We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » In need of new thimbles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tiptop
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of tiptop
I have a set of 8 nesting Vernet thimbles in plastic. I find that they don't nest very well, they have little lips around the edges just little thing I don't like

They are great for single use while practicing but what I relay want is some good quality thimbles

What books do people have on thimbles that they can recommend??
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
The Joe Mogar book is excellent. John Carney has a great routine in his last book as well.

Bob Phillips
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Fakini makes a beautiful set of thimbles that nest well and have a nice grip to them. I believe Jeff McBride actually recommends them in his World Class Manipulation videos.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All the thimbles I have in my collection has a lip. Why don't you like the lip. It does not get in the way of the magic.

Currently, try Owen Magic Supreme for custome wood thimbles. These are turned one at a time so, they are very expensive in todays market. They only sell them by the piece.

Otherwise, Fakini and Mogar is the only thimbles I know that are on the market. You could also just go the the Fabric Store and by plastic and metal thimbles. These are the real thing!
Leland E
View Profile
New user
Yuba City
8 Posts

Profile of Leland E
Hi, a really great set of wooden thimbles can be aquired from Misdirections Magic Store http://www.misdirections.com/stage.html They are known as the Universal Thimbles. It comes with 8 red thimbles, ayellow one, a blue one, and a green one. Also there is a small booklet and two holders. The price is $30.00 The only problem I had with these is with the holders. I cannot keep the thimbles to stay in the holders. While I was practicing my act, half of the thimbles popped out of the holders and onto the floor. I felt like Carl Balentine. Otherwise it is a great product. Earlier I read a comment about the Vernet style of thimbles. The writer had problems with the lips. I agree with them. As I worked with my Vernet set, I found that the lips would catch onto one another while I was trying to retrieve another palmed thimble. These wooden thimbles are much better to work with. That is just me, maybe I have not spent enough time with them. Also, they nestled but did not stay nestled as I worked with them. Maybe I should use some velcro to get them to stay together. Hummm... Leland E
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check the Porper banner ad and go to "thimbles" for a beautifull set machined in brass.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
The Wooden ones, the universal set, really are the best, you can also find them at http://www.world-of-magic.co.uk The only full-time pro I know of in the UK who performs thimbles regularly uses these thimbles. They don't nest, but that is a good thing, you can do more with a normal set, and faster too. The grip on them is fantastic, and with normal hands it isn't too hard to palm all 4/5 and reproduce instantly. The lip is there for a reason, it makes some of the more unusual moves possible Smile
The holders with the thimbles are a joke, but to be honest, I wouldn't expect anything else. Buy yourself some elastic and use the traditional elastic/fabric type (Buckingham teaches it in his book, and if you're doing thimbles buy that too). Even if you're doing pocket steals I'd recommend saving time fumbling by putting the holder in your pocket.

Paul

p.s. one last point to argue, with the wooden set you can re-paint them, this has 2 advantages, 1 you can customise them to your routine, and 2 if you paint them before a show, you can time it so they still have that little bit of tackyness left to help with the grip.

p.p.s. buy 2 sets, you don't know when they won't be available anymore...
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Abbott's magic has a nice set (they're ribbed), Fakini's are well made and Jeff McBride has a nice set on his website.
POOF!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kregg, when did you get thimbles from Abbott's Magic. They ran out of stock in 1980 as I remember it. Do they have a new supply, now?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
They're ribbed for your comfort? That's just too fonny! Smile

kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Bill,
I picked up my new set, last century, in the mid/late 90's. The new set is red spray enamel, not lacquered like the original set and the old jumbo was nicer. It's probably cataloged as Berlin's thimble set.

Yes Kent, they're red and ribbed- you deviated prevert.
POOF!
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Hi,
Some good books are the Tarbell course in magic, Routined manipulation, Edward Victor's magic of the hands trilogy and its okay but the tops treasury of thimble magic (this has all of the moves and routines posted in tops pretty much ever). I however do reccomend that you pick up Jeff McBrides World Class Manipulation DVD's and if you want you can also get the Shimada Manipulation (worlds greatest magic) DVD. All of these are good I believe that if you find just one helpful thing from each item you buy it was money well spent. You can buy all of these from the worlds best magic shop Denny & Lee

Hope that helps,

Sam
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
On the other hand, the lips on the vernets make backpalming a dream...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » In need of new thimbles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL