The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Higley's Mers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
For those who currently have Doug's Mers, did you ask for any special requests, poses, hair, teeth, eyes etc. or did you just leave it up to Doug's artistic ability. The photos of all of his past Hig-zibits are outstanding.

I recently ordered Dougs "How-to" manual and I think an Hig-zibit could work very well for me this summer.

Scott
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I can answer that for you Scott. I have over the years created more original mers than can be counted...more than likely the most in history (geesh) some for collectors or stationary exhibits and cabinets of curiosity and many many for road display (world wide)...in all of them, 100%, I have been given the courtesy and the nod to come up with whatever I feel at the moment....to me it is an expresion of art...to most of those commisioning one it is a matter of making money as well as having something I did as a personal expression. In 4 cases, that I can recall, a general 'look' was requested. ie: Scary for 2 of them and less human features for 2 others. Other than that general request I am left to come up with what I think will work for the person and that persons situation. (Yes...I screen the buyer!)I try not to make one look like anything made before my time...they are definately 'Higley's' rather than the PT Barnum 'look' which are antiques and seen as the famous Hoax by most who are aquainted with them and their Monkey Head sewed to a Fish Body...I try to avoid that look for both artistic reasons and to aid in the success of the Zibit in a modern Single-O situation where it is much better to be shown as an UNKNOWN rather than some antique concoction. The gaff is to have the 'viwer' twist their mind a bit thinking if it is possible it's real. So far, they have been great successes in that arena.

So in a general manner you are welcome to request BIG Teeth...however, whether they
will look right or not is left to me...as to pose...there are a couple of poses that I know work and there are a couple I avoid (like the swimming pose of the Ripley gaffs.)

And here is the KEY to your enjoying the piece...not as an ordered reproduced art work but as a One Of A Kind strange addition to a collection or your own show....

If I were to write you from Tahiti and said "Scott!! I just caught a Mer Creature!!! Wait till you see it!!! Holy Crap!"

And you replied..."Good Doug...I'd like one with Red hair...and big boobs and have the teeth filed down a bit and oh...can it be giving the finger?"

And I say..."But Scott...it is a Thing of nature...I can only catch them the way they were created...and this is a GREAT one! Trust me! I've been catching them for 35 years!"

and you say..."Nah...never mind...I know what I want..."

So that's the answer...might I add...anyone has had the option to RETURN what I make for them for one they would like better...and I don't remember that ever happening.

:)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
CAUTION!

ARTIST AT WORK!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
You bet your Beaby buddy! Cranky too! Well...on shipping day. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Higley's Mers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL