The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mark edward information (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
I notice that mark edward is rarely recomended on this forum. is there a reason? are the seance books he sells on his website worth getting?
any info on mark edward is welcome.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
If you can find a copy of RESTLESS PLOTS, you'll find stuff worth doing, as well as some good background info and starting points for research. Some of the stuff in RP (I'm not sure how much) has been released in other print media, so you may want to review a table of contents if you have any of his other works or periodicals with his published material.

Also, I am partial to his POISONED PEN seance script, but more for the concept and scripting than the effects contained within.

Chris
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
I also like his books MEDIUMS, WELL DONE and SENSE AND SEANCE. Mark was one of the Magic Castle mediums, and he has presented his seance in home parties and in at least one themed restaurant. His writings are those of a real worker, and show an experience in presenting the seance venue. He also has extensive experience working the psychic hotlines and radio call-in-to-the-psychic shows.
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Wasn't he also an exposer like Valetine? Seems I saw him expose spirit slates and other effects on tv a couple of years back.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I don't know about that. He has worked with Penn & Teller on the show "********" to demonstrate the fraud of John Edwards.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
The question as to whether Mark was an exposer is a valid question. There was a situation where (as I recall) some producers violated a contract and made a video recording of an explanation he gave to them. It was a deplorable situation that hurt Mark's reputation. This is, of course, not a reference to his work with Penn & Teller. That was really entertaining.

There is no question that he is one of the best minds in bizarre magic and mentalism. I do not have all of his books, but those that I have really are treasures. All I can say is "get them".
Beware of this and that.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Mark's a brilliant thinker and performer, and IMHO, a good person.

As I understand it, the thing for which he's caught a lot of flak from the magic community, was a bit on a program that was about exposing secrets of psychics. I don't exactly recall which bit...center tear or something, but the response is interesting. The TV producers used some footage in a way they weren't supposed to (there's a surprise...I've done around 150 TV gigs, and their contracts are rarely worth the paper they're printed on).

Some mage friends have foamed at the mouth about it, and would like to see Mark subjected to tortures they'd usually only describe as part of a bizarrist routine.

I think that the work was valid. I've met a lot of "psychics". Some try to fill my ears with dreams of what might be. Some try to cold-read me. Some use things like center-tears. The only accuracy was with the center-tear.

So the magic community has shut Mark out, and it's their loss.

I should also mention that Houdini and Blackstone were exposers, as were many other prominent and revered magicians. The feature story in MUM this month is about Marshall Bodein, who made a bunch of bucks, by selling secrets via TV. Oooooo, the bad puppy, he profited from exposure. And I've seen more exposure during badly performed shows, than I've ever seen on TV.

To compare with Valentino, is wrong. He did a series of, what, 5?, programs, which sole purpose was to expose. It's not the same thing at all.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
I want to also chime in and say a good work for Mark. Years back, he corresponded with me via snailmail and did everything possible to help me out in preparing a seance performance. He even edited an audio track for just the act. Only those without sin can cast the first stone.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Or bun.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
The show I'm talking about exposed:

The Phone Psychic bit with the chosen card revealed by the psychic

Smashing Glass

Self-Folding Bill

John Edwards preshow work

Spoon Bending

Scripted Cold Reading

Needle Thru Arm

Spirit Slates

Remote viewing

PK Factor

and other items

I could be wrong. It was a few years back and I didn't tape it. It also wasn't on Fox if I remember right.
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Id love to see that show.
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 15:47, oska wrote:
Id love to see that show.

Why?
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I haven't seen Smashing Glass or Needle Thru Arm presented by anybody who's claiming to have powers. All the others, I have. BTW, that list is far more extensive than what I've heard Mark accused of. But I didn't see the show, and don't have a tape either.

I continue to believe that if we pretend to have powers (and some folks say it's ok within a context of a performance) we're encouraging a kind of dishonesty that the world doesn't need. Maybe I'm stupid. Audience members incorporate some of what we present into their belief system, no matter how many performers deny it.

Is there some kind of insecurity problem these guys have, that makes them need to appear to be something they aren't? Does the audience profit from this? No, they leave with a lie. It's only the performer who profits. We can be gifters of dreams, without being anything other than entertainers.

If a performer's committing fraud, it's still fraud. We can be honest about it, or not. If not, I think, out them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
Well spoken, Mr. Newman!

I do dimly recall the show -- and it was another collection of "exposures" that, by and large, didn't bear much resemblance to actual methods. Spirit slates were exposed (and I think there was some baroque add-on, such as a secret assistant writing things down on the slate via a trapdoor under the table), and I *think* Mark Edward was performing an add-a-no piece, although I can't recall if he also supplied the explanation.

The next night at a show, someone flat out asked me if my slates worked like those ones on TV (ouch!). She also said that she had long ago seen someone do an add-a-no piece and she had never been able to figre it out ... until she saw it the TV show.

That said, I have only had one brief e-mail exchange with Mark Edward, and he's always seemed like an okay guy. He and I seem to be of a mind on the whole fake psychic thing.

Gee, it would be so unlike our community to gang up on someone for a percieved transgression, wouldn't it?

Be well, all.

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Thanks, Rory!

Ah, yes! It's not cynical if it's based in reality.

I regret that I can only continue this in spurts, but that's the kind of schedule I have right now. So...

I think there are honest and dishonest shows. Politics, for example, almost always entails dishonesty to one degree or another. Politicians think they have to please everybody, and try to, and once in a while, get caught in their lies. I don't need to name names.

Religion is another one, where there are often dishonest shows. It's not a question of one religion or another. There are honest and dishonest folks who preach in each of them.

So look at the honest varieties of performance. Theatre. Circus. These are the two main ones. They have different performing values and approaches, but the idea of each is...we're doing a show.

There's a lot of overlap among all of them, both in content and in style. Every major religion on our planet at the moment, in its formative years, had battles between the unbelieving magicians, and the truth-believing saints. The content is pretty much the same, and crosses the lines between how we currently define our disciplines. But the goal of the religionists, has always been to advance their own causes.

I had a friend once, who was a Gypsy. I dined at his house. We watched through curtains as marks came into his mother's sitting room, to have their fortunes told. But he chose not to go that direction. He just wanted to make an honest living roasting peanuts, and selling them. And he did.

Because he was a Gypsy, he had to be careful who he told about it. There are quite a few members of those tribes, who make a living by scamming, thus giving a bad name to all. My friend was, therefore, guilty be association.

I've known quite a few psychics, none of whom had any powers other than of observation. They use the same psych skills as any good therapist. And for some marks, who might have a stigma about going to a therapist, the psychics serve the same role. An honest show? No. Some value coming out of it? Sort of.

And I know a lot of magicians. Kardor, of the one-word response above, is a brilliant comedian, a great performer, and a nice guy, whom everyone should go out of their way to see. But would he claim to have supernatural powers? I think not. He's an honest entertainer.

As contrast, I know a guy who does an act that's straight out of Corinda. He doesn't know that, as he lifted his entire act from somebody else, and hasn't ever read Corinda, or any other mentalism book. He does a lot of standards, and claims to have discovered he had powers, at the age of four, when he looked into a puddle, and found he could make it ripple, just by thinking of it. Honest? No. Does he contribute to the value of his show by making claims like that? Maybe, but I consider it doubtful.

In order to support his claim, he does readings. One day, he told a girl whose sister was dieing of cancer, that the sister would have a complete remission within three months. Another time, a pregnant woman who expressed skepticism, was told that she was going to miscarry. The list could go on for a long time. It's pretty bad.

Does this guy deserve his paychecks? I think not. If he made no claims, other than to do a good show, it would be a different matter. As it is, I think he should be run out of business.

I like Jamy Ian Swiss's approach...he bills himself as an "honest liar". His show doesn't suffer a bit, for that designation.

There are many, who could learn from that approach.

www.bladewalker.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I realize that some folks will say, 'Oh, Harley's off on a rant," which may be the case. I also know that a number of folks are reading this discussion, who disagree with me. I'm interested in discussion. If I learn another way of looking at this, fine, my opinion is subject to change.

Here's a simple question...

What legitimate reason does anyone have, for convincing people that they have powers?

www.bladewalker.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

I don't think setting yourself up as a real source of psychic, supernatural knowledge and wisdom is healthy at all. But as a performer, neither am I bent like some magicians pointing out every 2 seconds that this is a hustle. People want to be left alone with their fantasies during the performance, just as they want to be left alone with their fantasies during a good movie. Let them experience the wonder of the moment. I am not asking them to sell their car and "come follow me" afterwords so I have faith rationality will reign.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

And BTW, Harley, I don't think the treatment of Mark is rational either. His knowledge is a treasure. Like I said, I have not seen the footage, just stories of it. And without both sides of the story, the issue is little more than rumor. I am not one to go along with any crowd for crowd's sake.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I wouldn't suggest that one neeeds a disclaimer every effect. That would get in the way of the show. I'm not even sure that one needs a disclaimer at all, just not to claim special powers.

Mark's treatment was shameful. Old friends turned their backs on him. Some speak ill of him whenever his name comes up, which they make sure it does. He received some rather serious threats. And he's contributed more to the artform than most of his detractors combined.

We castigate our politicians for lieing. We rail at the priestly pedophiles for their dishonesty. We get all p***ed off, when an advertisement turns out to have been misleading, especially if it's for one of our precious magic tricks. So another question,,,

Why do we, as a club of sorts, have lesser ethics than the civilization we live in? (I'm not suggesting that our civilization actually practices those ethics, just that we have them as ideals).

www.bladewalker.com
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

So folks, what is the best of his works to buy ? restless plots ? or mediums well done ? I allready own spirit theatre and seance, -
so I'm looking for material for seances.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mark edward information (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL