The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mark edward information (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
In my opinion Restless Plots is Mark Edward's best material.
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
And of course, "the haunted book of magic", by jim magus !
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2006-04-12 17:21, Harley Newman wrote:

Why do we, as a club of sorts, have lesser ethics than the civilization we live in? (I'm not suggesting that our civilization actually practices those ethics, just that we have them as ideals).

I think it because we have a bunch of bitchy, small-thinking people who don't treat this as an art and their fellow magicians as fellow artists. They think they can only stand above the crowd by stepping on others. That is evident in many of these forums, some of the comments I see are appalling.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
And if Mark is so bad, why are his books so hard to get a hold of! Caramba!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It'simportant to expose the fakes with their incredible 'powers' - helping out the police to find murder victims etc - what a cruel way to make money
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Oska

Do you mean the ARCANA OF BIZARRE MAGICK by Jim Magus, or The Book Of HauntedMagick by Rick Maue. Rick is much taller than Jim, but Jim has much more hair. Smile

plasticdestiny
I'm not sure where that came from, or where you are going with that.

I agree with Jim on Restless Plots. I only have the first edition published by Mary Tomich, not the expanded edition that Mark put out, but the material in there is excellent.

Tony
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Sorry Tony - I was absent mindedly following on from something up above regarding the John Edwards/Uri Geller types - didn't mean anything against Mark Edwards
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I was just a little confused. Thank you for clarifying.

Tony
Gotama
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Gotama
Restless Plots is definitely worthwhile to purchase. Mediums Well Done dreals more with the background and some of the performance concerns regarding seances. Interesting reading, but it may not be exactly what you are looking for based on your postings. If you are buying Restless Plots, however, you might want to add Mediums Well Done and Loose Ends to your purchase. You will not be sorry.
I asked the boy beneath the pines.
He said, "The master's gone alone herb picking,
somewhere on the mount,
cloud hidden,
whereabouts unknown."
(Chin Tao, 777-841, trans. by Alan Watts)
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3045 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 17:25, Harley Newman wrote:
I continue to believe that if we pretend to have powers (and some folks say it's ok within a context of a performance) we're encouraging a kind of dishonesty that the world doesn't need. Maybe I'm stupid. Audience members incorporate some of what we present into their belief system, no matter how many performers deny it.

Is there some kind of insecurity problem these guys have, that makes them need to appear to be something they aren't? Does the audience profit from this? No, they leave with a lie. It's only the performer who profits. We can be gifters of dreams, without being anything other than entertainers.

If a performer's committing fraud, it's still fraud. We can be honest about it, or not. If not, I think, out them.

Harley, it seems you're no longer talking about Mark and whether or not he exposed several mentalist tools on National television (and whether or not he subsequently received fair treatment from the magic community for his actions), and are instead mounting a soapbox with your personal views on the ethics of psychic entertainment.

If that's the case, this is probably the thread you want:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

By the way, as far as performers appearing to be something they're not -- that's Bizarre Magick to the core (which is the section we're posting in). One of its founding tenents is that effects be presented with the gravity and conviction of reality. It places the audience, at times, in the uncomfortable situation of having to sort out its own ideas about the known and the unknown. Andruzzi didn't let people off the hook with "it's just a trick." Does that make everything he created fair game?

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
402 Posts

Profile of Seance
Some facts: The tv show in question was "Psychic Secrets Revealed" aired on 5/26/03. Mark Edward was one of the presenters. He was showing how people such as John Edward (no relation) was reading people in the audience using "color-coded" chairs and information from aides before the show.

The other presenters exposed much more harmful secrets.

In my opinion, Mark was raked over the coals unfairly and wish that people would welcome him into the fold again.

I do agree that "Restless Plots" is a fantastic book as well as his self published one for advanced seance work, "Sense and Seance".
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
Yes restless pots is very good. I bought it in the end, based on the views expressed on this thread. thanks guys.
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
In my experience, Mark has never left the fold. While he has been targeted by a few, he remains loved and appreciated by most who know his name, and rightfully so.
Beware of this and that.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-04-10 19:45, Clifford the Red wrote:
I don't know about that. He has worked with Penn & Teller on the show "********" to demonstrate the fraud of John Edwards.

I wouldn't call John Edwards a fraud. I would call him an unsuccessful vice-presidential candidate.

John Edward is a different matter.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I've heard that John Edward is quite the ballroom dancer.
Don't know how you could fake that.

Tony
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
702 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
My personal experiences with Mark have been nothing but positive. I love his thinking, Love Restless Plots, I have the hardbound edition.
Mark has a very entertaining Mentalism show and his walk around magic is top notch.

I know that there was “something” that happened to cause him to fall out of favor with the Castle…

The only reason I no longer have contact with Mark is that I left LA and have lost contact with a lot of friends…because I am crap at keeping in touch…

Bottom line, I have always like Mark, his magic and his writing.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2212 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-08-26 23:29, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-04-10 19:45, Clifford the Red wrote:
I don't know about that. He has worked with Penn & Teller on the show "********" to demonstrate the fraud of John Edwards.

I wouldn't call John Edwards a fraud. I would call him an unsuccessful vice-presidential candidate.

John Edward is a different matter.

:rotf: either or one half dozen or the other Smile
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Does anyone remember the name of the movie where Steve Martin played a revivalist preacher using John Edward type 'readings' to scam his flock? So long since anyone saw it I could probably copy everything in it and become a millionaire faith healing evangelist.

Vote 1 Benny Hinn - Entertainer of the Year
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
702 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Leap of faith
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

But the "readings" were nothing like John Edward. They were directly out of the Peter Popoff workbook.

I have a different nominee for entertainer of the year, but we are not allowed to get into politics.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mark edward information (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL