The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magician vs. Mentalist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Ok -- who does the public percieve as

1: More respectable
2: More entertaining
3: More legitimate

I'm just curious.

I think that mentalists win out on numbers 1 and 3, but we are tied for number 2.
xxx
Dr. Zenitram
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zenitram
I don't think it's what you do, but how you do it. You can have a crappy mentalist and an awesome magician and the other way around. If you are entertaining that's it, you have to be a good entertainer. I don't think either one is better. It's like comparing comedies to horror films. The public will see a good performer as a good performer and a bad one as well a bad peformer.
Will you, won't you, ESP with me?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Almost every audience I know of would disagree with more entertaining and more respectable.

It is indeed how you present it. It has nothing to do with your medium, if your a good entertainer your a good entertainer period. Did someone just say that?Well he is completly correct.

Heck the distinction anyhow is one only we seem to care about anyway. Many people don't even know what a mentalist is till they are told. They are magicians to people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Maybe if we rephrase the question:

In a duel to the death who would win, David Copperfield or Derren Brown?

Corona
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Don't murder me - but I would say a Mentalist is a certain type of Magician... and some magicians do a good job of mentalism and mental magic (if you think there is a divide in that too) - didn't Anneman say mentalism if just an evolution of magic...hence it reminds me of ol AD&D where you had a Fighter class and could subspecialize in being a Paladin, etc... or I guess a better analogy The Magic User subclass of "Illusionist"...

As a mentalist, there is still break down our effects in terms of audience perception, methods, mutliple outs, etc. etc. but I wonder if the difference really is that mentalist tries to appear that it is possible that the person questions if it can be "for real" vs. vanishing an elephant looks cool but you know it is a magic illusion and although you don't know how, you know it wasn't the teleporter.....

As for respect - I'd say it isn't the type of magic/mentalism done but how much work and effort you put into your act and your audience management skills that will convey rspect, entertianment and legitimacy....

IMHO - What the heck do I know?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr. Zenitram
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zenitram
Quote:
On 2006-04-10 17:00, Dr Spektor wrote:
Don't murder me - but I would say a Mentalist is a certain type of Magician... and some magicians do a good job of mentalism and mental magic (if you think there is a divide in that too) - didn't Anneman say mentalism if just an evolution of magic...hence it reminds me of ol AD&D where you had a Fighter class and could subspecialize in being a Paladin, etc... or I guess a better analogy The Magic User subclass of "Illusionist"...

Props on the AD&D comparison...
Will you, won't you, ESP with me?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I hate this debate more than anything else on the Café. First off who cares? Only Magicians and "mentalists". I consider them to be the same thing just for the record. The style is different but in the end it is all just "tricks". Spectators only leave thinking. That sucked or that was great. That is what they remember. Not what your title was!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Armed only with tridents.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey Corona - I love your signature quote - that is a good one! Any source? I'd love to use it in a presentation sometime....!!!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I think it is as old as the hills, by my favourite author, Anon.

Probably Sufi,

Should be out of copyright by now.

It is a favourite of my Irish Granny along with 'there'll be whigs on the green'

Corona
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That Anon guy is a genius Smile... hehe
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
The winner is the performer who completely arrests the audiences attention and sustains it for the entire performance. They give the audience a wonderful and amazing experience while fascinating them with their personality and gently helping them believe in miracles along the way. They includes elements of sight, sound touch and imagination in the audiences experience of the show.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
Don't murder me -

You are right to be worried
Liverpool has ten times the national average for murders and murderers
It has been proved that Jack the Ripper lived here and travelled by train to kill
women in London
Liverpool is going to be the City Of Culture in 2008
A statue of Jack is being erected outside the town hall and will be unveiled on
New Year's Eve 2007'8
Cheers
TJ
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
Quote:

As a mentalist, there is still break down our effects in terms of audience perception, methods, mutliple outs, etc. etc. but I wonder if the difference really is that mentalist tries to appear that it is possible that the person questions if it can be "for real" vs. vanishing an elephant looks cool but you know it is a magic illusion and although you don't know how, you know it wasn't the teleporter.....

As for respect - I'd say it isn't the type of magic/mentalism done but how much work and effort you put into your act and your audience management skills that will convey rspect, entertianment and legitimacy....

IMHO - What the heck do I know?

OOOOOOOHHHH! A socerer VS a psion! Like D&D, it depends on who knows their stuff better and who does a better job of execution. On any given day, either side can win. Just like in real life. The same magician and mentalist can perform to the same 5 audiences and get different results with every audience. It's nice to see that I'm not the only ubergeek (magic AND D&D) in the Café! Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Wouldn't the psion be able to control the sorcer's mind, and therfore get to use both psion powers and sorcerer powers? Smile

More seriously in direct answer to the question, my first thought when I think "magician" is along the the lines of classic stage performer style magician, ie, showy, lots of, well, toys.. (ie, spongeballs, etc etc.. ie, stuff) entertaining but "showy"

my first thought with regards to mentalist is someone, well, I honestly don't know what term to use other than "clean"...

I don't mean quality of performance, I mean my first thought is well lit ordinary area, performer not dressed in extra showy stuff like tux or whatever. Maybe just a nice suit or whatever, etc.

That isn't as clear as I'd like, but those would be not necceserally how I'd view the two, but what first pops into my head when I think magician or mentalist.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I agree with you and would add that magi tend to wear pointy hats or top hats, and a mentalist would probably wear a trilby or bowler and perhaps an eye patch.

Corona
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Personally, I'd place my money on a Mindflayer anyday
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Eye patch arrggghhh! that's what we need more of!
Psy-Kosh
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
135 Posts

Profile of Psy-Kosh
Ninja Mentalist vs Pirate Magician!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I think David would be a bit handier with a trident (more experience) but Derren may be a little sneakier.

Corona
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magician vs. Mentalist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL