The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Saving money on tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

budsie175
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of budsie175
This is probably not new, as I am here, but I have been able to pick up some nice items at ebay. Some new, some used, but never any problems. Recently Tabers 2 DVDs on rope tricks $9.50, Sanders Fiber Optics $14.50 and a nice set of 8 8" steel rings for $15.00. Worth a look I think.
Neil Marriott
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
15 Posts

Profile of Neil Marriott
Aye eBay is good if your willing to spemd a fair amount of time trawling through the rubbish. I found a guy who was updating and backing up his video collection to DVD. I got Greg Wilson's On The Spot for a good price as well as some other good deals on videos.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
In the "Ever SO Sleightly" forum, Bill Palmer has warned about people misrepresenting or overcharging cups and balls on eBay.

Be careful about buying expensive, rare, or collectible items.

-Daniel
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ahhh cups and balls on e-bay- no commento from moi. Ha ha, but yes listen to Bill on this. He is sooo correct.

I would just recommend being wise about what you buy on the internet- on a site where the world is open to you and it's many people.

Be smart- shop at magic shop- my suggestion: Denny & Lees.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Buy utility items ie.Thumbtips,shells,cards ect.Books and DVDs are also a great idea.To spend money on individual tricks is not alwals a waste,but most of the time...You'll get better value by investing in literature.
Andre
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
93 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
I have bought the majority of my items off of ebay. I've found that I can save anywhere from 20%-65% off of retail.

Now, having said that, I feel a little guilty when I'm not supporting my local shops. But let's face it. This habit, I mean hobby, can put a serious dent in your bank account. So I do still try and purchase locally once or twice a quarter.

Be aware that ebay does have its fair share of bootleggers and crooks so you need to buy from reputable sellers.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I got my Johnson cups off ebay. Saves about $100 off retail. They guy had just bought Sherewoods. I've bought several cheap tricks that were worthless except to look at them and decide that I might want to get the expensive version. Sort of like buying Morrissey cups before Johnsons. I did my egg bag that way.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Just won 2 shells for less than a 1/4 the price retail
Also have some bids in for US and OLD english coins...

Thinking of getting a jewellers eye glass for a back in time rather than dishonest abe type effect - size/dates... I have a feeling the eye glass could be also used to load a coin?
catch you later

Clarioneer
psyrules510
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of psyrules510
I got jipped a few years back on a set of cups. Paid a hundred bucks thinking it was actual cups and balls but it was a dvd. Yea I dunnno how I made such a big mistake. that's what you get for not reading the description thoroughly.
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quality magic is expensive. The props often are difficult to build and/or they need to look special when they are ordinary, or ordinary when they aren't. Props should be well built to last for years and the market is relatively small for most effects. (Read supply & demand)

You can save money by buying knockoffs, but don't. You CAN save money buying on E-bay, if you know what you are buying and who you are buying from. Do your homework or you may get burnt. A good relationship with you local Brick & Mortar Magic shop will probably save you money in the long run. Individual tricks may cost more, but they can advise you about the quality of the tricks and steer you away from the cheap stuff that you might otherwise waste your money on.

Magic was once sold almost exclusively through catalogs and misrepresentation was rampant. I fear that we are headed that way again. Keep the local shops alive. They are an incredible resource!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Tyler_magic_skater
View Profile
New user
Florida
26 Posts

Profile of Tyler_magic_skater
I have a friend that has bought like 300 old old magic magazines from ebay dating back to like the 50s and 60s. some interesting stuff in there.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Well I can't blame you guys for trying to save money. And there are things on E-bay that are sometimes really hard to find these days at our local Magic shops.
budsie175
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of budsie175
My closest magic shop is 45 minutes away and is closed most of the time. I compare the online shops to ebay before buying so I do feel comfortable. Yet to be taken advantage of.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Saving money on tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL