The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's Brent Favor Going to Do and When Will He Do It? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Vandy, is it just me, or is this getting old?
"Go Browns!"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
It's getting really old!! I'm serious, at this point I don't care what he does. Play, don't play. Whatever. There was a press confrence last weekend to announce that no decision had been made. What's that??

I love Brett Favre, he can play as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. He's earned it. But I'm getting tired of this attitude and this waiting game. Make a decision already!!

I'm so down on Ted Thompson and what I see coming for the Pack right now. I just have the feeling that they may slide right back to the bad old days. They have to get their **** together and soon. I can see why Brett wouldn't want to play for the orginization anymore. They haven't done ANYTHING to improve the team from what I can see. Javon Walker is gonna be gone. It's something of a mess. But I agree, it's getting to be a joke, and even around here where Football is King and Favre is God, people are getting real annoyed with the nonsense.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
The press conference was for his golf tournement. The media said he would announce his descision. If he announced right now, how would that change anything.
He wants to play on a winning team and he hasn't seen THE BIG signing that will turn the team around. I think he will let the team know before the draft.

I hope he plays, I want to see him play again.

I will probably be going to a game in Sept., Saints or rams.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yeah I know, that press conference fiasco wasn't really his fault. He even said it was stupid for all the press to show up looking for a decision. But it has dragged on too long. If he announced now at least the team would have an idea which direction they need to go.

I think he wants to play but is skeptical about the Organization. I don't blame him, I'm skeptical too. The team has gotten much worse in the last two seasons, not better.

If I were advising him I would say "Just do it. Make the farewell tour, take your victory lap, enjoy the adulation. You know you want to. Just do it. You earned a farewell tour. Do it for the fans and the game and for yourself. Just do it for Gods sake. You know you want to."

Vandy
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Not really a Pack fan, he dais as he bled Cowboy blue, but I would advise to get while the getting is good. I loved watching him play though. I wish there were more like him in football today.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Vandy, even the local sports talk shows are talking about it! A lot! Locally here, we have 1460, which is the home of Ohio State football and basketball. Anyway Kirk Herbstreit is one of the local hosts, as is Chris Spielman. Anyway, they are even talking about it here in central Ohio!

Signing one player is not going to turn any team around. Football takes more than one guy to get it done. You know what the Browns GM, Phil Savage said? He said the Browns of last year had some 'good' football players, but to win in the NFL you need great football players. So they went out and signed a punter! Now, they did sign the Ravens punter, and LeCharles Bentley, and a left tackle, and oh, yeah, Willie McGinnis. And Ted Washington to play nose. And Joe Jerevicius to catch the ball. Plus, if we're lucky Kellen Knievel will be back this year catching passes and not wrecking motorcycles. Add the draft picks, and there is hope and excitement for Browns fans- we hope they are better and we get excited thinking Bernie Kosar might come out of retirement!

As for Favre, what could he possibly be waiting on? Either he's playing or he isn't. It just seems to me that he knows and he should at least tell them. What if they don't think Aaron Rogers can get it done. Do they draft a QB? Or do they bet that Favre comes back, and then he stiffs them. Then they have to go out and beg Tim Couch to come back! That's not an ideal situation.
"Go Browns!"
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I'd like to see him retire. The couple of games I saw him in last year he looked ready to retire. He had flashes of greatness but for the most part he looked out of it. In fairness, he did play for a bad team. That same team returns next year. It's time for the Pack to rebuild.

Favre has his health, opportunities with the team and broadcasting and is locked into Canton. I don't see much good out of playing another year. Just my opinion.

Great player.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I think he can still play and still deliver. I agree that the Pack is a bad team right now. Ok, maybe not BAD but mediocre at best. But I believe there are a handful of teams that would become instant Superbowl contenders if you plugged Favre in the lineup. Look at the Chicago bears (turning my head and spitting on the ground). I believe they could become a dominant team with Favre at the helm. There are a couple of others as well.

If Favre comes back the Packers still won't be a great team. But they will be better than whatever they have to plug in there. Favre is such an intresting player. He can hurt a team as much as he can help a team. The fact that the Pack sucked last year is as much a result of some of Favres bonehead plays as anything. Favre is a gunslinger who makes some profoundly STUPID plays at times. He has always been that way. But if look at great packers teams you see that they were so deep and so talented that they could over come 1,2,3 or 4 dumb plays or picks per game.

Just look at the roster the year the Pack won the first Superbowl with Favre. It's mind boggling the talent they had on that team. Number one Defense in the league and the number one Offense in the league that year. They were just stacked. As the talent diminished so did the victories. But Brett has played pretty much the same. Last year he just went off the deep end with the picks. But he's always thrown a lot of picks.

I hope he plays one more year. If the Pack is gonna suck, then I'd rather watch them suck and at least have the knowledge that it is Bretts last year and enjoy that part of it. Favre has been here a long time. And when it was time to play Brett was ALWAYS there to play. ALWAYS. It's gonna be weird when he's gone. So I'm hoping for one more.

I truly believe he can still play. He can still gun the ball (after 15 years in the league) in ways that VERY few people can. Even last year I saw him thorw a 40 yard FROZEN ROPE that made me shake my head in disbelief. I'm talking a 40 YARD LASER BEAM!! Just an unreal pass. The guy can still play. He's NEVER missed a game, EVER. He can still move and he can still sling it like nobodys business. I hope he plays, but I'd like to know one way or the other one of these days soon.

Vandy
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Vandy-

Your points are well taken and valid. He definately can be a 1 or two year fix to a team on the verge and in need of QB help. They would have to free up some serious cash though. His value can also be in mentoring a young QB who just isn't ready yet.

I wasn't even considering him going to another team. I would hate seeing him in another uniform. Like seeing Joe Montana in the KC red or Willie Mays as a Met.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I would hate it too. And he has always said that he would never play for another team. But who knows? Only yesterday Madden was saying that he thinks Favre could be dealt to another team. So who knows? Stranger things have happened. I never expected to see Reggie White play after he "retired" from the Pack. But he did.

Regarding mentoring a yound QB. Favre made some very odd comments about that last year. When he was asked if he was mentoring Rodgers. Favre said no he wasn't and that it wasn't his job to do. He said he was a player not a coach. It was really strange. I wonder sometimes about the Greats trying to coach. Very often it just dosen't work. I think it would espically hard with Favre. You just wouldn't coach a player to play the way Favre does most of the time. Good or Bad. LOL. Plus I can imagine how frustrating it would be for Favre to try and teach someone how important it is to be there for your team etc. Let's face it, Favre is one of the toughest guys to ever play the game. Never layed out on the field, never missed a game. You just can't teach that. And tough guys can't stand it when other guys aren't as tough. They don't understand it. Favre would go nuts. LOL
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2006-04-13 11:53, Vandy Grift wrote:
Let's face it, Favre is one of the toughest guys to ever play the game. Never layed out on the field

He laid out for Strahan!!! LOL

Very odd comments about mentoring. Sometimes the mentoring is just by observing. And nowadays it is as much about handling yourself OFF the field as much as on the field. Dealing with the media etc...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes he did layout. That was disgraceful. I have to believe that after all the crap he got for that stunt, that if he had the chance to do it again, he wouldn't. Because that was a joke. I remember how angry Matt Tauscher was after that game. Tauscher HANDLED Strahan all day. Then Favre crossed his teammates up and gave away the record. When Tausher was asked about it, it was all he could do to keep from blowing up. All he said (through gritted teeth) was "go ask HIM (Favre) about it".

I have to admit. That was an absolute disgrace. I wish you hadn't brought it up. Because I have tried to block that episode from my memory.

But I don't think he did it because he wasn't tough, I think he'd fight Strahan if he had to. I think he did it because he was STUPID.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
LOL Sorry for bringing it up.

I remember Gastineau on the sidelines and the look on his face. I was waiting for Gastineau to explode since he had a such a checkered past. ( I once met him in NYC and he was cool.) To his credit, I never heard Gastineau cry about that. I could be wrong but I would think the record holder would go crazy.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I give him credit too. Because they made him come down on the field and participate in that fiasco. I'm surprised he showed up for that. He showed a bit of class there. Because it was a farce.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Hey, L-Moon, and Vandy:

If I read one more post from you two without mentioning the Browns, I am going to ask the moderator to remove this post!

Now you can't say things like 'Butch Davis, Carmen Policy, Tim Couch, or Dwight Clark.' But you can say, Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, Brian Sipe, Gary Collins, 1964, stuff like that.

So, who are the Packers taking at #5? There, I got the topic back on the Pack and the effect of Brett Favre!

Later,
Romeo Crennel
"Go Browns!"
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Unless the pack sign Arrington I think they should pick AJ Hawk. We need a good linebacker to help Barnett.

The comments Farve made last year about helping Rodgers were made before all the injuries. I said at the time, it IS Brett's job to win football games and not worry about some rookie.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
One mock draft site does have the Packers taking AJ Hawk from THE Ohio State University. You guys love us Buckeyes. Vinnie Clark, Ni'il Diggs, Vince Workman, John Brockington.....
"Go Browns!"
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Mstick-

Sorry about the Cleveland Browns exclusion so here goes......The Browns had an excellent Guard play for them in the 50's named Chuck Noll.

BTW...Jim Brown is the man.

I haven't been looking at the draft since Pitt is sitting at # 32. The one mock draft I looked at had them picking Lendale White. I can't imagine him still being around at # 32.

Getting back to retiring....Hey Mstick...You're a baseball guy....when is Julio Franco going to retire? That freak is 48 yrs old and still playing.

PS: Any of you sports fans ever check out that shoe on Spike TV Joe Vs. the Pro??
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I always kind of liked Favre for "helping" Strahan get the record. His heart was in the right place. As for the Packer tackle playing against Strahan, anyone who looks at the situation knows that he was not responsible for it.

I just thought it was nice to see someone making an effort to help someone else. Yes, it was pretty obvious, but....
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hey Jeff,

Long time no talk. I've got no games planned for this year yet, but went to 4 last year. Even gave away the tickets to the last game of the year to make a old woman's dream of one day seeing the Packers play a reality.

Later day's bro.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's Brent Favor Going to Do and When Will He Do It? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL