The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How long for an opener? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
Hi everyone,
I have a question for you. How long should an opener be in a stage show set to music with things like productions, vanishes, ect.?
May all your days be "magic" days
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
It would depend on your act. I have never heard of a set rule.
Usually they are rather quick. Mine lasts for 2 minutes.
Daniel Faith
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
You could have lead in announcement from Tim Hanning DVD, Pre Show build up, and a flash appearsnce, moving into production of your assistant. The timing is variable based on the routine, music selection, speed, announcement and othe similar variables.
Dennis Michael
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
My opening piece is just under 3 minutes. However, the first effect happens right away (A silk production) there are then 4 more effects that happen in the remaining time.

Thanks,
Richard
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Any length is the correct answer.
If you can't make it to a magic act, several performers sell DVD's of their live shows. Pick the performer's you most enjoy and start there.

Good Luck,
Kregg
POOF!
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Very good advice Kregg!
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
My opener is 2 and a half minutes but after about the 2 min. mark I start walking through the audience trying to find a helper for my first trick.
MAGISHAUN
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of MAGISHAUN
There really isn't a right time its just whats right for your style. If your flashy and want to amaze them then you can do a quick opener that's colorful and mesmerizing. Or something mysterious and breathtaking. I went to a show once where it was about 2 min if that and was spectacular. Then went to one that was over 5 min long. Now normally that's long but it was pretty amazing.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Well I guess if you flash the audiance then they would be amazed...Opps you said flashy,just reread it. Sorry ..hehehe. Couldn't help it.

Steven
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Steven,

Too funny. Flash the audience Smile. Depends on the person but the opener of this sort could be very short. Just kidding. There is really no magic number for an opener. Just as long as it is something that really catches the audiences attention. Good luck Pizzazz.

Patrick
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Opps, I was kind of hopeing that would just slip by everyone. Patrick way to funny with the add on, and now we return you to your regular family forum. The opening is really a tough one for some people. It really all depends on what you are trying to set as the pace for your show. I am working on an opener that will be almost 4 mins. and will have 4 different silk effects in it with a bunny production as the climax.

Steven
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
What is the Tim Hanning DVD?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
My opener is 3 minutes, 27 seconds. In the first portion of the opener, I run up on stage and get the audience clapping to the beat of the music. Then I produce a silk and change it into a cane. The silk reappears in my pocket where I take it out and move into a multiplying ball routine. From there, I move into a Jumbo Square Circle production, with the last item being a victory cube. I pop open the victory cube to produce my assistant.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1067 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Bairefoot,

Dennis meant to say cd, not dvd.

Anyway, here is the link: http://behindthecurtaindvd.com/page1/page1.html

--Tim
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think it really depends upon the routine itself.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I must agree with many others here. There are no rules that frame the opener Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There are no rules except don't be boring. The opener should set the pace and the tone for the rest of the show. It should be exciting and make everyone sit down and shut up to watch. If you can make their mouths hang open with awe, so much the better. The opener says that you are a magician and you are GOOD! Don't make it any longer than necessary to make that point. They didn't come to see your opener. They came to see your show! Now give them a heck of a good show to follow the great opener and follow up with a whiz-bang finale so they leap to their feet cheering and applauding. Got it?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Agreed, there are no set rules and one must find their own voice. My opener is eight minutes long and a good four and a half minutes in before anything magicial occurs.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How long for an opener? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL