The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » This is cute (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Maybe it's just me....but I don't quite get it??!!!?!!?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I get it,I think it's funny. I love the Onion.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
So it's supposed to funny. OK I get it. I wasn't sure if it was funny or just sad, and to include a little bit of exposure in there as well.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
It's satire. The Onion is a newspaper made up entirely of satirical articles. It's pretty funny, not as funny as it used to be, but still very good. I thought it was a pretty funny piece.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
The picture, by the way, is David Acer.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Its bathos, which in satirical terms, is the elevation of the the mundane to epic proportions. The idea is the author has juxtaposed the ordinary (a man who can't get his s*** together) with the extraordinary (a magic act).

By changing common phrases to give them a double meaning (i.e. "I feel like I've hit false bottom" "Unlike the four of clubs, these things can not be forced" and "I need to stop fooling myself and get back to fooling the audience.") he stengthens his juxtaposition whilst creating individual comic moments within the text.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » This is cute (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL