The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Edsel Chiu
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong / Los Angeles
326 Posts

Profile of Edsel Chiu
http://www.hottrix.com/html/Automatic%20Thimbles.shtml

http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php?m......id=14822

I did lots of research and most people recommand Steve Sheraton's routine. I am planning to get it, but which set should I get that is most suitable? White for one hand and colored for the other hand? Or white for both hands? Or colored for both hands?

What exactly do I need for Steve Sheraton's routine?

Thus, how long is the Steve Sheraton's routine and the Berland routine?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
"If there is magic, let it be an art." - William Shakespeare
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hot trix are nesting thimbles and Berland's are not. Berland uses regular wooden thimbles for manipulation. I did not know these were still available, as I thought no one made good wooden thimbles any longer.
Berland's should come with all the gimmicks you need to do the routine. Go with Berland's.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Here's a bunch of info on what's out there - http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magthimb.htm

Here's an outline of the Berland routine, including pic - http://magicref.tripod.com/books/berlandsthimbles.htm

As I suggested to Edsel in a PM, if you're new to thimble magic, go with the Berland routine. It's very cheap for what you get, and includes a holder that most other routines use as well.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I agree - the Berland routine is a great starting point.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only question I have is, is the Berland Thimble Routine still available? I was informed back in the 1980s that D. Robbins or E-Z Magic no longer had any supplies of this trick. Berland died many years ago, and was the supplier to D. Robbins. So are they the same quality turned wooden thimbles that were originally supplied, or are they the usual junk copies from India?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The Berland Thimble Routine is still available at a very reasonable price. I recently bought a dozen sets from my local brick & mortar store. The thimbles are still a nicely turned wood, and for the price ($8.95) you really can't go wrong.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Edsel Chiu
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong / Los Angeles
326 Posts

Profile of Edsel Chiu
The reason that I like the automatic thimbles is because I want to perform them with dim lights or even dark, so that they glow, giving it a theater atmosphere with music.
"If there is magic, let it be an art." - William Shakespeare
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
OK, what is a brick and mortar store? Does it actually sell bricks and mortar, and if it does then why are you buying magic from them? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am just curious.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5382 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-04-20 21:34, magic_man204 wrote:
Ok what is a brick and mortar store?

:)
This is a term that indicates a real "open-the-door-and-walk-inside-and-deal-with-live-people" store, versus an internet business.
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Ohhhhhhhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Edsel,
for the glow in the dark effect, why not simply white thimbles with black lights?
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Then you could wear one of those blank-faced white masks and wear black clothes. That would look cool. Just having the thimbles and your face glowing. It might even look cool having on white shoes that glow in the light so you would have thimbles+face+shoes+(tie)glowing. That would look sweet.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
The problem with white thimbles and a black light is that you'll need several black lights for the thimbles to show up from any distance. You'll have to lug all that equipment around, and take the time to set it all up. The blacklights will have to be fairly close to you, also. So, unless you're just doing a "Blacklight Act," the lights will be cluttering your stage area for the rest of your show.
The Automatic Thimbles are made with a glow-in-the-dark chemical. Charge them under a light, and you're good to go. Who knows how bright they glow, how long they glow, or how long they need to charge -- that'll be a gamble.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Please forgive this question in advance but...

Why thimbles? I have never understood thimble acts as they are hard to see from a distance and unless one is the "Magic Tailor" it doesn't make sense.

All the best ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well, I just discovered that you can take the protective lid/cover off a hairspray can (non-aerosol type) and it fits your hand just like a thimble. You could devise a routine by taking the cap off, spraying??? They jump and multiply, etc.

You really don't need to use thimbles. I have the Russ Walsh mulitiplying golf tees, which are similar. Also, I worked out a routine where you have a bandage on one finger and use it a la thimble routine. Also I wrapped a folded dollar bill around a fingertip and the rest is history.

Use your imagination... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Chapstick caps also work great instead of thimbles, but they don't tend to stack.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-04-21 01:40, Magicmaven wrote:
Edsel,
for the glow in the dark effect, why not simply white thimbles with black lights?

Usually, day-glow paint is applied to items to make them glow with black light. Check out the same places you purchase the bulbs from.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 15:18, gotmagic777 wrote:

I did lots of research and most people recommand Steve Sheraton's routine. I am planning to get it, but which set should I get that is most suitable? White for one hand and colored for the other hand? Or white for both hands? Or colored for both hands?

If you really have the interest, buy them all. The prices are not high. Perform and see which one gets you the most reactions.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6480 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Buddy Farnan is probably the best.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I have placed an order for the Berland thimbles (amongst other things) after visiting gotmagic777's link to Williams Magic.

I'm just posting to give my highest recommendation to Williams Magic. I didn't know of them before, but I will definitely be doing business with them long into the future.

There are some great items on their site but more important is their customer service. Sadly you don't find great customer service like their's much anymore. I was so impressed with it that I had to give it a mention here!

Cheers
Billy James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL