We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Sermons + Illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I did a search trying to find this and didn't see anything.

If this topic has been covered, I apologize.

I am a magician and I am also a minister.

For sometime, I have thought about illustrating one of my sermons with an effect or two sometime.

However, the thought always comes to my mind that by doing so, my sermons might not be taken as seriously by the congregation.

That in my attempt to illustrate the message, I might distract from it by doing so.

Does anyone ever preach with illusion here?

Where do you draw the line?

Thoughts?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I think it can work very very effectively. I posted a related thought on "grand illusion" thread in the good news section here. It is the last post as of this writing. It may give you an idea of my answer to your question. P.M. any time with any questions.

Curt
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I am a minister and a magician as well, and I do sometimes use a magic effect to illustrate a point in the sermon. I view it as a visual illustration, and basically use it as I would a verbal illustration or anecdote. If it fits the point of the sermon and isn't too over the top, I have found that it works well, and my congregation has always responded positively to it. I believe it is similar to a motivational speaker using magic in the speech. Barrie Richardson's book TOTM Act II has some nice routines along this line that I have used in sermons. Just don't let the magic overshadow the message. -Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Sermons + Illusion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL