The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Shape of Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I picked this out of AOA volume 3 the other day. I was a little sceptacle at first, thinking it was more of a throw away, but the reactions and responses I've been getting have completely changed my mind. I now think of this as quite the little gem. Anyone else doing this? If you have the book (or the video) I recommend giving it a try.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I use to do this a lot. Thanks for posting this. This is indeed a gem.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
...and you can add "Buck Naked" to the list of his more recent gems (from either volume 1, or the AOA video). Rannie, have you seen/done this one?
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Magicguy, this is one of my favorite effects for table hopping.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I can't seem to remember that one. I'll go check.
Thanks man!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
DermontWsup
View Profile
New user
Virginia but Japanese
2 Posts

Profile of DermontWsup
Where can I get the video? I am trying to get a good tricks for table hopping situation. please tell me if you have a good recommendation. Thanks.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I thought this was brilliant. Trouble for me was, soft Morgans don't make much of an impression. It's better with their money, I think.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 02:44, DermontWsup wrote:
Where can I get the video?

You should really get the books. Bigger investment, but much more bang for the buck. So much great material.

Anyway... try this:
http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=001636

Curtis,
I agree with you. It's a great one for working with a borrowed coin (I have much better luck with a quarter).
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
What's the effect of this trick?
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
You burrow a quarter, and create a heads up rubbing of it onto a piece of aluminum foil. The quarter is dropped out of the foil tails up, and the rubbing changes into tails up as well.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Does anyone know--does this work at all with a chewing gum foil? Maybe a particular brand? I'm trying to get this to look a little more "organic".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Great idea, Curtis! I'm going to have to try this. From what I remember (I'm not much of a gum chewer) Wrigly's foil wraps are thin enough where they might work.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I'm not sure about chewing gum wrapper, here at least the foil is different to kitchen foil,it is quite thin and as one side is paper, I'm not sure you'd get a good enough rubbing. Maybe a pencil rubbing on some paper might work?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yes, pencil rubbing on paper would make for an interesting effect. It would also require a different method, and would most probably not be completely impromptu. However, "Shape of Astonishment" done with a pencil rubbing would be a very cool companion piece to that David Roth routine where you stamp impressions of coin on a pad, then cause them to move around and become real.

I wish I could say I just thought of that, but it's an idea Kainoa and I kicked around back when AOA came out.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I think penccil rubbings could be a good motivation for a lot of coin effects. One I read and, hopefully improved!, was to use a pencil rubbing as a start to Holy-Moly with coins; a spectator takes a rubbing of the coin with a pencil, give the coin to the spectator, using the eraser on the end of the pencil rub out a little hole of the rubbing which transfers to the coin.
You could do this on a business card, or a piece of flash paper, or perhaps on a small bit of paper, which you fold up, SP for a copy without the hole rubbed out, give a magic wave and the hole has transferred.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Interesting. You could also do the rubbing onto a cigarette paper (extra wide) giving an odd link to the Leipzig effect.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I use to do the pencil rubbing on flash paper for "Fire Trap". The effect where the signed coin ended up inside the layers of a match pack. Rubbing the outline of the coin on the flash paper made it look as if the coin was still in the paper long after it was gone .I believe this was in the instructions for the effect?
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 18:46, Curtis Kam wrote:
Does anyone know--does this work at all with a chewing gum foil? Maybe a particular brand? I'm trying to get this to look a little more "organic".

So... I actually tried this with the wrapper from Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum. It's not quite as clear of a rubbing as it is on plain foil, and you absolutely must use an eagle back quarter, but it really does work. This was a great idea, Curtis. Thanks!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks for doing the R&D. This is sounding better and better.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
This is one of those effects that I haven't bothered with. Now... I will have to give a once over! Thanks for bringing this to light.

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Shape of Astonishment (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL