The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What to do if you get busted. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
I perform the "Streets" (hallway in-between classes) of my school. Every body loves it but there are few people that are constantly trying to figure out my secrets. I am finding it very hard to perform with these. Especially when they get physical and grab my hands while trying to perform for other people who love what I do. I cannot use my raven any more because, well I go to a small private school and the word spreads so my tricks are constantly being foiled. What should I do if I do get caught performing and need to say something...

Also, I can't stand people get cocky and before they even now what you are doing they say "Pull your sleeves up first." Well the trick is in my sleeve so I can't.

I am just really stumped. Most people love what I do here but there are those few. I don’t want to quit performing. Any advice? This is REALLY getting me down.

Thanx and Merry Christmas
Smile
Jack Of Hearts!
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
Do a trick that happens in their hands like the 2 card Monte (this will make them look stupid) but they will also be amazed. This should then stop them from questioning your tricks. Even better, do the coin bite (sold at ellusionist) with "someone else’s coin"
They will be like

:wow:
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Spoiled brats are everywhere, not just in your school, but nonetheless, they have no respect for others and only want the focus to be on themselves.

They simply need to be taught what is acceptable and what is not.

I use peer pressure on them.

"If you keep grabbing these things, then you are ruining it for everyone else because I will simply not perform anymore if you can't just enjoy the effects like everyone else."

"If you want to know how to do, go buy the effects, and practice them, and then I will come around and grab them from you! How will you like that?"

"If you would like to perform for these people, then go ahead. But if all you can do is interrupt me, and grab at things that you don't understand, it sure seems rude for you to interrupt everyone else's enjoyment."

Or make a plea to the onlookers, saying, "I am sorry that I can't continue, but this kind of interruption takes too much away from the enjoyment that I was hoping to present."

I recently had a college student friend grab at my Hopping Half coins as I displayed them. I simply took my hand back quickly and said I am sorry that you did that because now, I cannot continue. She apologized, as the others in the group kept asking me to show them more, and I said, "I am sorry, I cannot." Finally, she promised to keep her hands away, and I relented - and watched her out of the corner of my eye...

But you can't put enough pressure on them alone. Get the other members of the audience, no matter how few, to pressure them.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3321 Posts

Profile of Looch
Mmm. Tricky question, but I'm sure if everyone gets their heads together some good advice will come through. Here're my 2 cents.

To the ones that are, as you say, "cocky," and trying to ruin your performance, you will always get that. It's just part of life. Now, to try and eliminate these little sods, I'd say perform something that doesn't recquire a gimmick. It's hard to suggest what, as I don't really know what style of effects you go for, but maybe perform a card force and present a simple mind reading effect. You will be left clean, as once the card is forced, the spec can hold the deck, leaving you free to be examined to their heart's content!

Persevere and good luck.
Spade
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Spade
This happens to me all the time when I am practicing in front of family and friends. The best thing to do is exactly what broDavid has said. Tell them you won't continue and surely other people will come to your defense.
StreetWalker
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of StreetWalker
Hey,

You don't need sleeves for the Raven. This is a concept many magicians fail to see. The Raven can be connected anywhere. You go to a private school which means you have uniform? right? Well, hook the Raven somewhere else (pm me) and do the Raven in long sleeves. If they say take your coat off, do it. Then do the trick again in short sleeves. IT WILL BLOW THEIR MIND'S AND SHUT THEM UP and that's because Stone Cold said so.
"The ability to amaze those who don't care is better than the ability to amaze those who do."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Learn sleights that go unnoticed...one-hand top-palm...or tricks that mess with the spectator if they try to anticipate.

"That's It" by Eddie Fechter

By the way, the "streets" you perform on are probably the worst, in terms of manners, you will ever find.

Keep the effects short and surprising and don't do them until you know you won't get caught.

Work on your top change. Smart-alecks love attention and will take it away from you. You can use it to your advantage and do a top change while they're mouthing off.

They won't know it, but they will be helping you do misdirection.

Don't try to make fun of anyone though. Smart-alecks love to make fun of other smart-alecks. Once you fool them badly, they will be making fun of each other and you'll be getting all the babes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
By selecting your school hallway as the venue in which you perform, you are already putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

I'm not saying you should quit performing. But I will suggest that you might choose a different time. Before and after school, maybe during lunch.

Also, only perform now and then...not every day, all the time. I think that if they have the expectation that "every time I walk by there, that kid is doing a trick" then it's much easier to a) ignore or b) sabotage. You become a very easy target.

If your performance is REQUESTED, then you are in a whole different ballpark.

(Shouldn't you be getting on to your next class, too?)

Best,
JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Haha. My school is very different. I don't have a uniform. I have 20 minutes inbetween classes so we all sit down in the sanctuary of the church and just hang out. But I dont perform every day. In fact, I hadn't had any new tricks in almost to weeks till Saturday when I received my Raven. I practiced all Saturday and Sunday and was ready by Monday. I performed, then the guy reached out and grabbed my hand. I perform the Raven in a long sleeve sweater and I don't use a break because its position afterwards allows me to roll up my sleeves.

I have a study hall and that is when I use the computers during the day. I am almost always on here. But I posted this email like 2 hours after it happened. I only perform when ask except when I tell my friends I have a new trick. They ask me to and I bring it to school the next day.
Jack Of Hearts!
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Well, if you really wanna get back at such people, do a watch steal. =) They really have nothing to say after you dangle that watch over their heads. I've done it before when they "can see whatever I'm doing."
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
Mental tricks are always a good way to throw a change up, if you know what I mean.
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Meeting force with like force never seems to lead to anything worthwhile. (I relearned this recently myself.) Instead of trying to put the hecklers in their "place", try winning them to your side. Show them a trick where they become the star for a moment. A thumbnail sketch: Flash a card to them as you raise your eyebrows, then turn to someone else and force the card on them. Ask the heckler what the card was, he names it and feels the glow of the spotlight. If you do something like that, they really will never bother you again, in fact, they'll be your biggest fan.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
936 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Gregory Wilson told me something really interesting when I met him at a lecture. He said that he does not immediately honor pressured requests for magic. (Odd, since he's the "On The Spot" guy, but you'll understand in a minute).

If someone gives the "Group Petition" to perform, Gregory politely brushes off the request in order to build a more special moment. He says that magicians who jump as soon as they are told too are the equivalent of a performing chimpanzee--and think about about how silly and exploited they've become.

If you were to, say, deprive those of their instant gratification, and make them beg for the moment, then you are in greater control of the moment--and have the moral high ground to discontinue the performance in the event that knuckle-draggers enter the fray.

So make them ask twice, if not three times, before consenting. They'll be much less likely to be invasive and rude.

As soon as we feel that our art is worthy of decent patrons, so to speak, we can hold our heads higher. And as soon as I realized that while magic requires spectators--it does not in any way need all of them, I became a much happier guy.

I hope this helps,

Ron
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Leipzig was right! Smile

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
Twenty minutes between classes? Smile That's just outrageous! When you decide to perform a trick in between classes (Twenty minutes... Smile pfft..) you may just want to invite a group of carefully selected friends to a place in the sanctuary away from other kids.

I still can't get over the twenty minutes between classes!
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
This has happened to me before. That is why I rely on normal card tricks with sleights. With 20 minutes Smile I could put on a little close-up show. Anyway, don't worry. I tell the people before I start that if they want to figure out the tricks do so. Just keep it quiet and don't ruin it for other people. I don't perform real magic (well yes I do, I use lots of Knepper stuff) but this is how it would look. Feel free to talk to me about the tricks after I am finished doing them (privately).

Thanks, hope this helps
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Thanks for all the help you have provided. I really look forward to trying these new tips that you all have suggested.

Yeah, I know...20 Minutes Smile I love my school Smile
Jack Of Hearts!
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
At one time I used to perform at school. I would do it in an empty classroom and have a desk in between me and them. This stopped them grabbing! Smile
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
Do the torn and restored napkin, the version where it looks like you're teaching them but in the end it is actually restored.
*POOF*
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
Interesting...make'm beg for it. Haha. Maybe it's my youth or that I'm still new to having killer routines, but I simply love performing and generally am the one asking them if they'd like to see a trick. Hrmm...maybe some more self restraint is in order. Haha or maybe I'll just let myself be a chimp for a bit. Besides, who doesn't love chimps?

~Spiff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What to do if you get busted. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL