The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » sense of touch » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3330 Posts

Profile of Looch
I read the reviews recently on Ian Rowlands site. I've never ordered online yet as I'm still a little unsure about safety but all that aside, the reviews are great, does anyone own this booklet? And if so, what do you think? And would you recommend it?
thanks in advance Smile
sokarnl
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of sokarnl
Hi I think this thread will answer your questions: Click Here!
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
You shouldn't worry either about ordering online, especially from Ian Rowland's website.

Why?

Because he uses one of the best online payment engines there is. It's called ePDQ and it's from Barclaycard Merchant Services (which, for those outside the UK, is one of the country's leading credit card acquirers - and it also happens to be the company for whom I work!).
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
morrison
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of morrison
Looch,

He's VERY fast at sending stuff out - unless you live in France. PLUS the method is superb. I have done SOT for muggles and magicians. They are left with the cards at the end of the effect, and in the dozen or so times that I have done it, I've never been caught out, or come close to being caught out, once! Smile

By the way, has anybody tried the Drew McAdam method that's mentioned in the book? It works very well for me, but apparantly not for everybody (without giving anything away, it seems to depend on the sensitivity of your fingers.)
firstron
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of firstron
I don't think it is that the effect is that good. It is more for magicians then for lay people.

fr
Gardinski
View Profile
New user
UK
66 Posts

Profile of Gardinski
I use Drew's handling of SOT all the time. It seems completely logical to me, and much more casual & natural. I haven't experienced any problems with reduced sensitivity. (If you're reading this Drew, thanks for your fine contribution to an already splendid piece of material).

I'm surprised by Firstron's comment. In my experience SOT goes down fantastically with laypeople. But, as with anything of this nature, it depends on your acting ability, and on the way you 'sell' the effect. If you frame it as a 'trick', then you're doing yourself (and SOT) a great disservice. It's a wonderful routine, and easily one of my favourites.

I would never dream of performing anything for 'magicians', because frankly I find them all irritating and deeply flawed as human beings, and try to spend as little time in their company as I possibly can.

Tony G.
PK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of PK
I too use the Mcadam method.

Buy SOT now - you must get it!

It's great and exactly as Ian describes it: no exaggerated claims whatsoever.

You are buying a unique principle with many applications.

Kevin
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1233 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Hey! I'm famous, and I have an effect named after me! It doesn't get any better than that... I just wish I'd come up with the whole ingenious concept, and had the writing skills, and the experience, and the drive to put it all together… (sigh!) best left to Ian perhaps.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3330 Posts

Profile of Looch
okok you guys convinced me Smile

just ordered it online, (my first online purchase yay)
thanks
sokarnl
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of sokarnl
a reaction on firston:

You mention SOT as an effect. I think the main effect desribed in SOT is not suitable for every accasion and that is some kind of agreeing with you, but the method (which is the real SOT) is excellent a can easily be used in many, many effects.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3330 Posts

Profile of Looch
recieved my booklet today, and after a couple of hours reading through it, im really happy, with what i bought. just tried it out on my own and got 2 wrong out of the whole pack, great stuff!

many thanks to ian for the great purchase and speedy delivery Smile
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
I would highly recommend SOT, very well written and as always with Ian rowland, very thorough.

It does work well for magicians, and I find in the right context with the right presentation works equally as well for the laity.

Tim
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
A friend of mine recently used me as a guinea pig to try Sense of Touch and it completely stumped me.
I do kind of agree with the above post that suggests that it's an effect better performed on magicians than lay people. A lay person might think "Well, the cards must be marked in some way, but I have no idea how", while a magician who already knows various ways of marking cards just can't fathom it out at all.
A powerful effect either way, but especially good to perform on those who think they're in the know.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3330 Posts

Profile of Looch
recently thought of a nice handwriting anaylsis using SOT principle, might post it in the banquet room when i get my 50 posts Smile
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1233 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Harry R writes... "Well, the cards must be marked in some way, but I have no idea how"

That's the whole idea - that's what they're SUPPOSED to think. Anybody who understands what's going on would realise that if they cards WERE marked, then there is only one possible way. That's why they are encouraged to study them under any conditions. And why they are allowed to handle the cards as much as possible. So, if they ARE marked (and it's either that or you really CAN do it)then they must be an extremely expensive pack of cards. The muggles agree... and you give them the cards to keep!

THAT leaves them with the only conclusion they can possibly come to. You really can read colour with your fingers.

It's all in the presentation... actually, it's not, it's also in the brilliant method behind this truly outstanding effect that leaves the participants to reach the only conclusion they can.
firstron
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of firstron
This is no magic
If the idea is to let them find marks and they can't then they think that they ddn't
find them . That's all.
No headlines and no TV shows for such a trick
and no magic.
This are for muggeles that wants to be magicians but they are not
Only muggles expose magic...
Smile
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Ho hum, here we go again with Sense of Touch.

1. SOT isn't one trick or routine. It's a principle.

2. At the start of my SOT booklet, I feature one routine called the SWIFT Challenge. It's basically about being able to tell red from black cards by touch alone under 'test' or 'challenge' conditions. I explain this routine to introduce the SOT principle and to show one potential application for it.

I do sometimes now wish I'd chosen another example, since so many people seem to labour under the impression that this red-from-black thing is all that SOT is about. It isn't.

3. The SWIFT Challenge isn't going to find a place in anyone's walkaround close-up repertoire, and isn't meant to. It's a nice thing to know about for when suitable presentational opportunities arise, especially if, in your work, you deal with questions about the reality of perception and psychic claims.

4. There are lots of other ways of using the SOT principle, and in the booklet I present a wide selection of them, although I suspect each reader will hatch his or her own (yes, I have some FEMALE customers!!).

Seasonal best wishes to one and all, including absent friends.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-12-13 01:27, Harry R wrote:
A lay person might think "Well, the cards must be marked in some way, but I have no idea how"

The way Ian presents the SWIFT challenge is perfect mentalism.

The presentation should come off as super-sensory rather than extra-sensory. Lines like "I always like to use a new deck of cards while the ink is still fresh" or "Bicycle cards usually work the best" give a subtle 'explaination' that seems plausible and eventually makes the most sense given the conditions under which the experiment is performed. It also explains why you wouldn't want to perform the stunt with a deck your buddy picked up at the souvineir shop on his last vacation.

Giving the cards away only confirms that other than being new, and perhaps a little easier to read, there is nothing out of the ordinary about the deck you are using.

Quote:
On 2002-12-14 02:59, firstron wrote:
No headlines and no TV shows for such a trick and no magic.
This are for muggeles that wants to be magicians but they are not
Only muggles expose magic...

Presenting the effect as the method solves that problem. SOT really is an excellent principle.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Hi Ian- jusy registered tonight .Hope SOT is
as good as it sounds. Sent you an order yesterday for Full FActs... Ahead of the Pack
SOT.(already got VAL ANDREWS Book Test works great on Kids with any Harry Potter book.Just sent off now to Mark for his SUC and RTW. So you see... your web site work o.k
Try and get my goods off a.s.a.p they are a present to myself for christmas.
I might drop you an e-mail soon for some advice.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
How is this princable different from the one that is used in the card swami? Is it a comepletely different method? Can someone answer that without tipping the method?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » sense of touch » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL