The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stigmata review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
gink103
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of gink103
Well stigmata was just realeased and I'm currently downloading it. I will be done downloading it in about 3 hours lol because my connection sucks at college. If anyone finishes downloading it and wants to give a review please do because I want to know if its worth all the hype.
magicpro212
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of magicpro212
I really don't see whats the big hype with this effect. Banachec Already has it out.
So its not like its a new thing.

Wanye is just pulling a magican, by changing something slighyly and calling it his own. Oh well.

Best of luck.
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Pretty much a rip off effect!!
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
From Ellusionist? You don't say... Smile
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
904 Posts

Profile of Phil C
I'm also curious how this is different from the one in PSI Series 2
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2006-04-17 21:19, Red Von wrote:
Pretty much a rip off effect!!

Oh yeah, especially sinse Banachec (sp?) is in the DVD Houchin put out. Obviously if he was getting ripped off he would appear in Wayne's dvd.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
It's the same effect packaged differently with all the cool marketing of Ellusionist. Everyone gets a cut of the profits and everyone's happy. Everyone except for the people who end up buying one effect, when they could have bought the Banachek DVD and gotten much more for their money. E's done it with almost everything they sell. I mean come on, $30 for the revolution. You can find a hundred variations of that effect in Bobo's.
magicpro212
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of magicpro212
Well that's magic folks.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I like this effect because it's impromptu but I wouldn't purchase it that's for sure. and about ellusionist , if you decide to purchase from them be sure to get as much insight as possible on the effect you want to get. because , as raphlo2 said , most of the effects are rip offs. the prices are horribly high.
so , I hope you will like stigmata , now that you have it. I really hope that it was worth the money to you.
all the best

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 05:16, magicpro212 wrote:
Well that's magic folks.

Well, it's a new wave of magic. Thanks to the whole street magic phenomenon. But really, what I call the real magic, the stuff that's lasted through the years isn't. I'm talking about old books, instructional dvds etc. And it's a shame really the state of magic today as it's turned into a quick wham bam buy this trick and impress your friends artform, and not the craft that it takes years to perfect.
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
I got this yesterday, and before I got it I was worried that I would be just wasting my money since I already knew the principle used from Body Magic...but I am very very happy to say I was not disappointed at all! Wayne is a thrill to watch and the teaching is very thorough, every aspect from performance to sleights used etc. are covered in tremendous detail and for $29.95 I wouldnt say its hugely expensive, I mean you get 3 routines for that price, several slieghts (you should know them, but if you don't you soon will!) and performance tips. Agreed if you don't have the classic books don't buy this instead but keep it on your list!

Jamie.
bradchristian
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of bradchristian
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 05:42, Matt Malinas wrote:
I like this effect because it's impromptu but I wouldn't purchase it that's for sure. and about ellusionist , if you decide to purchase from them be sure to get as much insight as possible on the effect you want to get. because , as raphlo2 said , most of the effects are rip offs. the prices are horribly high.
so , I hope you will like stigmata , now that you have it. I really hope that it was worth the money to you.
all the best

-Matt

Hi Matt!

Do you have some actual facts you can base that accusation on? I, for one, would love to hear them.

Thanks, Brad.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1164 Posts

Profile of Banachek
IF you are going to use an effect and make money with it, it is worth thousands. $30 is a steal for an effect that will give you a lifetime of use. Just my opinion.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
magicpro212
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of magicpro212
Bancheck:The effect was already published by you so whats so new here?
gink103
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of gink103
I have mixed feelings about ellusionist. I am a loyal customer but I have had some dissapointments on some of the effects from them. When ellusionist advertises an effect they don't give an accurate description of an effect if it makes the effect seem less amazing. For example "What if you could walk up to someone and tell them to think of a person, someone they care about and tell them to sqeeze your wrist and squeeze hard. When they let go there are red mards from where they were squuezing. What if you could cause the marks to visually rearange themselves to form the initials of the person they were thinking of?" Now in the preview video ellusionist never actually shows the effect being performed, so it plays amateur magicians to almost beleive in magic. here is the description of the effect on the page.

From Ellusionist and acclaimed performer Wayne Houchin (creator of Sinful, the signed coin through soda can) comes Stigmata.

The spectator thinks of anything. A name. A number. A memory. With the thought in mind, the spectator squeezes your wrist. Tightly.

When the spectator releases, red marks appear on your arm where they were squeezing. These marks of blood under the skin then slowly, visually, clearly re-arrange themselves into the shape of the spectator's selection. Seeing is believing.

technically Ellusionist is not lieing, they are just picking and chosing the parts of the effects that make it seem completely impossible. This is the actual variation of how the trick is.

You walk up to someone and pull out a business card and tell them to think of a person that is important to them, someone they care about. you tell them to write the name of the person on a business card while you are looking away and not to show anyone. You take back the business card and try and predict their selection. You tell them to reopen the business card and just write the first initial very large and circle it. You tell the spectater to squeeze your wrist and to squeeze hard and to visualize the initial of the person. After they let go they can see the red marks from where they were squeezing. The red marks visually FADE and the initial of the person they were thinking of appears in red on your arm.

That is an accurate description of the trick. This is an awesome trick and I give it an 8.5/10 but I think by ellusionist giving misleading claims that younger magicians tend to fall easily for them and will be dissapointed in the effect. This can causee ellusionist to eventually loose its young street magician fan base. Also Ellusionist should have more unbiased reviews by people, such as how penguin magic has it. When I buy from penguin I know the reviews are by regular magicians that bought the product and aren't edited by the staff.

Just my 2 cents
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Search these forums, Banachek has already stated where this version is an improvement over what he previously put in his DVD.

Ellusionist offers plenty of full, unedited reviews, both positive and negative. They're in the forums on their site.

They take snippets of those reviews for their product page, but the full reviews are available.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 18:00, gink103 wrote:
I have mixed feelings about ellusionist. I am a loyal customer but I have had some dissapointments on some of the effects from them. When ellusionist advertises an effect they don't give an accurate description of an effect if it makes the effect seem less amazing. For example "What if you could walk up to someone and tell them to think of a person, someone they care about and tell them to sqeeze your wrist and squeeze hard. When they let go there are red mards from where they were squuezing. What if you could cause the marks to visually rearange themselves to form the initials of the person they were thinking of?" Now in the preview video ellusionist never actually shows the effect being performed, so it plays amateur magicians to almost beleive in magic. here is the description of the effect on the page.

From Ellusionist and acclaimed performer Wayne Houchin (creator of Sinful, the signed coin through soda can) comes Stigmata.

The spectator thinks of anything. A name. A number. A memory. With the thought in mind, the spectator squeezes your wrist. Tightly.

When the spectator releases, red marks appear on your arm where they were squeezing. These marks of blood under the skin then slowly, visually, clearly re-arrange themselves into the shape of the spectator's selection. Seeing is believing.

technically Ellusionist is not lieing, they are just picking and chosing the parts of the effects that make it seem completely impossible. This is the actual variation of how the trick is.

You walk up to someone and pull out a business card and tell them to think of a person that is important to them, someone they care about. you tell them to write the name of the person on a business card while you are looking away and not to show anyone. You take back the business card and try and predict their selection. You tell them to reopen the business card and just write the first initial very large and circle it. You tell the spectater to squeeze your wrist and to squeeze hard and to visualize the initial of the person. After they let go they can see the red marks from where they were squeezing. The red marks visually FADE and the initial of the person they were thinking of appears in red on your arm.

That is an accurate description of the trick. This is an awesome trick and I give it an 8.5/10 but I think by ellusionist giving misleading claims that younger magicians tend to fall easily for them and will be dissapointed in the effect. This can causee ellusionist to eventually loose its young street magician fan base. Also Ellusionist should have more unbiased reviews by people, such as how penguin magic has it. When I buy from penguin I know the reviews are by regular magicians that bought the product and aren't edited by the staff.

Just my 2 cents

That's completely different from what they describe in their advertisement and that's exactly what I'm talking about. It borders on false advertising. It gives off the impression that there are no forces being used, when in fact that is completely false. And as far as Penguin is concerned, they're just as guilty of writing their own reviews. Trust me.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
Well, there is another variation shown on the video where you have a spectator grab your wrist, think of any number between 1 and 10, and then it appears on your arm as soon as they let go (without them ever saying it aloud or writing it down or anything). That's literally exactly what takes place. Granted, it's kind of risky, but for the type of reactions you could get, I think it would probably be worth it. I just got the DVD yesterday, so I haven't actually performed it for anyone yet. I'll put up more info after I've been able to perform it several times.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
williamtbrady
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
56 Posts

Profile of williamtbrady
Guys.

I agree that the advertisment does not explain the effect fully - but that's beside the point, it explains the effect from the SPECTATORS point of view.
That's the most important bit and the thing to remember, it's how the spectator perceives what has happened.

I too was a little doubtful and then dissapointed with this effect.
But I gave it a try and performed the version with the name on the card.

I can honestly say, in all my years of magic, this has gotten the best reaction to date - one guy had tears in his eye's as the initial appeared on my arm, and when I then said the full name he just freaked.
He knows I am a magician but did not even think it was a trick, he actually believed I was 'reading' his eyes to get the name, one guy said he would easy believe the stigmata was something 'spiritual' if had not known it was somehow a trick.

I think if I had seen this trick in a book with 100 others for $10 I would have read it and passed it by.

But to see it performed and then taught on video makes all the difference, you can see the power of the effect that just can not be appreciated in a book.

Worth every penny - buy it - try it - make a real reputation for your self..

Thanks to Wayne, Banacheck & Brad for releasing this Smile
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Quote:

But to see it performed and then taught on video makes all the difference, you can see the power of the effect that just can not be appreciated in a book.

I don't quite agree with that.. as long as imaginations there, reading will get attention and appreciation.

And... even if it was still argued that video > books,
while you might not be able to appreciate the effect through books, at least there'd be much less clones.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stigmata review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL