The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stigmata review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bob Saget Rocks
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Bob Saget Rocks
So, how difficult is it to perform this? What kind of setup?
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
There's pretty much no setup (as long as you have cards or a business card, if you're going to do those variations). A little misdirection is required, but it's not a big deal at all. Really, presentation is the main thing here, since the method is really straight-forward. It's really cool how the mark appears from the finger marks left from their hand. I've performed this several times over the last few days, and I'm still amazed at how intense the reactions are. I think it's definitely worth checking into.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Quote:
Brad has done a brilient job making magic cool and
exciting.. yes you can perform the old rabbit out of the hat found in the
old magic books and read the old patter from the old books, but please.

.......I strongly disagree with what you said about "old magic books"
There are plentiful of good and visual magic in books written in the "olden" days. The concepts, ideas and methods are still being reinvented these days so on what ground are you putting those comments about books?
Magic doesn't need video file/ad to be cool. If the persona's there, if you have that talent, there is no need to copy mainstream magic. It's cool on its own.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Very true. I couldn't agree more. When I first started magic as a teenager, it definitely was because I thought it was "cool". And in that respect I think Ellusionist does a great job at luring kids in. But as I got older I started to develop a newfound respect for magic as an art form. And in that respect books and teachings by the old timers have become more than just tricks to me. What surprises me is how much less I spend on magic nowadays, when in reality that's the material that should have a high price tag...not the single over marketed so called "cool" one.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6989 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Old rabbit out of the hat tricks in books...? What? James, are you serious?
NUMBERED - A killer predicted card at any number out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/numbered.html
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
James George,

I agree that Ellusionist has brought the "cool" factor way up in terms of how magic is marketed.
I think Stigmata is a great impromptu effect. Wayne Houchin has done a nice job of making this a "working piece".

That being said...
I take great pride in my "old rabbit out of the hat trick" books.
Yes the scripting is old, occasionally the methods are outdated and the presentations are not exactly 'Blainesque'.

However, it is in these "old" books where the effect "Blood Writing" is found.
It's found in The Magic of Jimmy Grippo, entitled "Blood Writing" and in John Fisher's book Body Magic, body trick #96.

"Remember it is far easier to kick over a sand castle then it is to build one. "
James George

I would argue that Ellusionist is "re-building" old sand castles and packaging them as new ones.
There's nothing wrong with that, but if we don't know where we came from than we don't know where we are going.

Bill Abbott
Bob Saget Rocks
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Bob Saget Rocks
Everyone has mixed feelings on this. Just one simple question for all who have purchased it. "Are you glad you paid $30 for it?"

and one more thing...is it at all easy to get caught? And How simple of a method is it...meaning, can someone figure it out after doing it to them mroe than once?
SleepingJag
View Profile
New user
NC
35 Posts

Profile of SleepingJag
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 17:11, Bob Saget Rocks wrote:
Everyone has mixed feelings on this. Just one simple question for all who have purchased it. "Are you glad you paid $30 for it?"

and one more thing...is it at all easy to get caught? And How simple of a method is it...meaning, can someone figure it out after doing it to them mroe than once?

Yes I am happy with this DVD.

But there are some that haven't even purchased the effect who seems to be able to review it.
Bethea Baker
The Price of Freedom isn't free
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
...yes you can perform the old rabbit out of the hat found in the
old magic books and read the old patter from the old books, but please.

don't plan on being cool.. plan on being a corny magician who belongs on the
shelf with the buggy whip...

James George

Jimfromsac, you've got to be kidding: "old rabbit out of the hat" found in the "old magic books"????

I'd like you to think about that after seeing Dai Vernon or Slydini perform. They were anything but "corny". Ever read Tarbell? How about Bobo's Modern Coin Magic?

What is really "new" about anything? What you might consider "new" and "cool" is just a repackaged, re-routined, chic'd up version of an idea taken from those "old rabbit out of the hat" books.

While Mr. Houchin has added some clever ideas to this age old art, I'm sure he would agree that they didn't develop in a historical void.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 17:11, Bob Saget Rocks wrote:

I'm very happy to have spent $30 on it. For the reactions you get, it's definitely worth it.

From my experiences performing it so far, it seems pretty hard to get caught. The misdirection is perfect, so it's not really a big deal. I performed it 3 different times yesterday for crowds averaging about ten people or so, mostly made up of different people, but there were a couple of spectators that saw it all three times and had no clue how it was done (they actually got more confused since I had different numbers/letter appear each time and they had initially assumed it was a one-time type of trick). I should point out that I was doing the variation where you have them pick a card and the value appears on your arm, and that the other variations might be marginally harder to get away with (though it's still not much of an issue). Also, you'd probably not want to repeat the other variations since the effect would be diminished (in my opinion). Anyway, the reactions you get with this are definitely worth it. A couple of days ago someone actually screamed when the mark appeared (with the variation where they think of a name). I'd definitely recommend checking it out if it fits in with your performing style.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4732 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
For those of you who are interested, I've posted my review of Stigmata Here!. Enjoy. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
That was a great review Steve. Thanks for the informative information.
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Agree! Nice to see a comprehensive and balanced review of this.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
MBrook3902
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of MBrook3902
The disc is going in the DVD player right...now!
It takes 4 to 6 minutes for the brain to die without oxygen. I can fix anything in that amount of time.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4732 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks everyone. I try and be as honest as possible whenever I review anything. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Have to say right off the bat that this is a beautifully produced DVD and oozes professionalism. Wayne is a natural on camera and offers a calm well ordered delivery style that's easy to watch and understand. The actual performances are fun and entertaining. I'd pay to see this guy's show...hey wait...I just did.

My DVD order came almost instantaneously, the fastest I think I've gotten anything I've ordered through the mail! So kudos to the Ellusionist order/shipping dept as well.

I really like the switches between the color and black and white...but that's me...love that B&W stuff. All shots are Crystal Clear without the crappy MTV jiggles some camera folk like to throw in. This DVD is for LEARNIN'.

All in all an excellent value, as well presented as it could be. (No dancing girls)

The trick itself is a stunner and the methods offered are all solid and not difficult to pull off. I must say though that from reading the Café posts prior to recieveing the DVD, I did figure out how to accomplish the effect (in fact I think the method I stumbled on is nastier and more 'in your face' than either Wayne's or Steven B's) but the DVD contains a lot of info you should have even if you do know the effect.

I'd say a 9 out of 10 is well deserved. I'll save the 10 for the Dancin' Girls.

Higley
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
Well it seems lie the craze for Stigmata has blown over. I think its a great effect I don't have waynes version yet I have the banachek version Im hoping for my birthday I can get waynes. Well tell me how it all works for you.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Works great for me. I've performed this only 3 times so far, but each time has been met with wonderful reactions.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
It is true that many of the effects of nowadays already existed and they were restructured so to speak. But we must admit that some of these reworkings are phenomenal and really take the effect in particular to greater heights.

Another example is pyro perception. The basic idea already existed but it took one guy to do it with cards and it is great.

Take Cyril, who's taking Japan by storm. Many of the tricks he does are old effects brought ot the 21st century. That's it. But he does it so greatly.

Finally I would like to bring out a real day comparison, although some don't like these analogies. We all drive cars, but more or less they work on the same old basic principles that started from the Model T.
Yours,

Ivan
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
I agree that the art of magic is constantly evolving. There are many new variations on old themes that make the effects much stronger. I'm always thrilled to see a magician make a sometimes minor change in handling and observe how the trick improves way out of proportion to the size of the alteration.

However - to say that the old books are "corny" and to suggest you can't be "cool" using those tricks is so absolutely wrong it's hard to believe that a real magician would say it.

Where do you think many of the ideas for recent effects came from? It's a great exercise to pick up one of the classics every so often and read through them again. Sometimes you'll see an effect you totally dismissed and will decide to work on it now to great results. Sometimes you'll see a trick you used to do but somehow just stopped doing - like it just fell off your mind like an old joke. And sometimes you'll see an effect that twigs an idea in you to work on something original.

To say that these books are no longer valuable is to insult the memories of some of the greatest contributors to magic of all time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stigmata review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL