The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How Many Tricks With 3 Quarters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All,

I'm pretty happy with the number of responses I got over in the 'Pick A Card' forum for the How Many Tricks With Four Aces thread and was hoping to start the same kind of thing here, soooo...

How many tricks are there using Only 3 quarters (3 is the max. you can list effects using only 1 or 2 if you wish). Please try to credit and explain the effect if you can. I'll start:

1. 3/4 Coins Across from Gregory Wilson's On The Spot:
Three quarters travel one by one from one hand to another.

Thanx!

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
My coins across Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8710 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Our very own Platt has a nice 3/4 Across he does rather simply, nicely and uniquely with his fanning pitch, where 3 quarters go invisibly from one had to the other one at a time with just a wave of his hand. Very nicely done, and he has a posted vid of it here. No need to go to a dvd or not see it at all...Hereya go. -Enjoy! Smile

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=......e=164735
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Check out "Three Pieces of Silver" by Rune Klan (SP).
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is a very nice Roth item called "And They Both Go Across".

My version of the Tenkai Pennies trick uses three coins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3950 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Long Term Short Term from the DVD The New York Coin Magic Seminar Vol. One - COINS ACROSS is done with only three coins, quarters, halves. etc.
ONLY A FEW BOOKS LEFT AVAILABLE FOR SIGNING!!! First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a VERY limited supply of books left that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT (worth over $25!) until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books usually ship the day after the order is received (excluding weekends)!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else had some thoughts...It seems coins across is popular Smile

Thanx,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I second checking out Rune Klan's material......you may have to alter the material a bit if your hands are too big for quarters, but there is quite a bit of material that can still be used easily.....
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Similar to the Wilson routine is Sankey's Mr. Clean Coins Across.

I believe Sankey uses halves, but I've been practicing with quarters because the Tenkai/Goshman Pinch, for me (small hands), is too angley, too exposed, and because quarters can be borrowed. I believe that's why Wilson uses quarters.

(Sankey may use quarters somewhere as the routine appears on about five or six of his videos and I haven't seen them all.)
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3263 Posts

Profile of warren
How about coins thru table,or elbow,knee & neck by daryl.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Do you want effects where all 3,2 or 1 coins are seen during the routine
or where one or two may be hidden?

I've done Hanging Coins with quarters. Using only 3 coins will work.
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
You can do a version of Gadabout Coins using only 3 coins, and no extra. In fact I think most four coin tricks can be modified to work with only 3 coin? Coins to glass can be done with 3, CSB uses only 3 I suppose.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
I want to ask "3 Quarters" means the spec will see at most 3 quarters anytime?

Anyway, coin across is a very popular category and it's amazing that people can come up with so many variations. Another one is the "Trapeze Trio" by Apollo Robbins which uses only 3 coins.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I love this thread! While I adore the look and feel of silver halves and dollars, I think the public is more accepting of quarters as they are more 'real' to them and less 'magical'.
While 'magical' stuff has its place in the hands of professional magicians, I think for us amateurs the closer we stay to at least the appearance of using everyday stuff, the better off we are.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Paul Wilson's "Across the Void" (a download from his website) fits the bill perfectly. Just three quarters are used for this coins-across routine, and the final sequence is sure to fool anyone.

Cheers,
Jerry
Kerwin
View Profile
New user
K
10 Posts

Profile of Kerwin
Airship,

Quarters are great, if that's all you have ... and you are performing
for one or two people only. Use quarters with a group of even five or
six people, and you'll have some of them craning their necks, to
try to see what's going on.

For real performers, a half is the smallest -- a silver dollar is better
(or 3 poker chips, like in Lee Asher's Three Stylin'). I agree, they
feel better, too.

So, must this thread be limited to quarters, or are we talking
three-coin tricks, in general?

Kip

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Kip Pascal is the author of

"Coin Snatching: The Reputation Builder"

Join the free, weekly ezine:

The Magic Mentor

http://www.CoinSnatching.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"In the republic of mediocrity, genius is dangerous."
--Robert Ingersoll
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Curtis Kam has a coins accross that uses only 3 coins.

Gregory Wilson's "QuickSilver" routine/plot on On The Spot can use 3 coins.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hi All,

Thanx for the thoughts and ideas so far!

My original thinking when posting this was, "If I'm out with some friends and one of them hands me 3 quarters, what could I do?" So I guess you don't have to use all 3, but it should still be regular old quarters. I've never had anyone hand me a silver half Smile

jamie
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
523 Posts

Profile of travisb
In a recent (within the last year, anyways) issue of Genii there's a three coin version of "Tenkai pennies" that you might consider. It's in the issue with Daryl on the cover, I think...

-Travis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How Many Tricks With 3 Quarters (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL