The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test with a Borrowed Book (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
You're probably talking of Val Andrews UNFAKED Book Test.

The little pamphlet contains three versions / presentations of it, one from Val Andrews himself, one from Bobby Bernard and one from Terri Rogers.

In my opinion the Val Andrews presentation is the weakest while the Terri Rogers one is the strongest.

However it is not really IMPROMPTU and CANNOT be done with any borrowed book.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
An "anytime-anywhere" ungaffed book test is an extremely valuable tool for the serious mentalist.

When I read Michael Sibbersen's method and routine, I begged him to let me include it in Mentalism, Incorporated: Volume Two.

In my opinion, if that's all you take away and perform from my book ... you will have gotten more than what you paid for the entire book. I wish I developed it!

Michael is a very nice guy and a very clever thinker.

Chuck Hickok
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I second the recommendaton for Michael Sibbernsen's book test. It's not a new concept, but his handling is the easiest and most deceptive I've found. (Oh, and I liked the rest of the book too, Chuck. Smile )
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2006-11-03 07:15, usendmee wrote:
Josh Zandman's recent refinement to the Hoy book test should be released soon in manuscript form.

Clever, logical, and simple method.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&42

Bosco

Yes this defintely worth a look! Very nice and can use any of the spectator books also.

Candini
Darkfrog
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Darkfrog
Quote:
On 2006-11-03 20:41, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
You're probably talking of Val Andrews UNFAKED Book Test.

The little pamphlet contains three versions / presentations of it, one from Val Andrews himself, one from Bobby Bernard and one from Terri Rogers.

In my opinion the Val Andrews presentation is the weakest while the Terri Rogers one is the strongest.

However it is not really IMPROMPTU and CANNOT be done with any borrowed book.
Thank you, it is the UnFaked booktest. I did say that you needed some time with the book and I did specify it had to be a certain length, but other than that it can be borrowed. Without the manuscript in front of me, it was difficult to remember the details. The OP mentioned a borrowed book, but did not specifically say it had to be impromptu. He mentioned an impromptu effect, but sometimes people say that meaning appears to be impromptu. I merely mentioned it based on the title of the OP - a borrowed book.
wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
I would think a simple riffle F***E would do nicely. From that point on it is sell sell sell!
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
My favorite with a borrowed book without writing anything down is a force described in Theodore Annemann's "Practial Mental Magic" on page 67 (4th paragraph). It uses dice.

Best,
G.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
With some dictionaries you can perform an instant peek a boo book test
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
As others have mentioned, the classic of the particular type of book test you seek is David Hoy's "Bold Book Test" commonly referred to as the "Hoy" book test. Most, although certainly not all, of the any book, any time, anywhere book tests have their origin in Hoy's work and Hoy's test will have just as much impact on laymen as any other book test you can name if well presented. If poorly presented any book test will simply be an unimpressive magic trick with a "guess a word" theme.

Having said that, let me suggest that if what you are looking for is simply "just a little piece of impromptu magic" you can use "either as an ice-breaker or in the midst of a set of impromptu magic" find a nice packet card trick or something. When properly presented a book test -- or any truly strong demonstration of mindreading (which is what a book test is meant to be) -- is something far too important to be turned into a piece of "mental magic" and relegated to a "little piece of impromptu magic" for use as an ice-breaker.

Those of us who take mentalism seriously take umbrage at the thought of magicians using a classic mental effect as little more than a "throw away bit" to amuse ones friends and co-workers.

I know that others will not only disagree, but will take offense at my comment. They're entitled to their opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Save the flames.

'nuff said.
Dick Christian
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
Hoy and Chan Canasta's book tests have been great for me. Performed in an informal presentation they can be powerful.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
326 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I'll put in a third vote for Canasta's book test. There's no "tell me when to stop." It's just "think of a page." Then a couple others decide on the line number and the column number they want. You tell them the word in that line, at that number, on the page that she hasn't even mentioned yet. Not a forced page either.
Biovf
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Biovf
For me the vote goes to Peter Turner's "Book of the Fallen" (from his book Bigger Fish).
The spectator can choose any book (the performer never touches the book and they can even come up with words themselves if you don't have books around), they choose any page and any word. The spectators can be even outside of the room when they make their choice and burn the book after and you'll always right with no chance of failing.
Better yet it uses no peeks, impressions or glimpses.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Richard Osterlind's "Poor Man's Book Test" in his new book 'Six-Shooter' is an excellent impromptu book test...my new favorite.

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is the book test act that I have been using for about the last 10 years or so. It has been given great reviews. It is totally 200% impromptu.

http://www.lybrary.com/bookworm-the-ulti......535.html

David Smile
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Bold Book Test by David Hoy

AAA Book Test by Anthony Owen

The only two I ever use!
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Just last week I was asked to do something in someone's house in front of company, I asked for two books roughly the same size, I was given 2 harry potter books, 800 pages each, to avoid the thought of any chance of collusion or influence etc...we flipped one book until I was told to stop, I showed the two pages that I was stopped at, gave spec a choice of either, he chose the page I would at first rather he hadn't. I had him read to himself the last few lines and feel what's happening, I sensed people talking, some sort of conflict escalating - the spec was freaking out - I had him read to himself the first line on the next page, told him to choose a word that was not a small word like and or the etc...did banachek brain games, now this guy really freaked out, I really hit on the letter he thought of and how he switched his mind etc...than I continued telling him the aggression I sensed, and then told him the entire sentence more or less that he looked at. His reaction was amongst the most dramatic and sense of disbelief I have ever received, as well as the other folks around.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
So my vote for Hoy and some showmanship
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2012-05-31 12:43, Andre Hagen wrote:
Richard Osterlind's "Poor Man's Book Test" in his new book 'Six-Shooter' is an excellent impromptu book test...my new favorite.

Andre

Sorry to quote myself, but closely related to the Richard Osterlind "Poor Man's Book Test" is "The Monserrat/Cassidy Booktest" in The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy.

I fooled a well-known magician in a Barnes & Noble Bookshop with this the same week I first read it in the book. He just grabbed a paperback and handed it to me and even though he was really burning me, I got the word. It really works and if you use Richard's after you use Bob's you add a layer of subtlety that provides what Bob calls "a logical disconnect" because though both appear the same to the spectator, the methods are different,and any weakness in one is cancelled in the other.

Lovely...just lovely!

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
mickym
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of mickym
There are plenty of options here:
http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=......x=14&y=6
Micky
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 15:43, RickyD wrote:
Searched for this and couldn't find exactly what I was after ...

I would like to learn a book test that uses a borrowed book (and no stooges, "instant" or otherwise.) I'd prefer not to have the person write down the word(s) he finds on the page, but anything else method-wise is probably acceptable.

Situation I'm thinking of -- in the library, in a bookstore, in a co-worker's office -- somewhere where "books" is a natural theme. Not a full-fledged stage performance piece, just a little piece of impromptu magic that I could do either as an ice-breaker or in the midst of a set of impromptu magic I could do when asked to perform on the spot.

Does any such routine exist? If so, what's the name of the trick/method, and where can I learn it (book, DVD, etc?)

Thanks in advance!

Yup. The Naked Book Test.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test with a Borrowed Book (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL