The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ever get preshow Jitters? I have them right now. So you're now the only one. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
In about a half an hour I'm heading out the door to perform at a private resort called The Beacon Club. This is a very elegant place and it's the 5th time they've booked me. So I must be doing a pretty good job.

I came on line just to wind down after I've spent the past few hours getting things ready. I call this the calm before the storm. I figured I'd come here and post exactly what's going through my mind then later I'll come back and share how it went. The reason I'm doing this is to show those of you who are new to magic that if you have these same feelings that it's very normal. This feeling alone can make people so nervous that they might even give up on it. So hopefully you'll find something I say that you can relate to and realize it's okay.

Right now my mind is wondering in circles around all the tricks that I plan to perform tonight. Every few minutes my hands go into my pockets and make sure what I need is where it's suppose to be. I have my normal deck in one pocket, a trick deck in another pocket in position for the deck switch I'll be doing. My ITR's (one for use and one for back up) are where they are suppose to be and ready to do their job.

I just had a thought. Maybe I should perform one of my newest tricks for the first time. I'm kind of nervous about that though. I haven't performed it enough for it to feel natural to me yet. On the other hand how can I get accustomed to it unless I do it? I'll bring it along and have it ready in case I feel like doing it later. So there's no pressure right now.

Now I just realized I need a rose for my floating rose routine. I'll have to leave a little early and hopefully a store on the way will have them in stock. If they don't I won't be able to do that trick. What can I do in it's place because that was the trick I planned to perform for the guest of honor. Hmm. Okay, I just thought of something else I can do. Yes, I have what I need s I'll bring that along. Now I don't have to worry. If I can't find a rose I'll do this trick.

Okay, I'm ready. I'm gonna head out the door and get this over with. They had a good time with me before. I hope I can live up to their expectations. I just remembered one of the guys loved one of the tricks I do. I gotta make sure I have that one with me in case they request it again. I got it. Okay, I'm good to go.

So this is my basic thought process right now. I'll come back tomorrow and share how I felt when I got there and when or if the nervousness goes away. It always has in the past.

Does this kind of thing seem familiar to any of you?

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I'm the stay at home dad for my 1 year old. You think it's bad now, wait till you have to make babysitting arrangements along with getting ready to go to a performance. Not only do I sweat the coming performance but then there is the "will the babysitter get here, will the babysitter get here on time, will the babysitter do a good job, how can my child possibly get along without me here with him.... OK, get a grip on yourself, that's just silly." etc.
Neil Marriott
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
15 Posts

Profile of Neil Marriott
Sounds totally familiar Smile Always have 10,000 things running through my mind before I do anything like that. But once I'm out the door and on my way I'm good to go. Tis perfectly natural.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
JackScratch:
I can relate to that as well. I'm divorced now but I use to have 5 step sons (I still see the boys on a regular bases).

My show last night went great. Just like always the moment I got in front of the people the feelings went away and I became the entertainer (that's what I call the inner shift that goes on when it's show time). The basic thought is, "Ready or not it's show time. What ever happens will happen."

A strange thing happened there though. I was misinformed and thought the party was for a girl. That's way I was going to do the floating rose. but the party was for a guy named Tom's birthday. It was a surprise party. It's a private club and the guy just thought he was coming to have dinner with his girlfriend. But when he arrived he discovered that I and all his friends where there.

Anyway, here's the strange thing that happened. Everyone in the party stood up one at a time and said their happy birthday (or some joke about him. Smile ). The plan was that I would be the last person then I'd start my show because he's a big fan of magic. When I was about ready to start the guy asked me to wait for a moment. Then he got down on his knee and proposed to his girlfriend. Right after she said yes and they hugged and kissed. The guy looked at me and basically said, "OK, let's see some magic."

I didn't feel right. The atmosphere wasn't right for me to start after that. So I said, "I don't think I can do anything to top that. So I think I'll wait a little while before I start." So I waited until they all said their congratulations and let the mood die down a little before I started performing. It all went well.

Right before I left Tom (the guest of honor) said that if he'd known I would have been there he would have asked if I could have done some kind of magic to make his proposal more memorable. I wanted to say, "well maybe next time" but though I better not.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I bet Tom was more nervous than anyone.

I try to get in a zone before a show. Not unlike a Samurai Warrior.
I shower and shave, put on my outfit, tuxedo, fancy shirt and tie, etc.
Get my props ready, try to remember where I put stuff. Which pocket has what, etc. I use this time to relax. The drive to the gig, I try to listen to my favorite tunes and try not to get lost. I like to get there early so I can warm up. Once I start the show or walk around, I have usually tuned out the outside world and its problems. Works for me most of the time. If I still feel some jitters, it goes away after the first trick.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I'm not a pro, so I don't have to do magic unless I want to, but I just have never ever gotten nervous. I'm an extrovert and a good ad-libber, so that helps. It also helps that I just don't really care what anyone else thinks of me. (Maybe that's part of the 'extrovert' thing.)
All that despite the fact that I'm absolutely sure that every single one of you reading this is a better magician than I am. Smile
There are all kinds of people in the world. And ain't that cool?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I too am an extrovert but that does not always stop me from getting "pre-show jitters" or "stage freight".

I know why my audience enjoys the show, but for me as the magician, it's the "Adrenaline Rush" that keeps me ejoying the shows.

I'm afraid if those feelings ever went away then it would probably be due to the fact that I don't care any more and it would become boring. But I do care, and so I welcome the doubts, the mental preperation, the "butterfly stomach", the "pre-show jitters", the "stage freight".

Yours was truely a touching post Jaxon.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ever get preshow Jitters? I have them right now. So you're now the only one. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL