The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who Made This Zig-Zag? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
Hi
I think I am going to sell my Zig-Zag to fund my new show. I have had it a long time and it is kind of hard to part with.
I got it around 1981 from Elmo Magic Supreme. I know at that time Gene was getting things from Chalet, I also bought a Balloon to Dove and a Doves to Rabbit that are both Chalet. But the Zig-Zag has no markings on it.
It has a very good paint job that had to have been done by a pro. And the blue is very close to the same color blue as the Doves to Rabbit. The whole thing folds flat and goes in the road case. I had the case made by Discount Distributors on Long Island so that did not come with it.
Take a look at the pictures and see if you can give me any ideas. Also, What do you think I can ask for something like this? Ebay or Magic Auction? How would you ship something like this?

Thanks for any help you can give. Here is the link.

http://www.stlouismagicco.com/PAGEs/PAGEzigzag.html
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
It looks like it could be Owen Magic Supreme. Except for the roller shades. Cant be sure.

S
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
The roller shades are original. In other words they were not something that Gene Elmo added later. He did stuff like that all the time to "improve" things.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't think it is Owen's. I worked with two of Harry Blacktone's and the hinges were piano hinges and painted to match the rest. His was one of the first couple made.

I had an early Kimery/Chalet that had two shelves on the one side, which eliminated one roller blind. I understand George only made one or two like that.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
857 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Guys,

I'm almost sure that is one made by the late Earl Canap from Baltimore, MD. It is defintely not a Chalet. I've owned both Earl Canap's (more than 25 years ago he built one for me) and I still own my Chalet.

Lou
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
Hey Lou
Earl Canap is not a name I have heard before. Got any backround?
What makes you so sure? Any idea what I could sell it for?
Thank for your input
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3410 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2006-04-19 23:33, hugmagic wrote:

I don't think it is Owen's. I worked with two of Harry Blacktone's and the hinges were piano hinges and painted to match the rest. His was one of the first couple made.

I concur Richard. That was my first thought when I saw those "Itty-Bitty" hinges!

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
Shouldn't you know a man better before you call his hinges "Itty-Bitty"

I saw a Blackstone Zig Zag once and it did have piano hinges on all the doors.
So Owen is out.

Where is the best place to sell something like this. Ebay or Magic Auction?
And what about shipping?
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
What do you want for it? The Café could be a good place to sell it also.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Because of where Gene Elmo lived, best bet was Glen David from Long Island or Bill Williams in NJ. Both buit for Tannens and others in that era. My guess is Bill Williams. I have seen other illusions he did for Tannens in the same color blue and the use of the "home" metal molding on the upright. Mostly Williams did a lot of the parlor size props.

Hope this helps

John
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Steve I am emailing you!!! HOPE WE CAN WORK OUT A DEAL!
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
Looks to me it folds flat so it could be Jim Sommers.
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
I guess it is going to be real hard to figure out who made it.
I am not really trying to sell it here. It's my understanding that is not reall proper. But I guess if someone is interested they can PM me.

Thank you all for the help.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3410 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2006-04-20 09:41, SteveB wrote:

Shouldn't you know a man better before you call his hinges "Itty-Bitty"

Your're right! I should have said, "Teenie Weenie"!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
They should all fold flat, Harbin's plans showed that. Too bad all the ripoffs occured. But, it still is a great illusion if PRESENTED correctly. I have NEVER seen anyone do it the way Harbin did. And he would get so mad about that. If you do it you MUST read the original routine in the Harbin book to understand what makes it so deceptive. You must have a woman from the audience up to push the section. Trust me.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
That's right Pete...it's a talking trick.

S
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
I think that was the essence of and one of the most important things about Harbin's work - things needed to pack down small - he had to work at a time when the big old style illusion acts where very nearly all finished up and he had to transport his show around London in a small car, and later was a cruise ship illusion pioneer. I was discussing Harbin with Alan Shaxon when Alan was here last year and he told me of a time Harbin's car broke down between shows and he (Alan) repaired it for him outside a luxury London hotel. He had his illusion act packed in it and was on his way his second gig of the night. No trucks, trailers, just a car! Respect...

Chris.
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
SteveB,

Try shipping it through forwardair.com. It looks small enough to go on an aircraft. Good luck and nice piece.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who Made This Zig-Zag? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL