The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Something to stick a Penny to my palm? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaime Pirnie
View Profile
New user
Tracy, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Jaime Pirnie
Does anyone know of what I could use to stick a Penny to my palm? I want to be able to stick a Penny to my palm and have it easily removable. But heres the catch: I won't want some glob of stuff on my hand or the Penny after I pull the Penny off. I'm looking for some kind of substance that will be almost invisible but yet will be strong enough to hold the Penny there if I stick it there.

Does anyone know of anything like this? I was told on the tape (one of Deal Dill's tapes) to use rubber cement but that didn't work good at all.

Any tips are appreciated!

-Jaime
-Jaime
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Jaime,
I had a little container of "Carmex" cold sore medicene sitting on my desk as I was reading this.

I tried it on my palm and palmed a Penny, then I tried it with a nickle.

It worked for about 30 seconds with the Penny. It wasn't too long before the nickle began peeling from my skin. It stuck pretty well.

It didn't leave much of a glob or anything on my hand. It wiped off pretty well. Try it out and see how you like it.
Brian Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
"Pro-Grip Non-Slip Grip Cream" from Columbia 300 in San Antonio, Texas 78213

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Rubber Cement should work fine...I have always put a small amount on my skin, and also on the coin...allow both to dry before trying to adhese them together.

John Eddington
Jaime Pirnie
View Profile
New user
Tracy, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Jaime Pirnie
Well, I don't want to put any on the Penny because you hand it out afterwards as Dean Dill mentions on his tape.
-Jaime
Lucas Walker
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
125 Posts

Profile of Lucas Walker
Well. I'll take the obvious way. First off I'll credit Greg Wilson with this idea because he mentioned it at one of his conferences for his impromptu "Something With Nothing" effect. Just use some jelly or jam and it should make the coin stick. He stuck it to the back of is hand which is a slightly different surface and isn't moved quite as much. This is a good idea for impromptu effects, but I'm not sure the routine you are using so it may not be appropriate. Good luck.
Jaime Pirnie
View Profile
New user
Tracy, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Jaime Pirnie
The routine that I want to learn is called Pennies From Heaven by Dean Dill. He uses a Penny stuck to each palm in it and hands the Pennies out after. Thats why the Pennies have to be somewhat clean. I was thinking maybe sticky tack or whatever its called but I've never seen the stuff before.
-Jaime
Lucas Walker
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
125 Posts

Profile of Lucas Walker
sticky tack isn't what you want. You'd be better off with scotch tape (either rolled up into a circle or double sided). Also, almost any substance you have on there could be rubbed off in a matter of seconds. All you'd need was a bit of patter to buy you some time.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
You MIGHT try a 1943 (steel) Penny that has been copper plated and a magnet taped to the underside of a ring.

If you are interested, just PM me and I'll send you that special Penny.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Anasazi
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
49 Posts

Profile of Anasazi
Two words -- "Poster Putty". I use it for Greg Wilson's "Trick with Nothing" (as already mentioned by Lucas Walker) and it's great. It sticks to just about anything for as long as you need it to, it doesn't dry out, there is no residue left after you peel it off the coin (a process which takes about 2 seconds), and a life time supply will cost about $1.50.

Do I sound biased about this??
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
If you dont like rubber cement, Magicians wax ought to work fine... or even a peice of double sided scotch tape. I have Deans Video with Pennies from Heaven on it, it is a great trick, I have not tried it yet, but Plan on working with it in the future. if you use rubber cement, use it like mentioned above.. apply it to both your hand and the Penny, the nice thing about rubber cement, is that it is invisible, and it rubbs off of an item quite easily.
Another great suggestion above would be to use a little misdirection or patter to be able to give the Penny a rub before handing it out..
Good luck, and please tell us for future reference what works best for you,
Thanks
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
use glue...but make sure it's a glue stick. Harkey uses it in a coin production he does and it works great.

that glue stick glue does not stick to the coin either.
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I don't know if this would work for the routine you are trying to incorperate the Penny into but, as you know you can't classic palm a Penny. I bet some can but your hands have to be really small. Thats why if I were to want to palm a Penny, I would definitly use the Mutobe palm. I have only seen it in Palms of Steel 2 and I know it is also in 5x5 Japan by Richard Kaufmen. A great palm that I had not ever heard of, and it is really deciving.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Jaime Pirnie
View Profile
New user
Tracy, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Jaime Pirnie
I just emailed Dean Dill himself and asked him what he suggests. The stuff he used in the video was called Spot O Glue by Avery and they don't make it anymore. He suggested going to an art store and get some transfer tape. He said its a tape that has a sticky substance that transfers to a surface once you apply it and peel it off. I'll give that a try..

Thanks for all the suggestions..

-Jaime
-Jaime
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
If you are concerned about sticky residue on the coin, simply drop it sticky side down on your close-up pad, press down on it and slide it toward the spectator. That should take care of it. I first encountered this idea as a means of removing daub from a playing card.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
stevebraley
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of stevebraley
Some type of palm would be my first choice.

I also like to use sticky dots. They can be found in places like Walmart. It does leave residue, but the residue sticks to itself really well and not the other object (coin). That way you can rub the coin slightly to roll the dot into a ball. It it falls off undetected. A whole dot would be too big for a Penny. The dots can be easily cut into smaller sections according to need. Just make sure you cover both sides of the dot with the non stick tape before cutting.

Another favorite method is a steel core object with a very small neodium attched to the body by one of those small round skin colored bandages.

Have fun experimenting.
Wesley
View Profile
New user
Sheffield U.K
56 Posts

Profile of Wesley
I have big hands and it is possible to palm a Penny. With practice most people can palm any coin. Failing that have you thought about a magnetic ring?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
There used to be a product called Wiztax for magicians.
It was a narrow, double-sided tape.
Doubt if it's still available.
But a small piece of double-sided carpet tape might do.
Put it on your palm when the palm is very dry; then blot the other side of the tape (that will hold the coin) a couple of times with Kleenex.
This will make that side a tiny bit less adhesive than the palm side.
And that way you won't have to worry about the tape sticking to the coins and coming off your palm.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1644 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Try Gorilla Snot. No, I'm not joking, that really is its name. Search the web for it.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Conus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Conus
As I type this, I have Pennies classic palmed in both hands. If your hands are large, you might want to try the Drobina palm. Give it a try.
Best,
Conus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Something to stick a Penny to my palm? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL