The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin dates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ActuariaLug
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ActuariaLug
When doing a routine in which the audience is unaware of all your coins, do you make sure your coins are alike in appearance down to the date?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I tend to use coins with exact dates.

I went to my local coin collector shop and picked up about ten 1964 Kennedy half dollars.

I am a detail person.

It may not matter to the spectator, but it matters to me. I have had some spectators check dates and question the authenticity.

So yeah, I do believe that if the detail of each coin is generally the same, it deters from questions being asked.

:)Brian Smile
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Depends on the routine, your handling, the venue, any included gaffs/gimmicks, and the audience.

Sometimes I don't want an audience to have the chance to notice that all the coins are the same date. However I would say that most times I try to make sure that they're in the 1900 range (if using Kennedy halves for example) and I try not to mix in a 200x minted coin as the only odd one out.

If you're using the walking liberty halves, it's much harder to see the date than on the kenedy heads, so it matters less.

All in all though, I'd have to repeat what I said at the top... it depends...
ActuariaLug
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ActuariaLug
Thank you for the informative responses. I'll be sure to make adjustments to my coin stash. Up until now, I haven't devoted any thought to the dates on my coins.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
While I was conscious earlier on my coin magic, people don't really care about the date on the coin. When I bought my Walking Liberty halves, the dealer was more concerned that I had the same date as my shell, so he sold me 5 silver halves all dated 1942 (pretty good condition for $2 a piece). People look at the Walking Liberty for the rarity of the coin (I refer to them as antiques), rather than the year it was minted.
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
If the different dates distract you, have them all the same. If you don't think it matters for the coin work you do, don't bother. Personally, I like to remove any distraction that I can, so my coins have the same dates where I think it's important; ex: coins across.
I don't want to worry that someone may notice that certain coins move or don't move because they're watching the dates.

DonB
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin dates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL