The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Buy in Coin Magic??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I was wondering what you all think the best buy in coin magic is? Personally, I think it's Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book. It's about $6 bucks or so and gives you more stuff than most people get in a decade of Christmas'. Smile You pretty much read it or refer to it from the moment you pick up all through the rest of your life off and on, or perhaps every day. It's got hundreds of pages in it, mounds of tricks, sleights, history, etc. Don't get me wrong, there are some other wonderful coin books/magazines out there, along with dvds, magical items, etc., but I just can't seem to see any of these things the overall total value of this one little book. Actually, I can't think of even a magician that has given as much to the craft, as what this book has...unless it might be Bobo himself, who actually gave us the book, that I think is the best buy in the business, yesterday and today. What are your thoughts as to the best buy in coin magic? Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Right now the best buy on coin magic may be a little book just published by Andrew Galloway.

In general, I'd recomend the book The Stars of Magic as the best buy in closeup magic.

Just my opinion. Everybody's got one.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
JT,
I assume you're referring to "Diverting Coin Magic." I've seen the ads for this on the IM site, but would love to hear your thoughts more in depth. Given that I already have Bobo, Coin Magic, Expert Coin Magic and even 21st Century Coin Mechanics I'm wondering if this one is worth the investment for me.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I posted a few comments about that book in the Genii forum.
Does it help to know that I got mine from Andrew Galloway directly?
Seems a useful book especially for the student who wants their work to look magical.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Thanks Jonathan. I just hopped over and read your comments. That helps a lot.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Best buy in a coin gaff would have to be the copper/silver coin. If you could afford to buy only one gaffed coin....
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 11:55, Mediocre the Great wrote:
Best buy in a coin gaff would have to be the copper/silver coin. If you could afford to buy only one gaffed coin....

Oo I'm not sure about that, there are so many wonders to be worked with a [, but they can get a bit pricy.
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
Best buy in coin magic: Coins on Edge by Kainoa Harbottle. You'll be practicing those routines for years to come.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There are some terrific coin sources but "Modern Coin Magic" gives you so much for so little $..
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Quote:
On 2006-04-21 20:16, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Rhight now the best buy on coin magic may be a little book just published by Andrew Galloway.

Yes I think this book is great I picked it up from IM the other day. It is a very small book with only a few simple sleights & effects. However do not let that put you off as it contains some very valuble information on how to actually make these feats look very magical. The best thing is that after each effect Andrew goes into the misdirection of each effect that you can learn from and apply the principles into every thing else that you do. All in all a great book that together with MCM by Bobo will take you to a knew level if you apply the methods to your magic.

Thanks
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Doug Brewer's The Unexpected Visitor provides great routines for the worker and the price can't be beat. the production quality of the book is great, the tricks are great and easy to understand for the layman, the props used will not cost you a fortune, etc.

Even has a swell chop cup routine at the end. A companion DVD also exists.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
After Bobo... I would suggest Slydini's material. It is so old it is new again.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

If it's around the Fred Kaps notes, Kaps on Koins is quite a trove of goodies.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You got that right.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I am going to second Doug Brewer's book, for the coin worker who already has some experience, for all the same reasons Frank stated above. MCM and all of David Roth's materials are top notch (just how good Roth is and how well thought out his routines are can be evidenced by watching the Coinvention dvd - while all on the tape are very good, his performances stand out. Doug Brewer even concedes that on the disc). And everything by Gary Kurtz is worth studying, especially his 'Thinking With Your Head' manuscript.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
All you need is this:

The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights 1-3 by Michael Rubinstein

David roth's Ultimate Coin Magic DVD Collection 1-4

SWITCH - Unfolding The $100 Bill Change by John Lovick - Book

Modern Coin Magic
Jerseymagician
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Jerseymagician
For the money, I prefer the copper/silver however, I like revolution from ellusionist, but only if someone teaches you. I think its a bit pricy when you have books like Bobo's for about 6$
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Hey folks if you want trix, sure go for the "stuff".

To those who wish to be wizards, I ask aquestion about coin magic:

What is the value to you
of what you do
with whose money
and what does it cost?
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Roger is spot on. Get Stars of Magic and of course Bobo's is great too.
Stars of Magic has some great routines. Francis Carlyle has a VERY good coin transposition that can stand on its own, yet also includes a watch steal while doing it. Plus the Spellbound routine still stands up to all of the new "improvements" as the best routine in my opinion. On top of the great coin routines there's amazing card material as well as a section on lapping by Slydini. I think it's about $25 new.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
What is IM?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Buy in Coin Magic??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL