The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bill Abbott's Octopus Deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Whaddarya some sorta muddy-the-waters sorta guy!?

Sounds cool though too... how long has the PSI deck been around?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Royce K.
View Profile
New user
London
89 Posts

Profile of Royce K.
I've had a PSI deck since 2001 and I think it was out at least a couple of years before that. I believe Bruce has been performing it since the early 1990s. I can fully recommend the PSI deck, although the heavy gaffing means it is more suitable for a small-group or stand-up performance than very close-up.

Bruce also has another, similar deck that is also worth investing in, but he doesn't advertise it and you have to know what it's called to ask him about it before he'll discuss it or sell you one. All very cloak and dagger! A quick-buck merchant he ain't!!

Thanks,

Royce K.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
422 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I've sent Bill some notes on an alternative pumping sequence.

As to the Principle of the Majorities, it can be found in Orville Meyer's book, MAGIC IN THE MODERN MANNER" (if my memory hasn't slipped). It is basically the idea that if you make a statement about the majority of the cards a spectator may have thought of, you'll be right most of the time. And if you're wrong, you'll have narrowed the possibles down to a few.
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Greetings,

As Bob stated above he has sent me a fantastic alternative to the pumping sequence given in the Octopus Deck instructions for the first phase of the effect.
Bob has generously let me add this sequence to the instructions of the deck, creating what I have to admit, is a stronger opening effect than the one I offered originally.

All new Octopus decks produced from now on will have Bob Farmer's pumping sequence created specifically for the Octopus Deck. If you have already purchased an Octopus Deck and would like the new pumping sequence please email me.

I only ask that you let me know what number of the limited numbered decks you possess.

All hail to Bob Farmer.

Neil,

I am familiar with the PSI deck.
In fact I picked one up in Chicago when you graciously hosted my lecture this past winter!
The method and presentation of both decks is quite different although the first phase in the PSI deck is similar in methodology to the second phase in the Octopus deck routine. Bruce Bernstein's PSI deck had no influence on the creation/construction of the Octopus deck so he was not credited in the lengthy History of Influences section of the Octopus deck instructions.
Many other writers, creators and performers DID contribute to the Octopus deck and everyone who had any direct or indirect influence is referenced.

FYI:
In phase two and three of the Octopus deck the 'random' cards that are selected in exceedingly impossible ways could also be predicted beforehand as in the PSI deck routine.

cheers

Bill Abbott
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1188 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Wow Bill don't know how you could make this trick even better than it is...but I am sure that Mr. Farmer's advice is pure GOLD. I bought number 31...send the new stuff my way!

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Simon Aronson's treatise on this type of effect is well worth reading. Check out the Aronson Approach. Much theory is discussed as well as a section on "off center" fishing.
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
Bill, there are three questions, not two and there have to be three because of the math involved in the structure you're using (better methods don't require three). In your script they are as follows:

1. "Rebeca, you're not thinking of a red card are you?" (page 5)

2. "Who's thinking of a face card?" (page 5)

3. "Would you say your card was a high card?" (6).

You can call them questions, statements or just musings, but you have to get three responses from the spectator one way or the other. )QUOTE)

So much for truth in advertising in magic.
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Howard,

In the instructions of the Octopus Deck page 16 in the first paragraph there is information on how it can be performed with two questions.

Bill Abbott
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

[quote]On 2006-05-28 12:32, Bill Abbott wrote:
Howard,

In the instructions of the Octopus Deck page 16 in the first paragraph there is information on how it can be performed with two questions.

Bill Abbott

Hi, Bill,

This is, again, what I have termed on this forum, "magicians' logic" many times before.

It does not matter what is in the instructions as we must buy the trick in order to get the instructions. We buy the trick based on what is stated in the advertising for the trick. I just reviewed your advertisement and it does, in fact, say that only two questions are asked.

This is incorrect and is false advertising on your part in my opinion. It is no different from saying that a deck can be "immediately handed out for inspection" in an advertisement when the deck cannot be handed out without extended handling which is called out in the instructions but not alluded to in the advertisement. It is a blatant attempt to make the trick look better than it really is while hiding behind the magician's claim that lies are necessary in advertising to protect the secret.

I have recently been researching (a nice word for buying) different tricks in order to find one which meets my criteria for a certain effect in order to put it into a stand up routine that I am putting together. So far, out of three that claimed to meet my criteria in the advertisement, none did. In fact, only one was even close.

One of these magicians contacted me recently to try to convince me that his trick would meet my criteria, as his advertisement claimed, after seeing my post in the sales section. As it turned out, it would not.

These tricks were all put out by known magicians, not Joe Nobodies, which makes it even worse.

If I'm going to pay 100.00 for a gaffed deck of cards, I want the advertisement to be 100% correct.

For those of you reading this who hate the idea that this forum allows items to be re-sold here, I have to say that I have been in contact with many of the sellers and the one reason I hear most often as to why the items are being re-sold is that they didn't measure up to the advertisements. Some people just don't like returning magic so they end up throwing it into a drawer and then re-selling it here.

I'm sorry to be rude, but I think it's time that people start holding magician sellers responsible for their false advertising practices.

I am by know means saying that all sellers are like this...I have come across some who are extremely honest but I have to say that they are in the minority.

The people who are re-selling on this forum have all been completely honest about the items that I purchased to the point that I did not buy several items after speaking with them.

Howard
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

PS Don't even get me started on the edited trick demo videos that I've seen lately.
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Howard,

Do you own the Octopus Deck?
I stand behind this effect, product and the advertising of this product 100%.
If you are unhappy with this product PM me and I will try to rectify the situation, either by refund or other means.

In your latest post are you referring to a product that I sell?

Bill Abbott
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
422 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
If you use the upgraded system I designed for Bill's trick, you will have a BETTER trick than Bill has advertised.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
What's even more frustrating than false advertising is people giving bad reviews on tricks they don't even own. How on earth a person can go about trying to tarnish someone's reputation without even owning the trick is absolutely beyond comprehension to me.

How about we hear from people that have it and have used it. Both Cody Fisher and Guillom, if I'm not mistaken, seem quite happy with it.

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Guillaume Vallée
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Guillaume Vallée
I don’t understand the debate about such a minor point concerning this routine.
The number of questions you ask is a matter of presentation. Using other methods you only have one question to ask. Anyway, I think people don’t even realize that you asked them for something.

Bob has nicely given some interesting suggestions on this point.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, time and creativity Bob!

One more time we cannot summarize Octopus to its first phase.

It is a MULTIPLE TOOL so why does this debate decrease it that way ?

I don’t own Bruce Bernstein's Psi Deck, but from what I understand, Octopus is better: it allows you to do the same and much more (+ it is perfect for close–up which seems not to be the case of the Psi Deck according to Royce K.’s post).

Here is my advice: read the advertisement. If you want to perform what you read, I don’t see how you could be disappointed when you'll buy it.

I hope my poor English is comprehensible..

All the best,

Guillaume Vallée
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
837 Posts

Profile of e-man
I was thinking about buying this but I feel that I have been touched by the "Hand Of Doom" Or hit by a Tsonami
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
E-man,

I think a little Dejavoodoo may bring you back.

Bill Abbott
rasper
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of rasper
In the part where the deck is wrapped in bands and tossed to a spectator,can you tell each person in turn which card they glimpsed,or is it the standard tossed deck where you name two cards and ask if you named their card??
regards,
Ian.

ps..is there a deck switch involved,as it mentions you receive two decks.Also if two decks are in play why is only one card guard supplied??
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Rasper

There is no miscalling of the cards as in the standard Tossed Out deck method.
The cards they see is the cards you name.

Bill Abbott
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2006-05-23 19:41, Bob Farmer wrote:
As to the Principle of the Majorities, it can be found in Orville Meyer's book, MAGIC IN THE MODERN MANNER" (if my memory hasn't slipped). It is basically the idea that if you make a statement about the majority of the cards a spectator may have thought of, you'll be right most of the time. And if you're wrong, you'll have narrowed the possibles down to a few.

Hi Bob
Can you tell us any more about this type of work?
That would be a hard book to find
Are there any similar works?
Cheers
TJ

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 7:10pm
----------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-05-25 03:51, truthteller wrote:
Simon Aronson's treatise on this type of effect is well worth reading. Check out the Aronson Approach. Much theory is discussed as well as a section on "off center" fishing.

Hi Truthteller
I've searched without success
Can you give a title for this?
Is it a book or the new DVDs
Cheers
TJ
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Teejay,

The Aronson Approach IS the name of Simon's book. Red book. GREAT material. It is the last trick in the book, I recall. The trick is good, but it is the thinking that goes into it that has the real value.

Brad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bill Abbott's Octopus Deck (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL