The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck problem (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
I personally make my own invisible and brainwave decks. They work fine - easy to spread and reveal the necessary cards without suspicion amongst my spectators.

One thing that may help with your concern about the appearance of the cards is to delay the final reveal a beat or two after spreading to where you want to be. Make it look like you purposely delayed the final card reveal for maximum effect - this would provide a reason for double thickness (if, in fact, someone really did observe this - not really an issue for me). The effect becomes a little bit more magical if you reveal the card slowly.

Paul Green has a fun ID routine that can be found on his Classic Force video and is also sold as a separate routine called "I Knew it all the Time."
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
Johnny4781
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Johnny4781
Hi guys,

Re: Invisible Decks: I'm not too sure how much this idea is used - as far as I know, I came up with it, in other words, I didn't pick it up anywhere, the idea just came to me - I'm sure I'm not the first. I'd have the spec. secretly write down the name of a card (3H for example) on a post-it note in a John Cornelius type of wallet & even wrap a rubber band around it (of course, getting my peek along the way) & then reveal the face-down card (in the ID) that was NEVER even mentioned! I'm fairly new at magic myself, but I really love this version being that it is the only version that I've seen where the name of the thought-of card is never even mentioned!

The ideas can be endless with the ID!!
Thanks,
Johnny
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 16:33, cbitsakt wrote:
When I first saw the invisible deck effect I was quite intrigued. Looked quite good. Quickly though I realized (just by the demo) that it probably utilizes the same principle as the mental photography deck.

Oops - I forgot to address this issue. ID is not same as mental photography exactly, the latter has additional alterations to the deck. You should be able to play with an ID at your local magic shop to become familiar with it. If you don't have a local shop, the decks are cheap (i.e. <$10 US) and you will find a use for it (whether it be as an out for a busted card call or a trick itself). I don't think that you'd find the ID a waste of money.
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
cbitsakt
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of cbitsakt
Thanks so much jocdoc. I guess I'll give it a try and buy some roughing spray too.

Cheers.
Constantine.
Bill Hammer
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Bill Hammer
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 16:33, cbitsakt wrote:
I mean, even if you have roughing spray the amount of friction between cards may differ. This means that you will either reveal more than one card (in any trick deck) or, when you get to the point where you want to reveal the card you're pressure will vary significantly....Basically it will be more than obvious that you're pushing harder.

Practice, practice, practice. Smile It took me a while to get the hang of the spreading process, but with repetition you will eventually learn how to do it flawlessly. Experiment with different degrees of downward pressure with your right thumb as you spread the cards, small bunches at a time. Also, I'm an older guy and my skin is a bit dryer than when I was younger, so wetting my left thumb and rubbing it against my middle finger just before spreading gives me added control. Not too professional, but it works.

Quote:
Secondly, and most importantly, someone's that watching the trick up, close and personal, has a good chance realizing that as you go through the deck, you're pushing two cards at a time.... And I know that you guys will suggest to watch my angles, but I'm telling you...I have friends that I can show them two cards as one (perfectly one behind the other), completely face on, and from five feet away, and they know I have two cards just from the thickness.... And that has left ME scratching my head (and frustrated, of course).

I think if you practice sufficiently as mentioned above, you will gain confidence in the spreading process and your natural demeanor will go a long way in avoiding this problem. You are the one causing the detection, not your spectators.

Good luck, Constantine.
cbitsakt
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of cbitsakt
Thanks so much bluelight!
Back to the drawing board for me then!! Smile
magicman50
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of magicman50
For roughing fluid go to a hobby store and by Dullcote it is the same thing but much cheaper
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Living and performing in a pretty cold place I nearly always have to wet my thumb and finger in order to get the grip to seperate the cards. It's only in a warm setting that my digits have the tacky adhesion needed.
When I lick my fingerI make a real show of it so as to build the effect, rather than doing it undercover.
Bill Hammer
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Bill Hammer
Quote:
On 2008-12-22 15:15, jugglestruck wrote:
When I lick my fingerI make a real show of it so as to build the effect, rather than doing it undercover.

Thanks for the head-slapper tip [doh]. Smile Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
My ID deck works very well. My Brainwave deck doesn't work very well (cards are revealed). My Mental Photography deck worked well at first but now cards are being revealed.

Do magic shops sell roughing fluid?
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Yes, and nowadays there is the roughing stick. It is easier to use and has gotten good reviews.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2008, Bill Hammer wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-22 15:15, jugglestruck wrote:

Thanks for the head-slapper tip [doh]. Smile Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest.

Others disagree and think it's gross, unsanitary, and unprofessional.
You might alienate your audience in the process. See this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
Mick-L-Hinman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Mick-L-Hinman
It could either be a pressure issue or not enough roughing fluid on the cards.
Aslan Magic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Aslan Magic
I have a love hate relationship with the ID. I always struggle with them especially with new packs. They stick together like remain voters at a Brexit rally. They just will not separate for me. I love the principle and the routines that go wit them but I am afraid that for some reason I really struggle handling them. Smile
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Https://www.mimesis-magic.com/index.html

This guy makes the best invisible decks...PERIOD!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Anyone know if Sean at Mimesis is still doing business?
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
His site has been down for months... Very nice guy, he seems to have disappeared.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
QUOTE: Anyone know if Sean at Mimesis is still doing business?

Strange I just purchased from him a few months ago. Seems like his web site is also not working.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible deck problem (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL