The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Jim Sisti's *Magic on the Menu - the Lecture!* (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
There was a legendary magic magazine, which was published especially for the close-up magician. The Magic Menu was its name, and when it vanished, everyone mourned.

But, hark! We have something which appears to be a lost issue of the Magic Menu! "Tips & Tricks for the Professional & Aspiring Restaurant Magician" it's subtitled, and it's available only if you get Jim Sisti to come to your town to lecture.

Well if you have a magic club, an IBM Ring, or an SAM Assembly -- do it! Get Jim to your area, and do buy this book.

Because Jim leads the first half of this book with twelve essays that cover how to get an audition, how to get the job (two separate things), advice on tips (I only slightly disagree with him, but he does have years more experience at this than I), material, problem customers, what types of magic should meet your needs, making sure you keep the job and prosper, and so many more things. This is good advice -- no, this is great advice. And your career will be greater if you heed it.

That's not all. He follows these essays with seven effects which are ideal for walkaround, and geared especially for restaurant settings. Seven all-star creators of these effects: Jim himself, Tom Ladshaw, David Acer, Al the Only, Bert Allerton, Chris Hurlbert, and Tom Mullica. You'd expect great magic from these fellows; you won't be disappointed. The effects aren't complicated, they reset easily, and you'll have no problem with people examining them.

"Transmutation" is changing the volunteered (!) bill from a higher denomination to a lower. And then having the original appear in a coin purse which has been on the table away from your hands all the time.

"Signature Transpo" has your signature and your volunteer's switch from one business card to another - and leaves them with your business card (always a good idea).

"Forget Me Not" is when you sign your Voodoo Business Card -- and your signature flies to a playing card which your volunteer has been holding.

"The Happy Birthday Card Trick" tells us that it "is not a powerful illusion; it is a cutesy trick." When everyone sings "Happy Birthday," you deal the cards to the beat of the song. You land on their chosen card. You flip over the cards you've dealt and there, with a single letter on the back of each card, is spelled out "Happy Birthday!"

"The Two-Card Trick" has two cards mischiveously switching places back and forth between your pocket and the volunteer. But that's OK, because you're going to show them how it works.

"The Flushing Joker," like "Happy Birthday," will require a bit of room. You manage to deal yourself a Royal Flush in spades, but can't find the volunteer's card. No problem. A snap of the fingers and you flip the cards over -- to reveal their card's name spelled out on the backs of the cards.

"Torn" is a nice, simple, you-can-do-it-at-the-next-table torn and restored card effect.

Any one of these would be a nice complement to the essays. As it is, you might just have an entire night's act with this. Certainly, you have the makings of a career by following the advice in the essays.

The only thing I'd improve about this book, is I'd like it to come with Jim, demonstrating the effects therein. I've got to move somewhere that he lectures!

*jeep!
--Gran'pa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Is some or most of this material a reprint of Jim's column, (also titled "Magic on the Menu), in MAGIC Magazine?

-Brian
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Similar, but different. I believe some of the routines were in the column. Good to have it all in one place. I'd love to see a collection of his columns.

*jeep!
--Gran'pa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Jim Sisti's *Magic on the Menu - the Lecture!* (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL