The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalist or Children's Entertainer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will be focusing on high schools to start my full mentalism shows. I don't know if it is going to be this or next year.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
You can put a couple of mentalist suitable for kids in your children show for remember what you are able to do.

Know the animal a kid is thinking, a bank night routine with candy...
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
It's just plain silly to think that anybody in the audience will give a tinker's *** what you do at your next show. Kreskin does straight magic during his mental show .... no one talks about it except other magicians. Dunninger used to work with a cigar box full of cards, pulled a different deck out when he changed routines, and even put his glasses on when he had to catch a tell. The sad truth is that in a large venue, most of your audience won't even remember you from one day to the next.
jake g
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am going to get a different web site for mentalism only. When I get a call from a corporartion, I will not mention any magic. And I will charge them more more mentalism as you mentioned. I am already a pro in the magic. I am picking up more on mentalism.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3073 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
If you are a marquis mentalist, the likes of Brown, Osterlind, et al...certainly you would lose credibility, but how many are legitimately in this league?

There is certainly some truth to first impressions, and to that end, if you were to do two consecutive performances in the same venue (a day apart), it would certainly be better to do the Mentalism, first.

There are some kid's Mentalism-type routines, like Deja Zoo, but, I stopped doing them a long time ago for a couple of reasons. First, and foremost, they just don't respond as well as they do to something simple but brilliant like Vanishing Bandana. But also because to kids it comes across more as fooling them then entertaining them, and this is something I avoid, particularly with kids in a hospital.

But the point I wanted to make is that the two approaches to performance actually have a tremendous amount in common. While Mentalism is my first love and focus, I also do magic shows at the local Children's hospital (in fact, I was just there yesterday).

The children's magic shows, are a tremendous help in building your storytelling skills - which are essential to any convincing performance. Isn't all performance really about knowing the technical aspects so well that you can do them in your sleep, so that you can focus on the performance? Yet I've seen both magician and mentalist who seem to have a wall around them, not breaking through to the audience, because they are engaged in the act of doing tricks - not engaged in the art of performance.

Do this with adults, and it will come off as a marginal show, do it with kids, and you'll know immediately that you've lost them.

My style is also intentionally fun when I'm doing Mentalism. For my style and personality, I find the more serious/somber attitude of Mentalism isn't at all my thing, so my overall personality doesn't change all that much from kid's shows to Mentalism for adults.

But then again, I could be wrong.... 6BXbqyIq
psi-co
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa
134 Posts

Profile of psi-co
The way I see it now is that you have to pay the bills. You're an entertainer first and foremost. You can be as serious as you want with mentalism, yet have an interest and dabble in performance magic. That doesn't necessarily make your mentalism any weaker. It's all about context. If you are consistent as a man (or woman) of mystery you can then read one person's mind one moment and pull a coin from a kid's ear the next.

The only bit I would concern myself with if I were you is the ultimate message you convey to your audience (of any age). If you're up on stage to have fun with the kids that's great... they'll love you. If you're there to show how wonderful and clever a person you are by finding their card... well, that's not being consistent with the persona of a mind reader is it? Presuming of course that your mind reader's persona cares more about the audience than his own ego!

Someone mentioned Richard Osterlind. Mmmm, as I recall Richard performed some magic on his Mind Mysteries DVDs. There was nothing wrong with this at all. His premise was to share something weird and wonderful with the audience. Consistency.

I say go for it if it suits you. Decide for yourself what your persona is foremost: mentalist doing a little magic on the side; or magician doing a little mind reading on the side? Which one can you be more convincingly? Play that one up.

I realise that the original is an old post, and maybe perceptions have changed, but Scott, don't you think you can't imagine Berglas or Brown doing kids shows because of their current reputations? You know who they are and what they are capable of, and you also expect them to act within that particular context. I don't think the same could be said for the rest of us that don't enjoy such celebrity status.

About two years ago I did a strictly mentalism show for kids, aged 10 - 12. I didn't read their minds so much as to have then read each other's. They bent the spoons and keys, not me. They had fun and were entertained. Even mentalism methods can be performed for kids using the right approach. Again, set the context.

Just my 2 cents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalist or Children's Entertainer? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL