The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalist or Children's Entertainer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Good Morning!

So I was booked for a fairly large festival performance on the evening of May 26th. This is actually the debut of my new show -- so generally I am pretty excited about it.

Now the show I am performing is 100% mentalism -- and will feature a fairly serious prediction routine for the closer.

I am hoping to drum up a fair amount of publicity from this.

Now the following day I am set to perform at the children's section of the festival.

I am a versatile performer -- my only concern is -- will this confuse the audience? I mean, if they see me perform at te children's event the following afternoon -- won't that throw them for a loop? Or am I overthingking this....

My concern is on saturday I will be performing my children's magic ( not mentalism) show....

hmmm....
xxx
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I think your audience will be quite different. People that attended the festival on the Friday may not be there on the Saturday. People that have children will probably not have seen your mentalism show but will opt to see the children's show the next day. People that like mentilism probably don't care for children's shows. If the genre of the acts is clear then the audiences should know what they're buying into.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
That s my hope -- pre show jitters I guess...

;-)
xxx
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
I would appreciate help with the second part of the effect "Around the World Coloring Book. To determine what the spectator is looking at (a country,city,or landmark)they must tell me the third letter in the word, such as I in China. How
can I get them to do this without thinking that they are actually giving me the answer? If you are not familiar with the effect it is a well gimicked coloring book. You know whether it is a C,C or L (see above) by the way they are holding the book, you just don't know what country or etc. Thank you in advance.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I am fammiliar with the effect ( I think ) PM me and I can give you some more insight. We don't discuss method on this forum -- you have to wait get 50 posts, and then hit INNER THOUGHS
xxx
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have a problem with this. I could never imagine derren brown or berglas performing kids magic. WHY? The illusion is a part of the full package. You lose power everytime you do a sponge ball routine...
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
And how ironic that sponge bunnies trace back to Robert Nelson.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Ask a non magician who Robert Nelson is and they will say: who? Talk to the brits about Brown, and they all know him. Dunninger and Berglas will be remembered by many. In fact Dunninger has several non-magic books that describe his super feats.

Could you imagine if Uri Geller did the vanishing silk for a kid and then bent a spoon?
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I do balloons durring my act.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
This is a strange situation for me -- I no longer do children's shows, but this festival has been good to me -- and this will pay some of the bills, so I was obliged to take it.

Scott -- I have the same problems and I am the performer in question.
xxx
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Be joyous you can offer both and good luck with your two shows! The world changes so much overnight.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Thank you ISSO...
xxx
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I agree with isso, icy (isso icy..?), as well as kinesis. Doing a great mentalism show is fabulous, and entertaining children is a wonderful, noble job. Many entertainers do both. Mark Lewis says he LOVES to do children's shows, and would almost do it for free. Maybe when you become world famous, you might rethink the wisdom of it, but I say there's nothing wrong with the spongeballs and lighting up kids' faces, if you are GOOD at it, and enjoy it. And you probably are. Why be pigeonholed into being the serious psychic all the time? Be the Mystery Entertainer, with the skills to transport adults and children alike into realms of wonder. That's the real gold, if you ask me...

Besides, kinesis is right, the audiences will be different anyway.

Seth
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Dear All.
Icy, let me show you my case.

I’m a mentalist doing Kids shows since past three years, it doesn't mean that I not doing mental magic any more but business is moving me more to the little darlings.

I have been spending a lot of time and money learning and building mentalist routines and Hypnotism shows, but now I do more Kids stuff (Magic, Juggling, Balloon Twisting & Ventriloquist), both are complete different and requires preparation. My advice is that your need to learn about Kids stuff before any perform. Really it’s no easy as show some tricks.

So, from Mentalist to Kids Entertainment? What a Change! How it happened? Are You Crazy? Well, I do not have an answer but it helps me to be a better performer.
I like both but with Kids I was more successful.

Now I have more opportunities to be hire than five year ago because can do different things at different locations.
I guest help you my comment.
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
I think there's no problem. If you see John Travolta in two different movies playing two different roles, no one sees there any problem. If the magician or mentalist does two different shows with different characters, suddenly there is a problem. In my opinion problem is only in a magicians head. Lay people don't see it that way. You create your illusion while you are working. It doesn't matter what you have done before or what you're going to do next day.

Pete

PS. Sorry about my poor english. I speak it lot better than I write it.
ksalaz1
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of ksalaz1
Lock yourself into one "persona" if that works for you. If not, perform in any fashion that you are great at. Why must a performer of Magic and Mentalism be confined to only one "persona". I do a mind reading effect for the children's show in which the child himself performs the mentalism.

Ken
"Master of the Obvious"
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
If you can entertain a room full of 6 - 11 year olds for an extended period I reckon you can entertain anyone....

Corona
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I don't see a problem...you could do sponge bunnies for a kid, then turn right around and do a palm reading for the kid's mom. Both will be very happy. I'm quite serious.

This is only a problem of the imagination. People are going to think what they want to think about mentalism no matter what you do or don't do beforehand.
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 13:39, Scott Xavier wrote:
I have a problem with this. I could never imagine derren brown or berglas performing kids magic. WHY? The illusion is a part of the full package. You lose power everytime you do a sponge ball routine...

Agreed.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2006-04-27 00:43, mota wrote:
I don't see a problem...you could do sponge bunnies for a kid, then turn right around and do a palm reading for the kid's mom. Both will be very happy. I'm quite serious.

This is only a problem of the imagination. People are going to think what they want to think about mentalism no matter what you do or don't do beforehand.

Wrong!

How you portray yourself, how you sell your persona, how you capture and lead THEIR imagination... all of those things play the MOST IMPORTANT PART in Mentalism as convincing factors.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalist or Children's Entertainer? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL