The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Sometimes it's the little shows that play big! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
A lady called to book me for a birthday party in Ola, Idaho. I had never heard of Ola, Idaho. The more questions I asked the more intrigued I became with doing the gig. Ola is a small ranching community that still has a one-room schoolhouse. That's right, one room for K-6 and a single teacher for 18 kids. One-room schools are quickly dying off here in America. I saw this as a great opportunity to experience a little Americana history before it's gone.

My daughter wants to be a schoolteacher. She is doing all the right things to move in that direction including working as a teacher intern. She also is infatuated with what she calls "the good ole' days" (referring to what she has seen watching Little House on the Prairie). She loves the one room schoolhouse where Laura Engels teaches. Needless to say, when I asked her if she wanted to go with me to this show, her eyes got as big a saucers as she exclaimed "Like ya, are you kidding?"

The lady who hired me was doing it for her grand daughter's birthday. But she wanted me to do it as a school assembly type event. This in itself was special for the kids. Their small school had such a small budget that they had no field trips planned for the entire school year. Their biggest activity this year was a May Pole celebration (does anyone remember the May Pole). These kids live in such a rural area that they don't get cable TV or many of the amenities most of us take for granted. What I would consider a small magic show, these kids saw it as the major event of the year.

I didn't charge enough for the show, or the travel, and it took up my whole day. From a pure business standpoint it made no sense to accept this booking. But the rewards of the day, for everyone involved, were priceless. The real magic of that day was well beyond my tricks.

Maybe you would have to be there to get the whole experience. Maybe some day you'll have a chance to be there yourself. Keep an eye out for the small shows that pay big dividends.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It is rare, but sometimes we get paid in currency other than money. Good work.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ceme20
When I was 14 or 15 and just getting started in magic I did free shows in nursing homes. It was great entertainment for everyone, and a confidence builder for me. Plus I figured, Hey thier old and can't see so good, if I mess up they won't catch it! Smile After every show I walked away really feeling like I had allowed them to forget about where they were, and be kids again, if even for a few minutes. I have never recieved a check for a show that made me feel as good as that.

Michael
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Sometimes it's the little shows that play big! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL