The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Is Helium Safe to Inhale? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
indysmagic
View Profile
New user
cherokee, tx
63 Posts

Profile of indysmagic
Ok, I didn't know where to post this. I know this is no sideshow stunt. This may be a silly question but here goes:

As a kid, inhaling helium made your voice sound like a chipmonk. Is this safe? What is going on? Now that I have kids, I don't want to let them do something stupid just because I got by with it.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Nah, but go for it anyway. If there is an alergy there is a problem.
Steve V
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
Helium is one of the inert gases so shouldn't have much in the way of reactions.

Commercial divers often breath an oxygen, helium mix for this reason and for extended periods of time when working at depths where the pressure makes the nitrogen in a "normal air" mix toxic.

However, the "balloon" products are not necessarily pure. Contaminants could and probably would include oils, other gases and who knows what else? These might not be so good.

Otherwise, it's also not oxygen so one could suffocate if you only breathed it without any Ox.

But, I still do it.

"We represent the lollipop, guild the lollipop guild, the lollipop guild.... and we welcome you to munchkin land."

:dancing:
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
So, let me get this straight: You have come to a forum where people eat fire, walk on broken glass and stick nails in their noses to ask, "....is it safe?"
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
indysmagic
View Profile
New user
cherokee, tx
63 Posts

Profile of indysmagic
Great One Jeremyweiss! You've got a point.
Thanks for the info guys.
As a former closet blockhead, I guess I shouldn't worry.
Shawn
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Unfortunately the point is on my head.
Don't inhale helium for more than two consecutive minutes. Breathe some room air. Best of luck sounding silly.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
What ever you do NEVER put peanut butter on the nozzle before inhaling.
Steve V
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Also never juggle flaming cats while using helium... actually - never juggle flaming cats. Helium is fine Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Joking aside guys...Helium is NOT safe...and can be FATAL. Air passages have been known to SHUT tight and breathing impared or worse. recommending to 'Go ahead, do it' might not be the best advise...

The FACTS!

Product is a non-toxic simple asphyxiant. Effects of oxygen deficiency resulting from simple asphyxiants mayinclude: rapid breathing, diminished mental alertness, impaired muscular coordination, faulty judgement,depression of all sensations, emotional instability, and fatigue. As asphyxiation progresses, nausea, vomiting,prostration, and loss of consciousness may result, eventually leading to convulsions, coma, and death.

This is from an Australian Gas site:

Have you ever been to a party and inhaled helium in an attempt to sound like Donald Duck? If so, you have probably put your life at risk!

Evidence has proven that the inhalation of helium can be fatal, yet thousands of party goers continue to inhale helium thinking it to be incredibly funny rather than life threatening. The inhalation of helium cuts off a person's supply of oxygen and can cause dizziness, unconsciousness and ultimately death!

Doctors around Australia are concerned about the health risk associated with people inhaling helium. This is a particular problem when people are inebriated and their system is already contending with an outside influence.

According to Consultant Occupational Health Physician, Dr Greg McGroder, "Australians have not yet realised the extreme danger associated with helium inhalation. If the concentration of oxygen is decreased below 18% within the human body, symptoms and signs of Asphyxia can occur. Helium gas can totally displace the available oxygen and if this is maintained for even a few seconds, asphyxia and death can and will occur".

In 1898, fifteen year old Michelle Moreno from Texas died from helium inhalation at a friend's party. Her death caused major headlines regarding the dangers of helium inhalation. In Australia, Kristi Brash from Victoria had a near death experience when she appeared to freeze and turn blue after inhaling the entire contents of a balloon. Kristi fell motionless to the floor but luckily regained consciousness after a few minutes. Kristi was rushed to hospital and after examination she appeared to be find although any long term affects of the inhalation are yet to be determined.

Comedy television and radio programmes often use helium as a device to get laughs. This portrays helium inhalation as a fun, safe practice when, in effect, it is deadly. Public figures are influential in the minds of the public and they need to realise that they could either die from helium use or be indirectly responsible for the death of another.

BOC Gases is deeply concerned about the misuse of Balloon Gas and is going to great efforts to inform the public that helium inhalation can be fatal. Unfortunately with people continuing to ignore the dangers of this potentially lethal practice, it is a difficult task to educate the public that HELIUM INHALATION IS NO LAUGHING MATTER!

From another American site:

The gas itself if used improperly can also take human life. We’ve all seen someone or have ingested helium into our lungs which produces that funny squeaky voice.
This is caused by minute amounts of oxygen being depleted from you’re your lungs which then changes the sound of our voice.

Inhalation is NEVER advisable even in small doses

The danger is inhaling too much helium; enough gas inhaled into the body will deplete the oxygen and the person will die of suffocation.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
At last a very sensible post from Doug.
Now one from me,,,as you know this gas makes things rise!!!!
Haveing tried out the above ideas earlier today (Around 6am) I have just been rescued from the top of a very high tree by the London Fire Brigade.

Ken.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thinking Helium is akin to a litle Blue Pill can lead to hair loss...oops...

and why the hell aren't you busy writing me an eMail???
Higley's Doug's Museum
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yeah, people use helium to kill themselves when they don't want to make a mess.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Doug's right.
Helium can kill. The high-pitched , squeaking voice can kill dogs. As I said before: don't put your life in your hands because of info you saw on some forum.
The Shock Doc
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
moosemanty
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of moosemanty
I love helium. at my brothers wedding I inhaled about 150 balloons worth of helium and I never got sick at all. I guess it must vary person to person.

although the kid next to me in the wedding did pass out and hit the hard wood floor right as my brother was getting all teary eyed it was kind of funny "blah blah blah(snivle snivle) blah (big snivle) bla...BOOM "he hit the floor. paramedic said it was just heat because it was summer and he was wearing a tuxedo.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
That's nice Moose...I'm sure you know best...must have been the heat unless he was also inhaling a labled Asphyxiant and the EMT didn't know that.

No biggie...the big ass Comet is due soon anyway.
Higley's Doug's Museum
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I just heard about the big ass comet today. I had no idea. I also heard you can find pictures of naked people on the internet. Who knew?

I played with helium balloons before but I did not inhale.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 23:13, jeremysweiss wrote:
So, let me get this straight: You have come to a forum where people eat fire, walk on broken glass and stick nails in their noses to ask, "....is it safe?"

"Yes it's safe. It's as safe as can be."

"Is it safe?"
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 07:13, Marvello wrote:
Also never juggle flaming cats while using helium... actually - never juggle flaming cats. Helium is fine Smile

"Honey? Wash the gasoline off the cats. Marvello just told me I shouldn't do it!"

"No it isn't safe, it's very dangerous."
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If the cats are inflated with helium, aren't they easier to juggle?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Cats full of helium... reminds me of an eddie izzard sketch about a taxidurmist filling animals with weird stuff. cats full of helium was one of them.

sorry, in a world of my own this morning.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I only ever tried helium once, and I didn't die. So it MUST be safe...

Never ever use gasolene for burning cat juggling, I tried it once, it gave me an awful rash. Better to soak them in lighter fluid overnight.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Is Helium Safe to Inhale? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL