The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball for Close Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
After buying Buckley's Principles and Deceptions for the coin work, I have now found myself interested in the billiard ball work, and have been using golf balls. What I was wondering was, are they effective, angle-efficient for close up work?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22456 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sure! Practice and watch your angles! Good luck, let us know how you've worked it out.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Argh, stage work's more fun anyway. Work on the billiard balls, but I have to say that for real close-up work your angles are harsh, even with Buckley's take on it, palming 2 balls..., and the body swinging from one side to the other and the vanishing hand (steal) all don't go down particularly well in close-up. But they are great fun, and you'll find stage opportunities as you repertoire grows.
Paul
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
Yes billard balls are good for close up, you just need to watch the seam from the sh*** and ball. Beside that they are very good and I regularly preform them close up.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Didn't Oscar Munoz win a Gold Medal using with a close-up ball act?
POOF!
Pinto2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Pinto2
Well, your options sure are limited. I would think that using a sh*** would be difficult, as close-up magic is usually pretty uncontrolled when it comes to people walking around you (unless you mean like close up on a stage). Maybe you could do some vanishes to colour-changes and the angles would be OK if you kept the ball in front of your body. Or a lot of ball/silk stuff as the silk would cover angles perfectly. Either way I would keep it short and sweet because any unnatural hand positions due to palming will be quickly picked up on.

Daniel
Rik Chew
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Rik Chew
I shall keep working. At the moment I'm working on palming them, they're a bit different from coins, and I'm trying to adapt some of my coin work for them. What other references are there for this magic, preferably a book with quite a lot in, hopefully not just one chapter?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think pure manipulation effects with billiard balls, cards or cigarettes were ever designed with the close-up worker in mind. These effects are often very angle sensitive and can't play well in a typical close up environment. Although there are exceptions, I find these to be rare.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Look up "The Feints & Temps of Harry Riser" for some pretty good close-up manipulation with Balls.

Dave
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Do you have Tarbell and Mark Wilson's Complete Course?

Christian
Tarbell!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5734 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I saw Harry Riser perform with some P&L billiards, close-up, almost 20 years ago. The routine looked great!
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I vaguely remember a lecture video of the German magician "Peki" doing a close up multiplying billiard ball routine, with little red balls. Personally, I wasn't thrilled by the routine. As to whether or not it could be effective for a lay audience, I just don't know.

Levent
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Sleightly:

I use Multiplying Sponge Balls for strolling work, and hold them horizontally, at just about waist level. Works for other angle-sensitive bits, too. Only children and obnoxious adults will try to look, and you're certainly able to deal with them, eh? Smile

Leland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball for Close Up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL