The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Hi,
anyone out there know where to find handkerchiefs made with a mix of rayon? You know, the silks ideal for upsetting knots, or ones good for the Slydini scarves effect? Thanks, ROY
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tony Slydini taught his students to do that with real silks. The purpose of the nylon ones was to look like men's pocket handkerchiefs. (Cotton does not work well.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Thank you Mr. Sanders. I am still looking for some hankies that are not made of 100% silk so that I don't ruin the silks so fast when upsetting the knots. I have bought some before, think it was PA silks; they still open? Does anyone where where to get some of these?
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
P&A Silks are still around, try http://www.pasilks.com/

Dave
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Roy,

The trick to not ruining the silk is to pull by the reinforced hems (both hands) and not by the flat part of the cloth. (It's really a puncture from the finger that makes the run. Real silk is 2/3 as strong as steel! Rayon is used more as a filler to save money. It's the wrong direction to go for strength.)

Rip stop nylon is sometimes used so just anyone can hem them and is frequently on the $1/yard table. Rayon blends in the USA were last sold for magicians by D. Robbins in the 80s, I believe.

P&A sells real silk. (And does beautiful art work!) Pulling with the flat surfaces will ruin them as quickly as any other silk.

To find rayon you may have to check the flea markets.

My real suggestion is working on your technique. Once you have it mastered, it's like riding a bicycle. It's yours forever. The fabric is not at all what makes the trick work.

Good Luck!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Riding a bicycle? Now how is it you do that? I think I have forgotten!

:)

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

They just don't use those much in coal mines. Too much traffic!

You know what happens when a square knot's not square?

Roy is learning one of the best routines in close-up magic. I want to watch him when he masters that bicycle. Slydini's knots are killers. Believe it or knot.

Take care.

Bob

Will I see you at the International Battle of Magicians in Canton next week?
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-04-26 18:26, Roy wrote:
Hi,
anyone out there know where to find handkerchiefs made with a mix of rayon? You know, the silks ideal for upsetting knots, or ones good for the Slydini scarves effect? Thanks, ROY

You can purchase a set of Slydini white scarves from http://www.stoners.com by emailing them. They only have 1 set left for $30.00. Or you can get them from http://www.llpub.com separately or with the dvd or with the new re-published Slydini book.

Have FUN!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL