The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jason Alexander, Mentalist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
So I went to The Magic Castle on Tuesday, and got there an hour before the shows started, expecting it to be a fairly quiet night. Turns out there were people milling about in front, people milling about in the lobby, people milling about in the main bar...all an hour before showtime. Why? It turns out Jason "George from Seinfeld" Alexander is working in the Parlor this week. After catching both close-up acts, we went to the Parlor to see Whit Haydn (Late Parlor), but it turns out that because so many people were there to see Jason Alexander, Whit graciously ceded him a couple of the late acts (and in fact Whit performed in the Hat & Hare that night, and not in the Parlor at all). So we caught Jason's act, having no idea what to expect. I didn't know he performed magic at all. Turns out he has a mentalism set, and it was really quite good. Very polished, big on audience relationship, thematically consistent...I was impressed. It's his debut week at the Castle, but obviously, it's something he'd been doing for a while. Anyone else catch him this week, or know that he did mentalism?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Is his stage name Art Vandelay? Smile
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Art Vandelay is an importer.

He performed as Buck Naked.

0pus
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Do you ever which famous people troll out little Café and laugh at our experiments, bickering, and better than thou attitude?
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Hey, they have thier world, and we have ours! ;-)

WOW -- I didn't know Jason Alexander did mentalism -- what type of effects did he do?
xxx
magician 4
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of magician 4
Why do famous men try and steal the work from us all? I am not going to go and star in a comedy show and so Jason Alexander shouldn't take up mind reading. it is simple as that. does he have the skills of richard busch? I think the answer is probably no let's be honest. still, good luck to him and this can only be good for magic.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Wow -- only 4 posts and bitter ALREADY?!?!?
xxx
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Yeah, those movies stars should know their place; how dare they intrude into our domain.

You know who I'm talking about: Cary Grant, Steve Martin, Orson Welles, John Calvert ... oh wait.

To suggest that Jason is "stealing" work from the rest of us is pretty ridiculous. He most likely has been a magic enthusiast for years. In any event he has just as much right to perform mind reading as you or I. Get over it.

Okay, I'm done.
Joe L.
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 18:19, magician 4 wrote:
Why do famous men try and steal the work from us all? I am not going to go and star in a comedy show and so jason alexander shouldn't take up mind reading. it is simple as that. does he have the skills of richard busch? I think the answer is probably no let's be honest. still, good luck to him and this can only be good for magic.

Do YOU have the skills of Richard Busch? If not, should you drop out of the field?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Was his approach comic or more serious?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Lessee... magic and mentalism are at performing theatrical arts (well, they should be as far as I understand and that is my framework).... also actors are "magicians" in creating illusions in roles and imaginary worlds... so...I'd say watch out that Jason Alexander doesn't spot you and say "man, you are stealing stuff from Shakespeare..."
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 15:04, icy_rabbit wrote:
Hey, they have thier world, and we have ours! ;-)

WOW -- I didn't know Jason Alexander did mentalism -- what type of effects did he do?

He did an effect where a spectator hid a small medallion in one of his hands repeatedly, then brought his hands in front of him and Jason identified which hand it was in. He did a Mental Epic effect, and he did a jumbo card effect where four frames each held one of the queens, with the back (red) showing. One at a time, he held up a jumbo blue queen, and had an audience member tell him which frame to put the card in; at the end, each frame held a red queen and a blue queen, and each pair matched. He also did a prediction effect at the beginning of his act, where he showed a woman a picture with a bunch of cards on it and she was to think of one. His "patter" was mute in this effect; he had a spiral-bound book of instruction that he showed, one page at a time, which was very funny, e.g. "Think of one of the cards." "Do you have one in mind?" "Good." "Is it a black card?" "I knew that." etc. At the end, she called out the name of her card, and he revealed the reason for the mute presentation - in his mouth was a folded up card that matched hers.
This description does an injustice to his act; he had a presentation and patter that gave each effect meaning, and there was an overall theme (patterns and basic human connectedness) that made the effects consistent with each other. It was a very well thought-out and presented show.

harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2006-04-28 19:28, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Why do famous men try and steal the work from us all? I am not going to go and star in a comedy show and so jason alexander shouldn't take up mind reading. it is simple as that. does he have the skills of richard busch? I think the answer is probably no let's be honest. still, good luck to him and this can only be good for magic.

Do YOU have the skills of Richard Busch? If not, should you drop out of the field?

I would love to see the man practice what he preaches.
To believe is Magic.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Sounds like a fun time.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Jason has been a member of The Magic Castle for quite a few years now. When he is in with guests he performs for them down in the museum. His show was a lesson in presentation and it was one of the best shows I have seen in the Parlor in my 7 years as a member.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Actually I believe Jason did magic long before comedy, he just chose to make his living with comedy. I did not know that once one chose a certain profession that they need to remain locked into it for eternity, and may not explore other interests however. There is also such as thing as "comedy magic" also. I find it very odd that anyone would care if Jason chose to do mentalism, or magic, even a magician.

First someone is griping that he is "stealing" from us, and has no skills — yet in the same breath exclaims that "this can only be good for magic." Since when does a performer have to have the "same amount of skill" as another in order to be successful? Never. Also false assumptions about another performer without having been there, nor ever seen them perform is just as ludicrous if not more.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Jason Alexander has been doing magic for years and is very very good.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:

I am sure as Jason decided that he loves mentalism. He thought boy I can really stick it to some people that are trying to make it. I don't want anyone else to become wealthy or famous. Jason can do whatever he wants. If you want to try out for a comedy show GO FOR IT!!

Your post has me laughing.
Dr. Zenitram
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zenitram
I've always been a fan of Jason, this just makes him even better!
Will you, won't you, ESP with me?
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of slydini
I was there last night. I realy enjoyed his show. More power to him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jason Alexander, Mentalist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL