The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jason Alexander, Mentalist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I would think that a high-profile actor like Jason Alexander would have some real advantages doing a mentalist act: (a) people EXPECT him to be entertaining so they won't have that intital 'okay, you're the entertainer so entertain me' chip on their shoulder, (b) he's got all that performance training and experience behind him, and (c) people will be so distracted by the fact they are with a celebrity that misdirection would not be a problem. I'm sure he killed. (Man, I really, really hate people who have more talent than I do...)
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2006-04-30 18:14, Seth speaks wrote:
Mindguy, are ye goin' batty? Can you point out where LobowolfXXX derided Jason? He started and maintained the thread with nothing but admiration. I think you are referring to "magician 4," who hurled an absurd insult and left.

Seth

I apologise to LowbowolfXXX I did indeed confuse him with "magician 4".

I didn't vanish, just got caught up with my day job, being a diplomat....

Sorry again...

By the way, Slag= insult. Flame=contention.

Just two of several UK terms this transplanted Yank from California has learned over the past 17 years of living here in the UK.

Sorry again for my error.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
No harm done; thanks for the cross-country vocabulary lesson. And check out Jason Alexander, if you get a chance. Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bill Martin
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Bill Martin
Maybe he gave up tv and took up mentalism to make some real money.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
Now that is funny!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2999 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
FYI, David Regal wrote an excellent review of Jason Alexander's act in this month's Genii magazine.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
170 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
If you remember he made some references to mentalism in one of the episodes when he said (and I l quote)"...sometimes I think it would be easier to bend a spoon with my mind than to make that transformation...."

Those of you who rememebr the episode will Smile
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
From Brazil and a Sienfeld fan. Which episode is that? I cant think of what that is in.
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
170 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
One where they talk about impotency (I'll let your imagination take over from here)
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I had heard his name come up before, as far as being somewhat of a magician hobbyist and performer for close friends etc. I also heard that he was pretty good.
So, I made it there on monday of the week he was performing at The Magic Castle. We went straight to the parlor and there was a nice long line already.
Ended up waiting almost 2 hours but I also saw his show and was impressed. He was funny and entertaining and presented his stuff very well. I read in the newsletter afterwards how he was a little nervous and honored to be able to perform at The Magic Castle. It seems magic has always been his passion and he did not want to bomb or put a black eye on the art, so to speak.
Anyways, it was a good piece to read and I was glad I got there and waited it out to see his debut.
I also heard how they were turning people away, including magician members due to the capacity crowd at the place. And that was on Monday!

Hey Jason, where are you? Stop lurking and put up a post already!

Just kidding.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I jus read his the Article about him at the Castle in "Magic", I am very pleased to hear that he is into it. Good for him.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
OT: When are you headed back overseas Paisa or are you out of military now?
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
121 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
Jason Alexander actually played a mentalist on a little-watched cable tv show about 10 years ago called "Remember WENN," about a radio station in the 1930s-40s. He was a guest star visiting the station.

Check this link:

http://www.tv.com/remember-wenn/nothing-......ary.html
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
He also wrote the forward to "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic"-- Yes, I'm admitting to have read that surprisingly good book once upon a time, hahaha! Smile
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Maddened
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 04:54, JustinCredible28 wrote:
He also wrote the forward to "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic"-- Yes, I'm admitting to have read that surprisingly good book once upon a time, hahaha! Smile

Yes! I remember that! And it is a good book, let no man say otherwise. But sadly in a bout of madness I actually sold it off and I've been kicking myself still since then. Aargh.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3125 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
He performed marketed effects that anybody can buy from any magic store. And he did it well. Goes to show you just how important presentation is. Sometimes originality gets in the way of a good performance.
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
And in the first ever episode of seinfeld he writes sumthing(can't remember wat) on a note book and turns it around like a mentalist would and shows it to jerry. and it was the correct ansa, (i'm sorry I bearly remember this)
Mostly Harmless ^_^
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2258 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 10:24, rowdymagi5 wrote:
He performed marketed effects that anybody can buy from any magic store. And he did it well. Goes to show you just how important presentation is. Sometimes originality gets in the way of a good performance.

Agreed...MAGIC article was a great read...he did a good job of NOT acting like a magician Smile
Pay it forward
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Jason did a fantastic performance! I loved it- hes a good friend of mine!
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
T Duncan Smith
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of T Duncan Smith
He's definitely a multi-faceted performer. I've heard that he studied Larry David in preparation for his role as George Costanza, and I can see it, but he definitely made the character his own. Maybe that's why I was surprised to find out that he is also a talented song and dance man (I have a hard time seeing David as that). Good for him, if he did it well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jason Alexander, Mentalist (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL