We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Homemade Zombie (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I am making a zombie gimmick with welding rods and the threaded rod that goes on the float ball in a toilet tank... Does anyone have any ideas where to get a suitable zombie ball for not much $?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Check out a craft shop such as Michael's or a Jo-Ann Fabric Superstore. They've got large styrofoam balls that will work well for your purpose.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Thanks! I was thinking of trying to make a round toilet bowl float look good, but I think I have less work to do with the stryro.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Does anyone know how to make foam not look like foam?
RaveMastaE
View Profile
New user
Texas
54 Posts

Profile of RaveMastaE
You can get a paint type material that you can put on styrofoam that will make it hard, or at least a hard outer shell. From there you can paint it any way you want. This comes in a spray I beleive, however a spray can easily take away some of the styrofoam, making it deform.

I will try to find a name,
Evan Douglas
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Styrofoam is light weight but does not finish especially well. Have you checked a craft shop for hollow clear plastic ball halves that mate with a small seam? Drill a hole for the gimmick. You get a gloss paint job by pouring paint inside the ball, swishing around, then pouring out the excess. Christmas ornaments make good (and cheap) symetrical zombie balls, just plug the cork end of the gimick into its hole. Unfortunately most are made of glass so are breakable but some ornaments are plastic.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Here's a little thought/ idea for you...

Stick with the styrofoam ball of your desired size... glue individual sequiens (sp?) to it (all the way around the ball... this will look incredible uder stage lighting!!!

Hope that helps...

Bryan
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I'm just curious. With complete Zombie outfits (gimmick and all) going for $22.50 and up, why try to make one instead of buying one? (There are several models at this price at Daytona Magic. I didn't check anywhere else.)

It seems to me that, by the time you spend the time and money to make your own, you won't have saved much and you'll have a hard time achieving a nice a final product. If you want a glittery look like Bryan is suggesting, there is the Vernet Zombie.

Michael
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I agree that $22.50 is cheap, but so far I only have $1.75 invested in the working gimmick, and if I can get a foam ball/ornament and paint for a few bucks I would rather take that remaining $15 and buy something I can't make easily, or put it toward soem cloth for a foulard.

I really like the idea of building as many props as I can myself.

Thanks for the ideas - I will look at Michael's
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Marvello- some advice since you're planning on making a lot of props:

When you go to Michael's, check every aisle, and keep an open mind. There's tons of stuff there that can be used as parts for magic props (and not just for Zombie), with just a little bit of creativity. Same for Jo-Ann's Fabrics, and Home Depot. Browsing at least those three stores will often net you a lot of good ideas, but keep your eyes open where ever you go- garage sales, thrift shops, etc. You'll be surprised at what you'll find.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
EsnRedshirt- Thanks for the tips. I already spend a lot of time at those places as well as the hardware store doing just what you siggested. Those stores are filled with so much stuff, though, that it is overwhelming sometimes. It's also hard to explain what I am looking for sometimes because they often ask me "what are you making?" and I don't want to say " a gimmick for a zombie ball" or "I am using the wooley nylon for making my own IT," so I always just say it is a school project for my daughter or something to that effect Smile
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Say "I am a magician and I am working on a prop"
Who knows you get a booking.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-04-29 15:18, flourish dude wrote:
Say "I am a magician and I am working on a prop"
Who knows you get a booking.

I know, it's silly, but I don't want to even hint at tipping any secrets, though.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Oh you aren't, plus if you can't tell the truth about it, just lie or use plausable deniability.

I'm always interested in learning how to build stuff, in case I can't find it at the shops, or I want one to tinker with and if I don't like it I'm not out a large amount of money.

Plus if you like the whole DIY magic props, you can make good money doing custom work.
Bill Rubie
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
61 Posts

Profile of Bill Rubie
Why not use a water base paint on a styrofoam ball. In fact buy twenty of them and throw them away when they are spent. Are you developing a new gimick?

I still use the cork and coat hanger.
When a person starts off a factual statement with "They Say"...

Please ask, who are they?

Bill
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
"Think out of the box"

Instead of floating a Zombie Ball, float something else. I've seen Floating Pumpkins, Skulls, Violins, Water Bottles, Donuts, and others.

If you got a specialty, is there something in that specialty you could float?
Dennis Michael
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-04-30 08:27, DenDowhy wrote:
"Think out of the box"

Instead of floating a Zombie Ball, float something else. I've seen Floating Pumpkins, Skulls, Violins, Water Bottles, Donuts, and others.

If you got a specialty, is there something in that specialty you could float?

Thank you!! Finally a sane response.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Thanks for the input. A floating skull is a bit too scary for the kiddies, IMO - but very cool - I have seen it done well. A pumpkin is a good idea- since they have realistic lightweight foam pumpkins. I think that the shape of the ball lends itself to the effect better than other items, but I will be on the lookout for other items to float.
DrVG
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi fellow Magi, any tips on performing surrounded ?
How about hiding the stick and ball INSIDE the cloth ? anyone has experienced making one like that ? gluing ?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2021, DrVG wrote:
Hi fellow Magi, any tips on performing surrounded ?
How about hiding the stick and ball INSIDE the cloth ? anyone has experienced making one like that ? gluing ?

Thing, by Bill Abbott
https://youtu.be/OILFFLStgQg

And if you want to make your own Thing, it is on his dvd Bill Abbott Performs Stand-Up For Kids
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Homemade Zombie (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL