The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best needle through arm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I just wanted to see if someone can give me a lead to a great quality needle through arm?
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2476 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I have one of the original one's...it had a slightly fancy peice of jewlrey around the bulb end to make it look like a ladies long hat-pin.

Mosy of the ones today look like nothing and there is not reason for the bulb handle at the end.
Long Island,

New York
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Is the original still available?
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2804 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Harry Anderson Needle through arm is great Andrew mayne has a method with a paperclip in his book Shock Magic.

Tophatter
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Magician336:

I believe the original is "You-Do Voo Doo" by Bruce Spangler, but no longer available unless you find one from another magician. It is precision made - a real beauty.

The Harry Anderson model made by Sun Magic was also very good, but no longer made. I think some company took over the Harry Anderson model, but I don't know how good it is - the Sun Magic model was very nice.

I believe there are some cheaper versions made in India, but I haven't seen them. My guess would be that they're not very good.

Here's a link for one sold at Denny and Lee. I don't know anything about it, but Denny has a reputation for only selling quality merchandise. I think I would get this one:

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=003626

Ron
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I believe Viking had made some agreement with Bruce Spangler to produce his "You Do Voo Doo"
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
I am very happy with my Dave Powell version of needle through arm. In fact here's a video of my good friend Greg performings it at one of my Wayno-Ques. edited two performances together.
http://www.spookclub.com/vids/needlethrougharm.wmv

For those of you who are unfamiliar with his version, you can check out the details here: http://www.spookclub.com/product_info.php?products_id=529

By the way, Andrew Mayne's version is also available in his Shock FX DVD.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Definitely VIKING NEEDLE THRU ARM IS THE BEST....

CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
405 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
Denny's version is the Viking version. Yes, Viking worked out a deal to be the manufacturer for You Do Voodoo. I haven't see an original but I know that the Viking version is much better than any others I've seen.

I originally bought a "Harry Anderson Needle Thru Arm" but I don't recall who actually manufactured it. I found it to be inferior to the Viking one that I later purchased. The metal is much stronger in the Viking one. This is because the quality of the tubing itself is stronger and because the hole they use for the blood is much smaller. This does mean that the blood must be thinner but the needle is strong enough to stick into an orange. Also, the end is sharpened which is a nice touch.

The Harry Anderson one, along with being of a flimsier tubing, has a noticeable weak spot where the hole is. This weak spot is where mine broke during a performance. It was able to pull the pieces out of either side of my arm and complete the effect but I gave up on the effect until I found the Viking needle.

The other difference between the Harry Anderson needle and the Viking needles is the squeeze bulb. As has been mentioned the viking version has a little decoration that makes it look like a piece of a ladies hat pin. It also screws on forming a good seal. It is possible to destroy the bulb by holding it incorrectly and screwing it on so tight that the bulb rips away from the seal but the instructions explain how to avoid this.

The Harry Anderson bulb slips on over the end of the needle and, at first, this works okay. However, with time the seal will start to wear and if the blood you use is thin it will start to leak around the edge of the squeeze bulb. Also, it's possible to pull the bulb off during performance which I did a couple of times during practice. I quickly figured out that with this model you should hold the needle and only use the bulb to squeeze out blood. With the Viking model you don't have to be so careful.

Both models will work, the Viking model seems to last longer and make the effect easier but the Harry Anderson version was about $15 cheaper last time I checked so it seems that you get what you pay for.

BTW - I don't mean to be bashing Harry Anderson, last I heard he had nothing to do with the version of the apparatus that holds his name I just can't remember who the manufacturer is.

I hope this helps,

Dave
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
David completely correct...I agreee with his review.
But now the Viking version is out of stock :o(

Nat
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Nat
Viking Magic is offering a new version soon...word is that this will be the best.

Nate

Quote:
On 2006-04-28 17:03, magician 336 wrote:
I just wanted to see if someone can give me a lead to a great quality needle through arm?
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, David. I bought one of the original Harry Anderson needles years ago when Jack Sutherland of Sun Magic was having them made. He and Harry Anderson were good friends, so I think Harry was closely involved in the quality, which was good. It was very nicely done then, but Jack was murdered and Sun Magic closed, and the manufacturing was taken over by someone else (perhaps Hank Lee?). It's my understanding that the quality has suffered, as you mention.

Ron
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Another new version from Viking? hhmmm...I should get one.

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
That sounds great I had no idea vikng made a model,i may check that out!can some one also PM regarding the arm preperation.i use something I don't realy think looks that realistic and I wanted to know what works best.
tigerman21345
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of tigerman21345
The needle through arm by Andrew Mayne in Shock-FX is not bad too.
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
I have the GEM hat pin illusion and it has the decoration to make it look like a ladies hat pin and it is very nice.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
AEdwards
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of AEdwards
Go for the one made by Viking You can't beat the quality of that one. I've had mine for over 15 yrs its been used god knows how many times ( It Still looks New ). Keep it clean and well maintained and it should last forever.

Later, Anton
http://www.antonedwards.net

Shattering Reality
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hi Magician 336...
What is the problem? Please PM me, maybe I can help you...

CC

ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ceme20
I also am happy with Dave Powell's version. My main issue is having the R***** C***** cause the needle to not freely slde back and forth. It looks great to see my skin stretch when I pull on the needle, but at the same time the needle is bending more than I like. Twisting it sometimes helps, but not always. I have tried applying different stuff to the needle, but that effects the r c in a not so good way. BTW I haven't found a really good spot with loose skin. Any ideas?
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4729 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
The GEM version was the best model I have ever seen. Unfortunately it is no longer being manufactured. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best needle through arm (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL