The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 13 Steps best effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
After spending a week just skimming in Corinda's book, I'll now begin the actual study of the book, learning and practicing effects. Which leads me to the following question: what are the best tricks in this book? Do you use any on your shows?
After reading so many, I'm overwelmed with so many effects, tricks, possibilities...
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Most seem out of date. They are long and cumbersome in process. HOWEVER, they teach a sly deceptive process that can only be learned in books of this callabre. The blindfold section is good, and you may learn a card trick here and there. Look more for the theories then actual routines. I think the most invaluable section is the last chapter on self promotions...
Luke Kerr
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Luke Kerr
Quote:
After reading so many, I'm overwelmed with so many effects, tricks, possibilities...

Real value of Corinda is not in the effect, don't skim it, study it.
MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of MrX
I agree with Luke. I too made the mistake of first "skimming" Corinda for "tricks" - this was when I first bought the book a few years ago. Then, a few months ago, I began studying it in earnest and have learned a lot about basic principles - even in Steps that I at first thought had nothing to offer (such as 2 person telepathy, since I work alone) - but still, literally each page has something incredibly useful to offer.

Not to sound too "mystical" or weird, but let the book speak to you. Give it time. Just keep going back to it if you are genuinely interested in mentalism as an art.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
In my first post I said that I was finished with skimming the book (I like giving it a first look)...now I'm going to begin to really studying it. I just asked for the best effects to know what's the best ones to practice...I mean there are so many that I can't know them all.

MrX actually I didn't even looked for the 2 person telepathy since, like you, I also work alone, but now I'm going to read it too.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Hi Hitman. I doubt it's possible for anyone to say which are the 'best' routines in Corinda, because what suits one performer won't suit another. We each have our own styles and presentational preferences. My own modest suggestion would be that you see Corinda not so much as a book of tricks and specific routines, even though it's presented as such, but as a series of key ideas and principles. Corinda shows how those basic principles were shaped into finished routines in his era. However, in any performing art - even our own glorious mentalism - times change, audiences preferences and tolerances evolve, and it's for each performer to tackle the challenge of relating to his audience and giving them what they want - even if they didn't know they wanted it before they saw him!

That's what '13 Steps' really is - a marvellous and inspiring collection of all the tried and tested principles which provide the bedrock of mind magic entertainment.

There's no need to feel over-awed by it. Take any single chapter or step, and ask yourself what you can make of it, what ideas suggest themselves to you, and how you would like to adapt the principles and ideas to your audiences, your shows and your style.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-12-05 13:16, HitmanPT wrote:
...I just asked for the best effects to know what's the best ones to practice... I mean there are so many that I can't know them all.

MrX actually I didn't even looked for the 2 person telepathy since, like you, I also work alone, but now I'm going to read it too.

When one first opens any text book they are bound to feel overwhelmed by the amount of the material covered and this text book should not be any excepetion. Make no mistake about it however, as this is a study course where everything builds upon each previous lesson.

Start from the beginning and work at each STEP. Learn it, preactice it and master it. After you begin you will see that learning it all is NOT too difficult and unless you wish to fail miserably in mentalism you do need to learn it all which is why so many magicians fail at it. They do not recognise the true differences between magic and mentalism and make the mistake that they know enough already to carry them. They try, fail and go back to their card tricks. Do NOT make that mistake.

Start from the begining and work at learning and mastering it all. The rest of us have and the results speak for themselves. If you do that, you have already made the first step in stopping your thinking as a magician and trick/secret seeker and moving towards
"the dark side".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
You should read the book cover to cover, then ask this question and discuss your opinion with us. You will learn more that way, plus, we get to hear what you have to share. Sometimes the insight of a beginners mind is just what is needed to light a fire under someone more experienced to revisit a routine or work on something new.

Keep up the work, it's a long road, I've only been studying about 2 years now but I'm kinda starting to get it. Good luck!
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
I just borrowed Corinda's book from a friend
who abandoned 'mentalism'. I'll take your
advice and get back to you.
MAGIC HAPPENS !
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Now I get it...I must treat Corinda's book like a study book to learn the basics of mentalism step by step. Even if I don't use that specific technique I'll read it and learn it!
Thanks for the advices
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Even though some of the effects seem out of date, many can be adapted to suit a more modern way of performing.
Some of the effects have sparked off ideas to develop my own versions or new tricks.

Tim
eize
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of eize
i can not choose a trick,you have to use this book to learn about mentalism,not to learn tricks
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Personally I think the most useful item in the book (13 steps) is the info on pencil and sound and lip reading. And of course muscle reading. With that knowledge you can work miracles. ESPecially pencil reading. The other thing is most magicians/mentalist don't use it or even really know about it and if you work for other performers it may fool them. But I don't suggest working for other performer it was just a THOUGHT
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Stef
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Stef
Recently, I used the "coding" for the two person act (with a partner). On paper... looks easy, but in reality it took us over 3 weeks practice for a 5 minute bit. Fooled them all.
Since I've statred performing mentalism, I've found that, with time and experience, every time I go back to my information (books, videos, lecture notes...) that you have a different view and that ideas (tricks) which I skiped over the previous time, now make alot more sense. Time and again... I repeat this process at the very least once a year (could be more).
So, not only for 13 Step., but for all your material, keep going back, it get better aech time.
Life is a throw of the die.
Mentally yours.
adniroc
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of adniroc
Have any of you mastered pencil reading and lip reading? I'm curious because it seems quite hard to learn!
I know Corinda says it´s worth the effort, but have any of you taken the time learn completely?
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
It would be nice if someone would develop a "study guide" for Corinda, such as has been done for Bobo and Tarbell.

Reading and studying the whole book would of course be a required action, but the Study Guide would be more of a "bang for your buck" guide, if that makes any sense.
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
Quote:
On 2003-03-11 14:08, Hayze wrote:
It would be nice if someone would develop a "study guide" for Corinda, such as has been done for Bobo and Tarbell.

Reading and studying the whole book would of course be a required action, but the Study Guide would be more of a "bang for your buck" guide, if that makes any sense.

I am a beginner too but you really don't need a study guide to Corinda each step builds on the other. For example his third step billet work refers to and ties together the first step on using a swami gimmick. He points out that you don't need to switch billets if you use a swami gimmick for one effect since you just write down the results that are wanted. There is a lot of wonderful material in the third step which is well worth the price of the book. Some of his tricks don't send off fireworks because the description of the effect is straightforward without all the hype magicians are so good at writing when they sell you a trick for 10.00. I did a sort a deck in a paper bag trick from the second step and it impressed my friends no end the method was simple and a good illustration of 'touch reading' which is used in several places through out the book for very different effects. My friends searched the bag throughly and for good measure let my cat investigate it. The cat was in on the trick. The same step has pencil reading and lip reading and how to use the techniques without spending years learning to read lips.

Advice: how about learn one way to billet switch, or force a card and stick with it. That's from the third step. Don't learn 6 just one but learn it. If you learn one trick from each chapter you have 13 solid mentalist effects in your kit. For a mere 24.00 dollars this stuff is GOLD. Don't like any of the tricks take an effect you like and go through Corinda and see how it could be done.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
We use the two person code, as do a lot of second sight acts. Another little gem there that is often overlooked (and it is in Anneman as well) is revealing a prediction in the paper. We arrange to have a selected card or other "prediction" placed in the classified section of the daily paper for the day of the show for the reveal. It's cheap, under $15.00, has a big impact and makes for a great personalized souvenier of the show.

The book is filled with great material and ideas for those who will take the time to learn.

All the best,

Rob
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am so excited about the book.
after I finish the study I will add my review somewhere around here.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 09:21, Matt Malinas wrote:
I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am so excited about the book.
after I finish the study I will add my review somewhere around here.

-Matt

Hello Matt,

I'm sure you will like it very much. I was skeptical before purchasing, because it was written in the sixties, but I didn't regret it at all. Many authors refer to this one, so it's a must have if you like mentalism and mental magic.

Gabor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 13 Steps best effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL