The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Norton Internet Security Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Hey there. I seem to be having some trouble uninstalling my Norton Internet Security 2004 Professional. Whenever I click uninstall or the remove button under Add/Remove Hardware, I always get a message saying that I have to be logged in to a supervisor account in order to proceed. The problem is, it won't let me log in! I stay logged out and everything is disabled. When I click User Accounts, the Log On button can't be pressed. Any ideas?

Dan
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Norton is the problem most likley. I had a problem with norton one time saying that I needed to be logged in as administrator in order to uninstall it. And I was logged in as the Admin. Once norton is on your system, It doesn't want to be taken off, Especially if it has indeed been used. The best way to fix it, Is to actually do a full recover of the system. That is the easiest. You can write script to hack norton and take it out and trick it. But if you don't have the programming experience then that can be a bit more difficult. You might want to try astalavista.box.sk . They may have a hack out there for it for download. I have dealt with them on many occasions for things like that when I have been unable to write the correct scripts. So you may want to check them out. Caution though. If you go there. don't ask any questions. They are primarily Hackers that are more than willing to help. But it also has a ton of Crackers on there as well.

And there is a difference between a hacker and a cracker. Hacker is the good guy, cracker is the bad guy.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
??? not really... hacker and cracker are not terms for good/evil they are terms for the process..

Cracker will generally "break" whatever system is in place, cracking open the passwords, cracking open security, etc...

Hacking is a more broad term that just implies they do anything(including social engineering) to get access to a system.

I would call Norton up on the phone and get irate with them until they tell you simply how to do it or send you a utility that does it.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Daegs, It was just a simple break down. I did not see a need to go and describe what each do. Hackers are non destructive people, that's what I was implying by "Good" and crackers make it a point to break in and cause destruction of systems and other fine things. that's what I was implying by "bad". Hackers are always confused as the bad guy of the internet, And that is false.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
That's totally not true... I know many hackers that are *very* destructive and many crackers that don't cause any destruction.

It's like the difference between an micro-biologist and a macro-biologist...

Both are in the practice of biology and just take different approaches too it... there might be a greater number of evil micro-biologist working on germs or whatever than macro-biologist but that doesn't make either inherintly evil.

That's like saying that a nuclear-physicist is "bad" and a quantum-physicist is "good" mearly because nuclear might be working on a bomb or something.

I agree that hackers are usually confused as the bad guy, but at the same time I don't agree that Crackers are "bad" nor that the terms imply anything more than methods used rather than "goodness" or "badness" of the person themselves.

Just saying, that "Cracker" does not imply causing destruction...

small edit:

I just wanted to note that the term "cracker" has only gained popularity by the hacker community scapegoating that term in order to replace "hacker" as the bad term.

I don't think substituting one term which is neutral but has bad public image for another *neutral* term to take on that bad public image is right... and the only reason I've responded as such.

I mean its a small point and if you are talking to the press or the public then I can see how using the term "cracker" in order to make the "hackers" look good, as in:

person A: "Those evil hackers at at it again"
person B: "Hackers aren't bad, you are really angry at the crackers, hackers are good people"

It's basically what the hacking community has done to the term cracker.... which is incorrect imho.

the way I see it, is that hackers generally will get into the system via any means necessary, usually *bypassing* the security or figuring out the password through elegant means(social engineering or whatnot) vs. actually breaking the security...

Cracker OTOH usually means "cracking the security", in other words cracker generally go for the throat and instead of bypassing security, they bang away at the security until they get in(via brute force, rainbow tables, whatever).

I'm mearly trying to point out that the terms generally refer to the methods used rather than "good" or "bad".

Either term could apply to someone who is good or bad!
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I did a search on there and it seems that I've just gotten a bunch of cracks/serial numbers for Norton Internet Security programs...not quite sure what exactly I would be looking for, though. Should I look for something like, "Uninstall Hack" or similar?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Your best bet is to just call (not email) norton and complain.

I've seen TONS of windows problems with norton ranging from registry errors to settings to permissions to tons more...

Unless you know what your doing(and it sounds from the post so far that you don't), your fastest and simplest way would be to just get norton's guide to uninstallation.(from norton)
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Lol You're correct...I have no idea what I'm doing. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help guys!

Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Norton Internet Security Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL