The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tattoo to butterfly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I'm hoping someone can identify this effect and direct me where to find it (I came across it at one of the on-line stores, got called away on an emergency, and now I can't remember where I saw it).

From what I can recall of the description, you show a tattoo of a butterfly on your arm, it changes and you watch it fly away.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards, Steve
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Wacth out or the Green Lantern will show up to battle you
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Well, I have your answer, guys. I recently purchased a slim but delightful pamphlet called 'The Prestidigitators' Almanac' by Keith Arlen Lack. I got mine from Magic Depot, but they told me it was their last copy, but perhaps they have re-stocked. Check out http://www.arlenstudio.com Inside are the explanations of four effects:
1. The Dear Boss Letter
2. The Butterfly Effect
3. Bleeding Heart
4. Tarot Cards from the Edge & Beyond
Plus 'Performance Tips' and some artwork that you can copy to create your own special cards.
The Butterfly Effect is exactly what you described. Hope this helps! The Dear Boss Letter was worth the price for me. I love the effect of the bloody handprint appearing on the page!
Jim
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Ditto, that is a great issue!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Prof. Pabodie,

That is exactly the effect. Thanks.

What do you think of the Butterfly Effect? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Steve
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Hi, Steve,
I have only read the effect and handling of the Butterfly trick, but my impression is that if you are passionate about performing this, it is definitely a reputation maker. It is so unusual and, when done correctly, I'm sure beautiful, it can't be anything less than stunning to witness. If you're doing an outdoor gig...having this at your ready, for just the right time...would be well worth the effort. Definitely an odd effect. Lack gives you all the info you need in this little booklet. At first I thought I wouldn't go to all the trouble to put this one together...but I do keep thinking about it. I guess I sympathize too much with the butterfly....
And I suppose making a tattoo of a housefly come to life wouldn't be as charming.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Isn't this Andrew Goldenhersh's routine?
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
I am not familiar with that one. In this manuscript, Keith Lack does credit Paul Harris for helping develop some of his thinking on this effect.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
As I understand it, Andrew shared his work with Paul. Andrew has been performing it for quite some time.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Prof. Pabodie,

Do you know if the butterfly is harmed in any way?

Regards, Steve
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Hi, Steve,
I have not tried this effect, but Lack goes into detail about how to make sure the little guy flies away happily at the conclusion. Even if you don't wind up performing this piece, Lack's thinking is intriguing to study. And there are other effects in this little book that I will perform.
Jim
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
I've posted in the secret forum an alternative to "real" butterflies...closest thing to reality without having to wonder how to handle the butterflies (you may want to search polly "wants a cracker" too)
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Prof. Pabodie,

I ordered the Prestidigitators Almanac from Keith Lack at Arlen Studio about a month and a half ago. Unfortunately, the only correspondence I've had from him was an email indicating how much it would be and where to send the money (his PayPal account wasn't set up with his new bank yet since he had recently moved). He has not replied to any of my email inquiries since then (I asked if he had received the money order I sent and what was the status of my order). As far as I know, he has my money, but I don't have the almanac; of course I don't know for certain because he hasn't replied to my emails. Too bad, because the effects sound great. Apparently his customer service is not.

Regards, Steve
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Steve,
This is contrary to my experince with Keith, Perhaps he is on the road or something. I have sent emails to him that were replied to within minutes! I hope this problem gets rectified soon so that you receive your book. As a side note, one of the effects requires the use of a chemical. The company that is mentioned as a supplier has unfortunately gone out of business...but Mr. Lack was quick to furnish me with the name of a company that delivered said chemical to me in two days. After you receive the book, you can PM me for info. Good luck!
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Personally, I'd leave the "tatoo to butterfly" routine to Andrew Goldenhersh. In his hands it is lovely, and there's lot of other magic to do instead.
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
There's a number of good routines in the book we're talking about, not just the tattoo effect. And even though I don't perform the tattoo effect, I thought it worthwhile to study. If I can ever see Andrew perform it, I will certainly feel fortunate.
Sandwichical
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
134 Posts

Profile of Sandwichical
As a guy, I'm a bit skeptical of a "butterfly". Can it be altered to something else?
-Sandwich
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
How about a bat?
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Umm, sure. But producing a live bat doesn't seem nearly as charming. I think most audiences would have a negative reaction; they're not known to be clean, nice creatures.

Yes, I know this is the bizarre area, and pleasing one's audience is often secondary to being "spooky."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
How about having a white dove "tattooed" on your chest, which is seen when you remove your jacket (this only works for body-builder types). After a few bizarre rituals, you grab at your chest and produce a live white dove. The tattoo has changed to a bloody image of a dove as if you had ripped it from your body. You wring the head from the dove and let blood spill out of the head onto the pentagram, where it flashes up. You toss the head back at the dove and it lives again. You let the dove fly off (assuming it is well trained to do so) to one of your stage props, or even off stage. Now tell the audience that you need a virgin to sacrifice in order to complete the ritual and see if you get any volunteers.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tattoo to butterfly (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL