The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Billy McComb (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
I am so sad to to report the passing of my wonderful friend Sir William ... the tears are flowing and no more need be said ... truly the end of an era.

Simon
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1656 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Lost for words..........

Thank you Billy!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-04-30 21:21, Simon Lovell wrote:
I am so sad to to report the passing of my wonderful friend Sir William ... the tears are flowing and no more need be said ... truly the end of an era.

Simon

"The end of an era" sums it up perfectly. There won't be another like him. Some of those tears should be set aside for those who weren't fortunate enough to know him or see him work. Perhaps there should be a "Billy Memories" thread started.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
770 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
This is truly a sad day! He will be missed by all!

Robert Sixx
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
A truly sad day. Thank you Simon.
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Billy was a dear, sweet friend and mentor... he taught me so much about magic, comedy, structure and timing that has helped me throughout my magic and mentalism career... He was a genuinely warm person with the most incredible sense of humor and quite a prankster... his stories and one-liners would always make you laugh no matter how many times you'd heard them...

Billy was chiefly responsible for the act I developed in the 80's that got me booked at the Castle as well as won me 2 big awards at PCAM... his advice and the bits he gave me became an integral part of the act and my character...

Whenever I created something new I always made sure that Billy got one of the first copies of the items... he treasured the handmade Walnut Shells I had made and sold..and loved my pocket finger-writer (designed specifically to make pocket writing easily) and in fact gave me permission to use a routine from one of his books in the instruction manual for the product...

Tonight, for me, the world of magic has gotten a little bit smaller and a whole lot darker... one of the shining lights of magic, someone who I owe so much to is gone... and I will miss him dearly... He was an important part of my magic life and one of the main reasons I rejoined the Castle after a many year absense...

Goodbye my dear friend, my incredible mentor, my magic leprechaun...

Goodbye Sir William... I shall see you again someday (and in the meantime keep the good Lord laughing!)...

Tony Blake
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
263 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
It's hard to think about working The Castle without knowing that Billy will be downstairs with a great idea or funny story to share. He has been a great inspiration since the day that I met him. I will always cherish the memories of knowing him dear to my heart and career. We have lost the worlds largest living magic encyclopedia.

God Bless,
Puck
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dr. Billy McComb was a blessing to all. He had to believe that laughter was the best medicine. He dispensed it freely.

Daryl and I were remembering yesterday how at the swap meet at the Castle I was buying some bundles of cards of the same value from Daryl and Billy advised me to get the 10 of clubs because I got more pips for my money.

Pete Biro had kept me posted. Tonight at supper my attorney called (after chasing me by phone around the country) with the news that Billy McComb was gone. It is tough news.

We will miss Billy.

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I'll never forget this past year while performing in the Parlor at the Magic Castle, having the honor of Mr. McComb come in and watch me perform!

It was a real honor and I will be forever greatful of his kind words afterwards!

Another one of our "Greats" has left us...

I can only imagine what a party they are having up in Heaven right now with the likes of Mr. McComb, Channing Pollock, Jay Marshall, etc.....

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
magicmode
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of magicmode
I just got back to my hotel room and still can't believe the news. I got a phone call about Billy earlier this evening and have been sad ever since. Billy was a magic legend but more importantly he was a friend. I first met him in Los Angeles at a bar (go figure) and we hit it off immediately after exchanging a few jokes and tricks. I peformed my NUN! trick for Billy and he asked if he could have the prop so he could do the trick. I thought he was just being polite. After all, this was one of my magic idols! Well, a year or so later I ran into Billy when we were both guests at Mac King's show in Vegas. I re-introduced myself to Billy and reminded him that I was the guy who gave him the NUN. Billy reached into his pocket and pulled out the nun! He had carried it with him everywhere and said that it was the most fun he had had with a trick in a long time. I was blown away! Billy McComb was performing my trick and I couldn't have been happier. I had performed so many of his tricks over the years and now he was performing something that I created. I can't even describe the feeling. It was truly an honor. I felt like I had re-paid part of a great debt to someone who had given so much to magic.

Since that day Billy and I had become friends and I looked forward to seeing him or receiving the occasional phone call from the master. And now I sit here typing this post with a very heavy cloud hanging over me. Billy McComb is no longer with us, at least not in the physical sense. So many of his jokes and magical creations will live on for generations to come.

Here's to the great Billy McComb and all that he did for me and so many others around the world. He was the coolest old guy I ever met and one *** fine magician. I'm glad I could call you a friend Billy. I'm just sorry that we didn't have more time.

Let's all raise a Captain and Coke (Billy's favorite) to toast the life of the Great Billy McComb.
Thanks for all of the great memories Billy!

Your Friend...

Michael Mode

Click here to view attached image.
RKappe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of RKappe
I had the honor of appearing in a show last year with Billy. Between performances we had a talk about life and death. He shared some of his experiences in medical school (I'm a retired Paramedic)He had a very positive outlook on life and told me that in the end you're left with your memories so have as many good ones as you can. That's one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received. Billy made me feel like a million bucks last holidays at the Larsen's house when he waved to me from across the room. I of course looked around to see who he was waiving at and he came over and said "Lad, I was waiving at you!!! Merry Christmas Randy"
They say a Man's true wealth is measured in the number lives they touch. Billy is a multi-millionaire.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of chappy
I met Billy around sixteen years ago, and during our brief encounter he gave me the best performing advice I've ever received, although it took me a while to realize it. "Keep performing for real people"

In recent years I have come to realize just how much he has influenced my mentors in magic, whom are McComb disciples through and through, and in turn how he has influenced my performance. I could not have dreamed of a better foundation as a performer.

His life will continue to have a HUGE impact on magic as we know it and his tremendous contributions will be remembered forever.

Thanks Billy
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
What can I say that has not already been said?
Billy was as different and unique as they come, a very funny guy and extremely knowledgable about the magic arts in general.

I have many fond memories of Billy from over the years and all of them are special. I was especially pleased when Billy accepted my invitation in June 2004 to be one of our special guests here on the Café. The funny thing was, is Billy had very little skill when it came to computer stuff, but agreed to do the gig anyway. What a trooper. I remember a lot of the young people on the Café sending me emails and private messages asking: Who is Billy McComb? I thought, how do you answer something like that in less than an hour or two?

One of the best things I loved about him was all the great stories he had to tell, truly precious and almost always funny. Many a time I would be at the bar listening to Billy for hours on end and the time always seemed to fly by so quickly during those sessions. I have often heard folks speculate as to how Billy could remember so many different tales. My personal theory is that there was really only one big story, and you got to hear a different part everytime you saw him. Smile

Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to listen Billy. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
I never had the chance to meet him in person, and really kicked myself for missing his lecture a few years back, but he was still a true inspiration to a lot of my magic and will certaily be missed.

Rest in peace Billy, and thank you for everything.
Ross McCourt
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Ross McCourt
It was such a shame Billy was to ill to attend Blackpool this year. I had the honour of meeting him at The Magic Circle's Centenary convention last year. What a true legend, one of the nicest guys you could meet. Rest in peace Billy!

Ross
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5283 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
A true icon has passed. Sir William was a friend to all magicians. His grace and love of laughter are what I remember the most. I am in tears remembering the patience he showed me back in the 70's when I was pestering him with hundreds of questions. He took the time and answered each and every one. He never lost his smile or laugh as he showed this bumbling fool how to!

His passing has created a hole in the small universe of magic.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I was never fortunate enough to meet Billy in person but he has been one of my major influences in magic. I really am sad to see him go.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
R.I.P. Billy!
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I had the pleasure of meeting him once. We have a small cadre of like minded magicians who meet once a month here in Seattle. A few years ago one of our number said that he wasn't going to be able to make the meeting as Billy was at his house (he had been the MC at one of our local club shows that year). I jokingly said "We'll bring him over". Much to my surprise a half hour later we all found ourselves sitting around listening to the wonderful stories of Mr. McComb.
As the evening progressed he noticed my DVD of Lost Empires sitting on my bookshelf. He was unaware that it had been made into a Television movie and told us that he had once had dinner with Priestly and Harbin (who was also in attendance) had doodled solutions to the fanciful illusions that were described in the book on a napkin.

The word is a lesser place now that your gone Billy.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Oh gosh...I'm so upset. When I clicked the little flashing button that said I had a new PM, I was shocked when I saw the title. I can't believe he's gone...just like that...I never got to meet him in person as I always have dreamed, but I was very eager to speak with him while he was a Guest of Honor here at the Café. I'm glad I took advantage of that opportunity.

I honestly am speechless. I don't know how to react. Sir William McComb was a true legend in the art of magic. He will always live on through the ages in the minds and hearts of magicians as all of the other greats do. I can see his name in magic books all over the place years from now...he will truly go down as a genius, phenomenon, wonder, etc. when it comes to magic.

I didn't know him personally, as some of the older members here have, but I know him enough to say that he will truly be missed by young and old alike for the years to come.

Dan
If it is to be, it is up to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Billy McComb (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL