The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Large dye tubes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I was wondering if anyone knew were I could get a dye tube large enough for six (6) 18 inch silks. I want to do a continues color changing silk through paper tube like in Tarbell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rob Pond
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Home Depot (or your local hardware/plumbing store) is the cheapest place. 5 inches of 1.5 inch diameter brass drain pipe should do it. Sand the edges after cutting the pipe. Sand the exterior prior to spray painting it flat black. If you MUST have a stopper, try black cloth tape from a fabric store (three-quarter inch wide should do it). Saw a slit on each side of the center of the tube, insert the cloth tape, then bind the ends sticking out of the tube with black electrician's plastic tape. However, if you practice with the tube a lot, you don't need any stopper. I have even performed with a cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper, but it doesn't last as long.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
Other than making one yourself Rice silk studios had a large one at a reasonable price.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Ruth Rice has books on the this "Thru the Dye Tube" and three different sizes of dye tubes that will hold the silks. Go to the Rice website and then write Ruth. I am sure she can help you.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
Thank you for all of the help. I will be going to Home Depot this weekend and pick up a couple of different sizes to expirement with. I am also going to get one from Rice when I get more silks.
Rob Pond
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Spellbinder tells all my good secrets! Mine is a large pill bottle with BandAids on it for color.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
Wow, you must have some very large pills. I tried one of my pill bottles and I could barely get one silk in it. Maybe I should ask my grandparents, they have big pill bottles (and lots of them). Thank you for the idea.
Rob Pond
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rob,

Ask your pharmacist for a 40 dram vial. It will hold six 18" silks. If you will saw the end off in a mitre box it will be straight. Remember that they will melt. So that if you drill it, do it at slow speeds and use a sharp bit.

Contact lense saline bottles will be the same size but they are too soft.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I just got back from doing silk lectures in Ohio. How did I miss you?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I will ask my cousin(he is a pharmist) for one next time I see him. As for missing me with your silk lectures, I live in the middle of nowhere in Northwest Ohio. My town is so small it isn't on most maps. I wish I would of known about them though, they would of been a lot fun time.
Rob Pond
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Large dye tubes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL