The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine - Friend or Foe? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Liquid B
View Profile
New user
Toronto
28 Posts

Profile of Liquid B
Hey everyone, I've only been around the forum for a few months, but in the short time I've spent here, I've noticed people's opinion of Blaine goes one of two ways. They either like him(seems to be the minority) or hate him.

Myself, I like him. I find his approach extremely fresh. And he's brought a lot of attention back to the craft. He seems to be making magic more believable for the layperson. It's no longer large illusions on a huge stage with lights, music and assistants. Sure people enjoy watching such spectacles, but they know it has to be a trick. With David, people actually have to ask themselves, could he really have magical powers. And whenever one of his specials air on tv, the next day everyone at work is talking about it. Which is good for myself and fellow magicians as it keeps magic at top of mind of people needing to find entertainment for various functions.

Sure he may not be the most talented magician in the world. But he, as far as I know, has never claimed to be.

To me he's just guy who saw an opportunity and took it. No one else was doing anything like that. Any specials I ever saw on tv were all by illusionists, following an already proven path.

Anyhow, I seem to have rambled on there, I'm just curious what everyone thinks about him. Good or Bad.

Okay, talk to you later.

Liquid B

Smile
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
A very large thumbs up for DB. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
Kenton Knepper best describes why David Blaine appeals to me. You can read his article at:
http://www.online-visions.com/krystal/0306kenton.html

"Pause and Silence can create wonder."
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
Good ...yes
cool......no

I feel this man has had a complete carisma bypass.

he claimed that he did not do frozen in time for the publicity.

so why did he do it in time square instead of his back yard??

But I wouldn`t mind his wealth Smile
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
If there is one thing Blaine does have it's charisma! The ladies love him I think I heard one girl call him "a cute little bucket of spooky". Every lay-person I know who's had lunch with him and so forth said "There is just something about him that puts you in awe".
Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
What does it matter, you like him right?

I like him and I hate him. I can't be anymore
cryptic, or truthful than that. He has a
charisma that few people have. He is able to
take simple tricks and turn them into
miracles... He aparantly has little skill
with his props...AND THAT IS THE BEST SKILL
TO HAVE.

He knows how to sell himself, He takes
artistic license, He's a nice guy when
approached by the little guy, and he reaches
out to everyone. He entertains, but more
importantly he inspires laymen.

He has something that is invisible to many
magicians... he is super famous.... and I
am not, and so I am jealous.
I hate him, I don't like that I will
probably never have what he has... I think
he should prove himself to the magic
community before getting famous... so I'm
going to put him down with every underhanded
sleight I can think of to make me feel a bit
better about my skill, and my status as a
magician.

It is arbitrary. It is a question to be
debated by elitists. Like him or not, there
he is.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Hive is right. Blaine usually gets bashed by other magicians for a few reasons. 1. Professional (and amateur) jealousy. 2. Intimidation. 3. Ego, and #3 is usually the biggest culprit.

me.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I am a huge Blaine fan, for all the reasons Liquid B listed. I also think that he is extremely talented and one of the greatest magicians in my lifetime. (I'm 37, just to put some perspective on that.)

--Christopher Carter
MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
137 Posts

Profile of MrX
I think the only "magician" who should be bashed by other magicians is that masked idiot who actually reveals the working of effects on television. Who is this moron?!?!?
sak07
View Profile
New user
Stirling/Manchester UK
54 Posts

Profile of sak07
I think the David Blaine love or hate him principle is because of his use of camera editing to bring off tricks. There is nothing more annoying to me to see a magician on tv employing camera tricks because it totally disrepects the art. Blaine is a good magician but not the best and I think 'hivemind' hit the nail on the head saying that because he hasn't proved himself to the magical core many believe that perhaps he doesn't deserve the oppurtunity he was given. In terms of charisma a believe he is lacking but magicians with alot of charisma are usually making up for a lack of ability and Blaine certainly lets his ability do the talikng. I love David Blaine, I get excited when i know he's tv, he has really given us great media attention in the last few years and for that I think we all owe him a great deal of credit.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I understand about the Editing, But I under-
stand it from both sides. It is lame that
people think he can actually do those things
in real life EXACTLY as they see on TV, and
so expect other magicians who think they are
his equal to be able to do the same.

In their minds, if anyone else was as good as
he, they would be on TV too... it only
strengthens his persona.

On the other hand, if he did not use edits,
it may
1) be easier to pick out modus operandi
2) not have the effect on the NON LIVE
audience that it did on the live one.
Remember that nothing is as impressive on TV
because camera tricks are often assumed. If
a magician wants the audience at home to
think he is amazing, he will have to figure
out a way to translate the illusions...

How would you have made the baladucci look
credible to a non live audience?

As a test I had a friend over yesterday. He
had never seen Blaine, or any one really
except Penn & Teller. I put the first Blaine
special on (Street Magic? The one with the
levitations)

When the special began making the statement
"When we come back David Blaine WILL
levitate" he immediately became skeptical
Then everytime reactions were shown but
Blaine was not... he scoffed more, when the
levitation was shown where Blaine only came
off the ground a couple inches... he
suggested there was something in Blaine's
shoe...when finally, the special got to the
edited levitation where Blaine comes a good
foot off the ground, he said "Wow, that guy
is amazing"

Something is lost when you are not affected
by the PRESENCE and CHARISMA of a performer.
Since that is so important to magic, there
will always be a tendancy to compensate...
Maybe Blaine's method was a bit too
misleading... but maybe it was just right...
How would you have done it?

Keep in mind... it is all illusion.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
The Masked Moron is on Fox's payroll. That's all we know about him/her, except for the fact that he/she exposes "secrets" (mostly methods) on television specials. From what I've heard it's not just the MM revealing secrets, it's several magicians selling the methods to Fox or the MM.
Now back to the Blaine debate:
I'm not against Blaine using a camera to edit certain things, like a camera angle that wasn't right during filming. Stage magicians (and even close up pros) have to work with stuff like that all the time. He has proven that you don't have to "prove" yourself to the magic community to be successful as a magician. However, I have to doubt that the editing is the only thing causing grumbling from the magic community, especially when I hear a basher complain about the way Blaine dresses or his patter.

me.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Quote:
On 2002-12-08 18:35, IceRaven02 wrote:
However, I have to doubt that the editing is the only thing causing grumbling from the magic community, especially when I hear a basher complain about the way Blaine dresses or his patter.

Quote:
Blaine--
Watch...watch...

LOL! Yes. I can see how some people don't
like that. I don't think its very artful
at all, but I don't think it is a reason to
bash him.
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
no-one can deny that we are all guilty of a little bit of deception in what we do,DB does this on a larger scale/to a much bigger audience, so loath him i may, but this is my opinion and in the same breath i i will say i like what he does even if to me it seems like he comes across a little cardboard sometimes.
after all this is one of those entertainers that peolple ask me about when im performing.

so in all he is bringing quality magic back into the public eye. for which i hold the upmost respect. FAIR PLAY TO HIM

as for the MM he has been the sole cause for me to kill of more than one routine from my performance........Perhaps one day some-one will do the same to him/her Smile
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Blaine, along with Copperfield and others, helped get me interested in magic.

I remember watching him as a layperson, and I enjoyed him.

He is giving magic a lot of positive exposure, and he performs with a unique style.

I give him a thumbs-up.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Don't remove anything from your routine just because the MM exposed it! For every one person that watched those specials there were five more who did not. From the laypeople I've asked who actually saw them, they got bored and switched the channel. I have had a suspicion that the ratings came from a large number of magicians tuning in to watch, and the ratings for the shows must've been horrible.

me.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Blaine's cool. I'm so mad I missed my chance to meet him! He was doing a book signing at the book store just down the street from where I work. Of course I found out about it the day after...
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I can't tell you how many times I've heard people (magicians) bad-mouth Blaine. Most say something like "He's not even that good!", or even "I'm better than he is." The fact is that the world we live in today is dictated to a large degree by image and marketing. Why else would someone pay $80 for a pair of jeans or $200 for a pair of shoes.

Blaine and others like him (I'm gonna get killed for saying this but Brad at ellusionist) market themselves or their product very effectively. As for Blaine editing his shows, who doesn't. I heard that the Survivor crew shot over 8,000 hours of footage and the entire length of the show was 12 hours. They edited, created a great story, and made tons of money!

Could I ever do magic as good as Blaine - maybe. But I doubt I could ever market myself as effectivly!
William Holcomb
wiggys
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of wiggys
Is Blaine a good magician?

Er, he's okay.

Is Blaine a spooky kind of spiritual star celebrity with mass market appeal?

YES!

Is he successful?

YES!

Give the guy a break. MAGICIANS ARE SUPPOSED TO DECEIVE THEIR AUDIENCE, that's the whole point.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Wiggys, I think some magicians just get a little offended when they feel another magician is trying to fool them too, instead of letting them in on the "secret." And some of them don't like camera effects being used on television specials. There is always criticism when it comes to DB or any magician. But it is important to recognize that there is both positive and negative criticism about his magic. As long as there is that, I won't let the DB debate worry me too much. Smile

me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine - Friend or Foe? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL