The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Adobe Acrobat in trouble? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
There are a lot of technically savvy people here, so here is my question:

With all the PDF file creation software on the internet for free, is Adobe Acrobat software in any danger of becoming obsolete?

Dai Bato
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I doubt it considering they recently bought macromedia.

Also, I think PDF being open source was prt of their sinister plot to take over the world. Smile
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
No but eventually the technology will advance enough that a newer reader won't be backwards compatible making all your old PDF's unreadable. A book a hundred years from now can still be read. A PDF, VHS or DVD will not fair so well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Huh? you really don't understand anything if you are saying that Payne.

Backwords compatibility has to do with older readers reading NEW files.(not newer readers unable to view older files).

Any old files will *always* be readable since the newer readers can just emulate the older readers to read them...

There is never going to be a problem with newer readers not reading older files unless the developer is an idiot(which adobe isn't).
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Let me rephrase my question:

If you can convert a Word or .jpeg or any other format file to .PDF for free, why even bother buying Adobe Acrobat at all?

Dai Bato
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Support...

When you pay for a product you get support (and hopefully good support).

With open source or free software, while some support can be good for the most part you are at the whim of the creator.


Same reason people use Norton or Word or whatever else instead of the free open source equivilents, because either they don't know any better, or because they need features that the others don't provide(such as support).
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-05-02 00:28, Daegs wrote:
Huh? you really don't understand anything if you are saying that Payne.

Backwords compatibility has to do with older readers reading NEW files.(not newer readers unable to view older files).

Any old files will *always* be readable since the newer readers can just emulate the older readers to read them...

There is never going to be a problem with newer readers not reading older files unless the developer is an idiot(which adobe isn't).




Yeah, right.
Where I work, in IT support, we are planning to go to Office 03 (we're at 97 right now). One of the things holding us back is that the older version of Access is incompatable with the new. We have thousands of Data Bases that need to be converted as the newer version won't read the older.
Backwards compatability has always been a problem in the software industry. This coupled with the fact that twenty five years from now there will be nothing available to read all those CD's and DVD's that contain the PDF files. Think Betamax of 5 12 inch floppy. Heck in 5 years you'll have a hard time finding a pc that can read a 3 14 floppy as most PC's being sold today no longer have them.
You'll always be able to read a book.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Payne, That is microsoft for you. I have my own IT consulting that is just starting up. I have been advising against office for 2 of my cliets. OpenOffice.org is so much better, and has a great source for support.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-05-02 13:50, Corey Harris wrote:
Payne, That is microsoft for you. I have my own IT consulting that is just starting up. I have been advising against office for 2 of my cliets. OpenOffice.org is so much better, and has a great source for support.


It's not just Microsoft. We have backward compatable issues with other software companies as well. Though not nearly as many in recent years.
It is also tough not to be a "Microsoft Shop" when thier offices are in your back yard and they basically make you offers you can't refuse. He it's job security.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Wait until you see their new OS. It won't be backwards compatible with ANYTHING that Bill Gates hasn't put his imprimatur on.

Regarding "free file creation software," while it may work fine for transporting files from your computer to mine, it may not work well for the publishing industry. For example, when I submit a book to Sheridan for their printers to print it, I have to set up my Pagemaker document to their specifications. Then I have to convert it to a postscript file using an Adobe post script printer driver. After that, I can convert it to a PDF. I don't understand why all of this is necessary, but it makes absolutely certain that what I send them is what I get.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
1st: who the heck uses access? if you are using access you *deserve* your data to go currupt.... lol(ok I'm jk but seriously M$ is full of problems)

2nd: I don't see how well a book can track large databases full of relationships and hundreds of millions of entries and province meaningfull results as a database can.

There are still services to read older formats and transfer them to new, just like you can with CD's or floppies(not to mention you should be re-burning your cd's every 5 yr's or so as after 7 data corruption can be a problem, Also be *SURE* to turn your cd's over every 6 months, believe it or not but gravity can actually harm the cd's left in storage and flipping them every 6 months is very benifitial).


Anyway, it's not like the data will be gone... you can always transfer.

Besides what if we change languages???

Books are not a replacement for many data structures used in computing...
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
See the song "PC99" on http://www.tomsmithonline.com. It says it all.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Thanks Daegs. Tom's a dear friend of mine. In fact, I took him to his first con and his first filk.

I guess I am somewhat to blame for his career, according to him... a wonderful guy.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 13:55, Daegs wrote:
1st: who the heck uses access? if you are using access you *deserve* your data to go currupt.... lol(ok I'm jk but seriously M$ is full of problems)

2nd: I don't see how well a book can track large databases full of relationships and hundreds of millions of entries and province meaningfull results as a database can.

There are still services to read older formats and transfer them to new, just like you can with CD's or floppies(not to mention you should be re-burning your cd's every 5 yr's or so as after 7 data corruption can be a problem, Also be *SURE* to turn your cd's over every 6 months, believe it or not but gravity can actually harm the cd's left in storage and flipping them every 6 months is very benifitial).


Anyway, it's not like the data will be gone... you can always transfer.

Besides what if we change languages???

Books are not a replacement for many data structures used in computing...


Sure, the data is always there, right? So, you take all the books you wrote on your first microcomputer, and you port it over to your new system, and you save it on 5 1/4 inch floppies. Then, you discover that your new computer doesn't use 5 1/4 inch floppies, so you use your old computer to burn them to 3 1/2 inch floppies or Zip drives or whatever. Then you find out that your new system doesn't take 3 1/2 inch floppies, so you burn them to CD's. Each iteration offers a chance for data corruption.

I'll agree that books are not a replacement for many data structures used in computing, but I know from experience that computers are not a replacement for the physical structure of a book.

Pick up a good book. Smell the binding. Feel the texture of the pages. Open four or five books simultaneously. Or a dozen. Compare writing styles.

Now, pick up a CD. Smell the jewel case. I guess you are done now.

Sure, you can do e-books with built in video. But they aren't absolutely necessary.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Adobe Acrobat in trouble? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL