The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Blaine Sphere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 15:27, tvmagic wrote:
I watched them take the urine bag out of the tank on Monday, around 6:30pm. it had been free-floating in the tank with him.

That's just gross!!!
Kinda' like peeing in your bath tub.
tvmagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tvmagic
Tim, no problem. So far this is my favorite of DB's stunts. Very strong visually, and also the location is terrific. Looking forward to the finale on Monday night.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
As far as the "urine bag", with my experience in the EMT field, I would have to say he has a catheder with a shunt on it to allow for the removal and reconnection of the bag. I'm not sure if anyone in here has ever had to wear a catheder, but I know it is not the most comfortable device... From a medical stand-point, I would be afraid of infection... if you do have a catheder, you have to change it from time to time due to the bacteria build up internally... I won't go into much detail here as I'm sure some of you may be eating your Mac 'n Cheese sitting at your computer and it is gross... Anyway, for the sake of magic's reputation, I hope he has a lot of success with this TV special...

-Bryan
dranex
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of dranex
No debate, as I said before It seems I'm out of the loop. I'm not sure how thinking it through would have helped me as I wasn't tipped to this (switch)....but anyways. Does anyone know what the big helmet he was wearing today was for, as opposed to just the face mask?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
The helmet lets him talk through an intercom system. He switches back and forth between them.

Best,

Tim
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
BUT WHY??????

Fame for fame's sake?

There may be people who like him, but those who don't usually don't because all he does/did in cheat on his magic video and do lame stunts.

At least Houdini was escaping from something!

I can't see the appeal of this hero worship of someone who does nothing of any use or magical entertainment.

Worse! It leads to Copperfield doing lame "tornado of fire" stunts and cheating on his video in an attempt to keep up with Blane.

Mind you, at least Blane came to England!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
extremagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of extremagic
I concur. Shouldn't a modern day magician / entertainer aspire to be a BETTER magician than Houdini? Blane has oxygen, food, WATER... where is the danger? Where is the entertainment? It's boring! Where is the skill in swimming in a bubble? His brain is saturated enough!
(Or deprived of oxygen). Don't you think someone in the public eye representing our art form should at least master the english language? UMM, hey, MAn,
AHH, You would think if he can afford a PR firm to help him advertise these stunts, he might think about adding a script writer to his payroll.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
All, Thanks for the photos and thoughts of the sphere fabrication and design. Was interesting and infomitive.

Cheers,
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
dranex
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of dranex
I don't see why a modern day magician SHOULD aspire to be better than Houdini. They can be inspired by him and just take it in different directions. I'm not sure what you mean when you say there is no danger because he has oxygen....last I checked 7 days without oxygen isn't really possible, and no water for 7 days would also equal death.
Again, I'm pretty sure that they are mostly publicizing the last part of the stunt, which is what the special leads up to. This is the part which is pretty impressive, In my opinion (if everything is fair).
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Blaine has done more for magic than you may think!

I personally don't care for him... but the fact is- he's inspired a new generation of conjourers... Yah, maybe they are nothing more than an XCM loving souls who tote their black tiger deck around and wear out their Ellusionist.com t-shirts... The positive thing is this... He's sparked the desire to learn more... think about your own life! Where and when were you first getting into magic? Where you following a long-haired hippie that rolled brightly colored boxs that looked as if they were rolled through Haight and Ashbury with the rainbows and gody colors, or where you trying to uphold the image of Thurston, Keller, Houdini, and Blackstone?

All my point is...
Blaine is appealing to a new generation of magicians... if they have to sift through the countless; so-called, "extreme magic" and "street performer" tricks before they uncover the rich history and true- roots of the art... That's great!!!

Last time I checked, magic wasn't at the top of the list of most desired careers or hobbies! On the other end, I'm glad I was brought up in it! All I can say is... what ever publicity anyone in our art can bring to the public puts "us" one up... I can't recall how many shows I've booked in the past because someone loved to watch magician's on TV and wanted to see newer and bigger tricks in their home. (granted- what was new to them, was older than the Tarbell books...)

Just my two cents...
Bryan
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Indeed even though I am in England, I was inspired by a long haired hippy with brightly coloured boxed then a bit later a man with extremely bad jackets and even worse haircuts - Hence I became a stage illusionist.

What will Blane inspire? Swimming lessons and looking moody?

What is Blane actually doing? I mean staying in a global tank for a week !?!?
It may be an endurance thing, but apart from that, I see little to get inspired by.
If you add to that people wanting to get into his kind of magic and finding out all you need is not years of practice by a good video editor then again, not very inspirational.

Even (and of course) Houdini inspires people today, what he did may have been for publicity for his shows, but what he did was an escape or a trick or both - Something that had meaning not a "What's happening? What does it mean? Why bother?". Anyone watching Houdini understood what it was about. It had a beginning, a middle and an end, not just a physical stunt with no meaning.

So if somehow Blane swimming around in a bubble for a week inspires someone to do a double life whilst standing on a street corner, the all well and good, but I'll stick with my hippy and bad haircut blokes.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Here's a few pictures that I took at the start of the event.

http://www.famoodle.com/index.php?mode=p......p_id=983

The last pictures show the tent housing the elaborate water filtration system used to "clean" the aqua environment inside the bubble.

Bosco
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Very cool Bosco. Thanks for sharing those. Nice to see behind the curtain.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
dranex
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of dranex
Wow, those are some great photos. Love the Paul Harris one.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
David's hands are so bad..... Literally rotting because of the water its insane.
a video of it at CNN.com
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 19:13, extremagic wrote:
I concur. Shouldn't a modern day magician / entertainer aspire to be a BETTER magician than Houdini? Blane has oxygen, food, WATER... where is the danger? Where is the entertainment? It's boring! Where is the skill in swimming in a bubble? His brain is saturated enough!
(Or deprived of oxygen). Don't you think someone in the public eye representing our art form should at least master the english language? UMM, hey, MAn,
AHH, You would think if he can afford a PR firm to help him advertise these stunts, he might think about adding a script writer to his payroll.

I live on Long Island and can tell you that Blaine has generated a tremendous amount of interest locally with his various stunts. Apparently this interest has spread to the rest of the country, and even to other countries. Are his stunts 'magic?' No. But who cares? Blaine has mastered the art of generating publicity, and he's made a very good living doing so. I say more power to him.

These stunts have led to television specials for him. I've heard lot's of people here on the Café and on other boards talk about Blaine not being the best magician, using camera tricks, etc. Again, who cares? Non magicians don't know about the camera tricks - to them it's magic. As far as him not being the best magician in the world - he's one of very few in my lifetime getting television specials doing his magic, so he's doing something right. Give the guy a break. I'll be sure to give you one when you're television special is aired - and I'll defend you too from all the other magicians on this board who have nothing but criticism for you.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/727/23/0

His hands are looking pretty gross already- let's see what he looks like on Monday
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Even before seeing the pictures of his hands I was thinking that this is not a trivial stunt. It may not take skill or dexterity but staying in a liquid environment for a week would require determination, courage, and confidance in his team. He's creating a media event that has captured peoples interest. It may have nothing to do with what we think of as magic, but it is a BIG, bizzare stunt.
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
You have to applaud the guys publicity efforts, even if you don't like him. If you recall, just a few years ago Chris Angel did this same stunt almost exactly staying in a water torture cell for several days and then escapeing at the end. Chris received mediocre publicity. David Blaine is making headlines, again.

Harry
Harold White
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
I did a little research on the net. It said the average people can stay awake about 3 to 4 days. The world record is 264 hours which is 11 days. So I don't know. What do you think? Its wort check this site.

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.......opicID=3
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Blaine Sphere (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL