The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This One Got Me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'll come right out and say it..I HATE TV commercials! Most of them are inane, condescending, insulting, and downright obnoxious.

But, still, there are a small percentage that break the mold. The Geico cavemen is one I always get a kick out of.

But today, I saw one that got a big chuckle out of me. It was a new one for Life Vanilla Yogurt Crunch,. Shows a guy with a big smile sitting down at the breakfast table, and he has a box of the cereal. The announcer says introducing Life Vanilla Yogurt Crunch! The guy opens the box, pours it into his bowl, and gets a bowl full of Lego blocks! The next scene we see his kid in school with a lunchbox full of the cereal, pouring the milk on it. It's really cute.

This one I like..because it shows exceptional imagination in the writing. The first time you see it, it totally surprises you when the Lego blocks end up in his cereal bowl. You think to yourself "What??? Is this a joke?"

But as I said, 99% of the remainder I detest.

And that's my say.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I haven't seen the cereal conmercial but that Geico caveman one still kills me.

My wife thinks I'm crazy but the stare at the end is priceless. ( sort of reminds me of Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison in The Doors movie)
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4143 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I like the commercial with the English chimney sweeps who are thinking about moonlighting. Every time they speak, breath, laugh, etc.... black vapor comes out of their mouths.

I thought it was hilarious.

The medieval Capital One ("What's in YOUR wallet?!?!) marauders are getting a bit tiresome.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-05-01 18:51, Lambertmoon wrote:

My wife thinks I'm crazy but the stare at the end is priceless. ( sort of reminds me of Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison in The Doors movie)

What those two guys portray through all those prosthetics is astounding! And you are right, that cold stare at the end is soooo cool! This commercial is a modern day classic.

This commercial is so very well thought out. The two cavemaen, obviously college educated, cultured, having a business lunch, and obviously having a hard time making it through this prejudiced world, facing discrimination every day, and they are sick of it! It's all written between the lines of the spot, and it works so very well.

And they fit it all in thirty seconds! Amazing!

Posted: May 1, 2006 8:04pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-05-01 19:38, Chessmann wrote:
I like the commercial with the English chimney sweeps who are thinking about moonlighting. Every time they speak, breath, laugh, etc.... black vapor comes out of their mouths.

I thought it was hilarious.

The medieval Capital One ("What's in YOUR wallet?!?!) marauders are getting a bit tiresome.

Haven't seen that chimney sweeps one yet.

Posted: May 1, 2006 8:05pm

Quote:

Some people say it actually IS Val kilmer behind the make up.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2006-05-01 20:02, daffydoug wrote:

This commercial is so very well thought out. The two cavemaen, obviously college educated, cultured, having a business lunch, and obviously having a hard time making it through this prejudiced world, facing discrimination every day, and they are sick of it! It's all written between the lines of the spot, and it works so very well.
[/quote]

My wife cringes every time she asks what we want for dinner. A couple of months ago she asked and I said " I'll have the roast duck with mango salsa" My son, without missing a beat said " I seem to have lost my appetite" as he glared in.
It's become a running gag.

I also love the sports commercial with Dwight Clark's "The catch", Jeter's cut-off against Oakland and Jordan's jumper.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
LOL!!!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For me, it's the FedEx cavemen commercial that gets me. He oes out and fights his way to the pterodactyl, ties on the message, the dino gets chomped by a T-Rex, he gets back grunts to his boss that the package didn't make it out. His boss, the other caveman asks, "Did you use FedEx?" The guy grunts, "No. It hasn't been invented yoe, how could I" in grunt, with subtitles.

His boss grunts and the subtitles say, "Not my problem, you're fired."

The first one leaves the cave and kicks a small dino on his way out and as it goes flying off, he gets stomped flat by a house-sized dino-foot!

Hysterical and completely unexpected.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Remember when that stuff shown between the commercials was what made the real impression on viewers? Smile

That being said, in these post-LazyBoy days, I can only look at little Roxie and wish she could somehow crawl up onto a comfy-looking recliner and burst into a Lerner-esque song, "...would--n't it --- be loverly?"
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-05-01 20:05, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:

Some people say it actually IS Val kilmer behind the make up.

You never know. He did take a $300,000 US tax hit a while back that he wasn't thinking he'd have to pay. He's signed to about seven movies that are in pre-production this year, so maybe he's taking all the work he can get. Bigger names have shilled lesser products.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I like this commercial from Carlton Draught.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This One Got Me (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL