The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » "All Screwed Up" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JDmagic
View Profile
New user
Georgia
7 Posts

Profile of JDmagic
I recently learned a great trick called "All ***ed Up". The effect is that the magician presents 3 small nuts, he picks one up and tosses it into the other hand, then a second one is thrown in the same way. The third nut is placed in the pocket. Ask the spec how many nuts are in your hand, they will say 2 (if you do adult magic, this is a great trick, just imagine the jokes).

When the hand is opened there are 3 nuts there. The process is repeated a second time, only this time when the hand is opened there are 2 nuts and a bolt (even better joke).

The third time is the kicker, the bolt is thrown to the right hand and both nuts are placed in the pocket. Ask the spec which item was thrown into the hand, they say it’s the bolt, when the hand is opened there is only one big nut. Another good joke opportunity.

If you know this trick please let me know what ya think of it.

JD Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
This routine originally appeared in Genii magazine in the 1970s, under the name Screwed by Gary Frings.

It is a basic two in the hand, one in the pocket routine; but the ending in the original -- where the two nuts end up on the bolt -- is totally unexpected.

Doc Eason revived it some years later. He markets it under the name Nutz (I believe) and has turned it into a signature piece for him.

I have been doing it since I first saw it in Genii about 30 years ago.

The patter makes or breaks the routine; the switch and kicker ending make it a killer for lay audiences.

And, because it needs no reset, it's great for table workers.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi JD!

Sounds like a great trick!

Why don't you post a question to Doc in the Doc Eason section on this board!

I'm really curious what he has to say, as I'd like to get this!

Can't go wrong with Peter's help as well! Always has good advice!

Steve
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I use it. It’s a great application of the "two in hand" routine. I knew the principle years ago, but adopted the nuts and bolts after seeing Doc Eason’s tape. His ending is a bit different. The two nuts magically end up on the bolt.

The same moves can be used, impromptu, with almost any small objects. I read a routine on another forum that uses rubber ***roaches! (Probably not too smart in restaurant walk-around, tho...) Smile
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1178 Posts

Profile of Jared
I’m glad to see some people are awake out there. ’All ***ed Up’ is a wonderful routine for table-hopping and makes a great opener. It’s special because the props are SO unique that it automatically generates interest (you can almost hear people thinking to themselves, "Nuts and bolts - is this guy kidding?"

Here’s a great tip for those in the know...

I work this routine from my outside RH jacket pocket. So often I used to fish around ’feeling’ for the three nuts while trying to finger palm the fourth.

Here’s a simple way to facilitate that. Obtain a small jewelry bag and put the three nuts inside. When you bring the bag out of your pocket, it’s very easy to ’find’ the fourth nut (by feel) compared to the size of the bolts.

When you put the bag away for the night drop the bolts and extra nut in the bag and everything stays together.

It’s not much, but sometimes it's the little things that make a difference in the real World.

Buy Doc Eason’s routine - it’s one of the best values going.

- Jared Smile
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Years ago - in the Linking Ring, there was a column called Come a Little Closer by Ric Johnsson. In one of the columns, he published a similar routine that ends with all of the loose pieces vanishing. If you access to Linking Rings of the mid to late 70’s, it may be a nice build on the "two in the hand, one in the pocket" Plus it won’t look like everyone else’s routine. Smile
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2002-01-17 11:31, DoctorAmazo wrote:
The same moves can be used, impromptu, with almost any small objects. I read a routine on another forum that uses rubber ***roaches! (Probably not too smart in restaurant walk-around, tho...) Smile

I usually go to Zurcher's (it's a party supply store), and they have a bunch of 10 cent little cheapo toys like rubber roaches and such. Anyway, just look through those bins and let your imagination go wild. There are tons of routines that can be created by doing this.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WOW I use to do this about 4 years ago. Its been a while but I did forget the nuts and bolts sizes. I got lucky and hand them at a video store that I use to work at. But can anyone help me with the types of bolts and screws again?
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 07:15, paisa23 wrote:
WOW I use to do this about 4 years ago. Its been a while but I did forget the nuts and bolts sizes. I got lucky and hand them at a video store that I use to work at. But can anyone help me with the types of bolts and screws again?

Paisa23,

I just went to the hardware store and played around with different sizes until I found what I like. There's no set kind that you MUST have.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3133 Posts

Profile of warren
Having seen doc lecture recently he said the nuts and bolts he uses are used on air crafts and are really light in weight compared whith normal nuts and bolts,however if your not bothered about how much they weigh then it doesn't matter.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 08:51, warren wrote:
Having seen doc lecture recently he said the nuts and bolts he uses are used on air crafts and are really light in weight compared whith normal nuts and bolts,however if your not bothered about how much they weigh then it doesn't matter.

I used to manufacture aircraft bolts for a living. They're mostly made of titanium which is, as you said, very light. The company I worked for is now gone, otherwise, I'd offer to get you some. I'm not sure where you'd go to get 'em now.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7292 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well I work in the airforce so I should be ableto get my hands on some. Thanks..
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
395 Posts

Profile of Jay
I sometimes do this, using a large metal nut as the kicker. Then I go into Fleshman's Sonata for Ring and String using the nut instead of a ring.

Jay
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 16:15, Jay wrote:
I sometimes do this, using a large metal nut as the kicker. Then I go into Fleshman's Sonata for Ring and String using the nut instead of a ring.

Jay

That's a great Idea. I love fleshman's routine. I've been doing it for about 10 years. I bought it at a Jim Sisti lecture in 1994 or 1995, best thing I ever bought.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » "All Screwed Up" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL