The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Associated Press story on David Blaine underwater stunt. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
May 1, 2006
Magician Spending Week in Water Bubble
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 5:54 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Take a deep breath. David Blaine's latest stunt is spending a week living in an 8-foot acrylic sphere filled with water.

The 33-year-old magician, shirtless and with an oxygen tube in his mouth, slid into his snow globe-like ''human aquarium'' Monday at Lincoln Center.

In a week, he will remove the device and attempt to hold his breath underwater longer than the record of 8 minutes, 58 seconds.

He also will try to escape from 150 pounds of chains and handcuffs during the breath-holding finale, which will air live in a two-hour ABC special, ''David Blaine: Drowned Alive,'' on May 8 (8 p.m. EDT).

''As a kid, I always was obsessed with Houdini,'' Blaine explained Monday.

''I don't think about death, but I am prepared for it,'' he said, adding that his only fear is ''the fear of the unknown.''

Blaine said he started training in December, with some help from U.S. Navy SEALS. He lost 50 pounds so his body would require less oxygen.

The water in the sphere will be kept at a balanced temperature to help keep his core temperature near 98.6 degrees. His gear includes a diving helmet that allows two-way communication with his support team.

Blaine invites visitors to stop by and wave at him. The water should be nice and clear; he will be fed and, uh, relieve himself by tubes.

His previous feats of endurance include balancing on a small platform for 35 hours, being buried alive in a see-through coffin for a week and surviving inside a massive block of ice for 61 hours. In 2003, he fasted for 44 days in a suspended acrylic box over the Thames River in London.

------

On the Net:

http://www.davidblaine.com

http://abc.go.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
While I know it is hard to stay in water for a long period of time, isn't part of the "endurance" the lack of food and water and "conveniences?"
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
I know this may sound peculiar coming from ME of all people, but I don't believe our good friend Blaine is hooked up properly!

Paul Pacific
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Associated Press story on David Blaine underwater stunt. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL