The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How many cases do you carry for your show?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I have been posting in here trying to find cases for my new act. The size of my props have grown and it is hard to find the right size cases needed.
Sorry I have actually gotten off of my post here. I would like to know from anyone,how many cases, or maybe just case, you use in transporting your birthday shows. And also how do you use in transporting the act to a school? Just kind of curious.

Thank you
Steven
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I use two cases. One is the size of an attache' case, for small stuff and little gaffs that would otherwise get lost. It's actually a little aluminum suitcase that I got at Home Depot for about $20, and it has inserts that you can use to subdivide the inside any way you like. Very handy, durable and also good-looking.

My other case is a large heavy-duty plastic hamper, also from Home Depot. Both cases fit onto a folding wheeled carrier ($25 in KMart), making it very easy to transport everything.

I have also discovered that the more often I packed and repacked, the more compact everything became, simply because I became more efficient at it. When I started, I had double the amount of boxes/crates that I do now. There's nothing like actually doing it to figure out the best way to handle this. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
I transport all my effects in two breif cases.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Too many.
Mister Mystery
RickyD
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of RickyD
Right now, I use one case (sounds like it's the same one sethb is talking about, a $20 aluminum "tool case" from Home Depot) plus one or two things that don't fit into the case (my magic hat, complete with a plush rabbit, and the Joker Box thingy that goes along with my Strat-O-Spheres. My Strat-O-Sphere tubes and balls fit into the case just fine along with everything else.) In fact, I keep most of my magic stored up in the case between shows, so it's ready to go.

I also have my magic table, which folds up and can be carried very easily.

If I'm doing balloons, I also carry a "gift bag" that holds my balloons and my balloon pump.

And honestly, that's it. I can usually make it from my car to wherever I'm performing in one trip, and I have more than enough magic to do my show, with some spare tricks just in case I need them.
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."
-- Philippians 4:23
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2340 Posts

Profile of todsky
One case for birthday parties, two for school shows. I use a Lefler suitcase table, as well as one of those aluminum tool cases. They're both great!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Mws7020 don't ever talk to me again, hehehe just kidding.

2 small cases, I wish I could. This new kids show that I am putting together is makeing me a little crazy. First, I am having trouble finding the kinds of cases that I would like to use as well as finding ones to hold the act. I can get cases for my props but I am trying to use as few as possible. Let me tell you my act so far:

Hippty Hop Rabbits-they are big..20" tall and 6" wide each.
Stratospher
Jumbo the Performing Pachyderm
12" tall Square Circle
13"x9" Tear A Part Vanish
2 Small plastic boxes with silk effects in them
1 Main table-made from Mark Wilson Course
1 Side table-this breaks down to almost fit in a breif case.

So that is my delima, as of now. There will be some things added as time goes on for school shows. I have been told "well your act is just to big","just do close-up","call David Copperfield and see how he does it".

Now I am not kidding here,these are actual answers to my posts. They have come in private messages. I will say that 2 of them said they were just kidding but really didn't offer any advice.

Regan, you don't have to say but I would really like to know how many you need. And Todsky, what are the dimensions of the suitcase table? I have thought about that also because that would eleminate some of the cases and also replace one table.

Now I have been to Eagles Hardware and looked for those cases and I could never find them. Where are they located at in the store?

I want to thank you all who have posted because I really need the advice. The act is not ready for the shows yet but it will be within 4 to 5 months and that is why I wanted to tackle the case situation now and not wait until I have it all ready and then realize I don't have any way to get it to the gig.

Thanks
Steven
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
My recommendations/thoughts:
- never carry more than two cases (if you can't make it in one run to the car it is too much stuff!)
- whatever you put your effects in also needs to function as a table so get rid of the main table or the side table.
- if one of your larger effects is relatively flat and sturdy (e.g. hippety hop rabbits) have a canvas bag/sleeve made and strap this to the outside of your case. I also do this for my performance shoes and side table base as they take up too much valuable storage space
- the individuals that said pack light - were right

my opinionated $0.02

andrew
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I carry my birthday party act in one case (the larger Lefler suitcase table) and my balloons in a Doctor's Bag.

Ron
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Well, I made a mistake with my last post and I said I have looked for cases at Eagles Hardware which has been out of business here in WA for a while now. I meant I have looked at Lowes Hardware.

Andrew, thank you for the advice on the table situation and the bag for the rabbits, never really thought about using a bag like that. And by the way your 2 cents was greatly appreciated.

I have talked to a lot of people that have used the suitcase tables and they really love them. I am just going to have to check into one. I know they come in a few sizes and I want to get the best one,maybe not the biggest,that will work for me.
All of you here have been a store house of information and help. Thank you all.

Thanks
Steven
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I carry most of my props for a kids show in a large plastic tote. I have to carry in the chair suspension, separately.

I carry the props for my show for adults in a large duffle bag.

I carry in additional support equipment, depending on what I need: tray stand for holding the prop case, a duffle with the speaker stand and backdrop frame, a plumber's bag with the backdrop curtains and a long extension cord, a sample case with my microphones and sound cables, my Crate Limo amp, my lights in a case the size of a suitcase.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
How many trips do you make to your vehicle to get all of your props to the performance area? I have not even figured in a back drop or sound system, I was just thinking about the magic props. Wow, a lot to learn here for me. I love it when we can get a good thread going here at the Café' and bring up so many things other helpful information.

Steven
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
In a home-type birthday party, I don't use a "sound system" or backdrop. I will occasionally use a jam box type, but not my full ShowTech with amp and speakers. I usually use my large Lefler table and maybe 1 more case with an effect inside (Khyber Kobra or Jumbo Sidekick), and sometimes my Wacky Wolf "Funhouse". Usually no more than 2 trips, most shows just 1 trip. Bigger shows....NOW we're talking trips!

Steve
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I just went to Home Depot today and finally found one of the metal breifcase. It would be perfect for carrying small items in and it has the foam already in it. I am going back tomorrow to pick one up. It was $24.99 and from the looks of it it will be great. Still not the big case that I am looking for but it will do nicely. Thanks for the tip off about the case.

Thanks
Steven
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Hi Steven,
I use the large Lefler Table/Case for all my birthday parties. A special bag for my bunny cage. I had debated on the smaller Lefler case, glad I got the large one since it fits easily into my car.

Max
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
One trip to every show.

B-day parties= 1 trip

School shows= 1 trip

Church shows= 1 trip

Library shows= 1 trip

You get the idea! My rule of thumb...if it don't fit in the case, it don't go in the show!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I love my large Lefler table. I also have a Viking "Pro-Table", which is very similar. My problem is that the Lefler will fit in the back of my car, standing up, but the Pro-Table is too tall. I drive a Toyota Matrix (a C-U-V) with a cargo area in the back. Just wish the Viking table were a little shorter. It makes up for it with durability, the drawers, locking cabinet and sturdier construction, though.

Steve Thomas
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
In my deluxe show package, I wouldn't want to short my show
by making rules of one trip from the car. No way!
I'm not lazy and don't mind making several trips if needed.
For example I use a live rabbit in every show.
It's obviously in a separate carrier.
If I use a backdrop and audio then there's another trip.
I even have lighting if it's needed.
I carry all the props in a Pro Table.
My approach is to bring theater into the home.
So what's in a few trips? It doesn't waste enough time to worry about.
I can charge a lot more for the top show package too.
So it all just depends on the situation of the particular show.
Daniel Faith
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I hadn't been here in a long time. Steven, sorry it took so long to give you a straight answer. I must a lot like Daniel, because it takes me more than one trip also.

I take my accessory/emergency kit to every show. It's small, but separate. I have a rabbit carrier at most every show, sometimes two. I have 1 large footlocker that is filled with my table tops and shelves that goes to most all shows. I sometimes have a second one if I am doing puppetry or to carry certain props. I have a box filled with my table tripods. I have an old VHS camcorder case I customized into an minidisc case. I have one of the larger Vaultz cases that doubles as a drop box on stage. My wireless mic is in it's own case. Then there's my Fender Passport and 2 tripod speaker stands. I also carry extra speaker cable, connectors, mics, etc. in a seperate box. If I use my backdrop then it is in a case, along with my orange floor-marker cones. If I need the backdrop I also have to take 2 more tripod stands and the cross rod. I also have a small tupperware-type box that goes to most every show, sometimes two. Also a medium sized duffle bag.

It's hard to give an exact number of cases I carry to each show. The type and length of the show will change the number of cases that are required. The particular routines I am doing for a particular show also makes a difference. Certain routines I do are packed in individual cases, from the aluminum briefcase type to the tupperware type. Sometimes the smaller cases can be packed within a footlocker or larger case, but other times they will have to be carried in separately. It just depends upon the show and the routines involved.

The PA system and the curtain take up lot's of room. If I am doing a small show, I sometimes use a boombox instead of all the sound equipment. It saves a lot of load/transport/unload/set-up/tear-down/load/unload time.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
It has been awhile since I posted,sorry been sick here. I am getting the idea from all who have posted that it really varies on how many cases you carry even to the same size show. I have it finally down to 2 cases and a small cases from Home Depot. I am sure as time goes on I will be changing this setup as my show changes. It is kind of funny when I started putting my new show together,I paid way more attention to the props and way to little to the packing of it. I hate that I have to learn from experiance,I am talking about mine and not anyones here. At least I don't have to worry about a show the size of DC. Everyone here have been a great help, and I thank each and everyone of you.

Thanks
Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How many cases do you carry for your show?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL