The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How many cases do you carry for your show?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I have the small & large Lefler tables. The best money I ever spent in magic. I'm organized and self contained. No more suitcases!!! I'm in the process of building a close-up pad that I can set on top of each table for classy closeup routines, as the tables do talk with silver dollars or final loads. Get the Lefler table. You'll thank me later.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
I use a rubbermaid tub that has wheels and a handle on it. I can pack everything in it for the birthday and daycare shows I do. The only thing that doesn't fit is my folding table base that I built.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
I carry one large suitcase with my custom-made wood dump box, it's matching wood center post and removable feet, a few extra show items and the curtains for my backdrop. My floating table, which matches my dumpbox table pretty closely, is in a small aluminum case and my backdrop stand is in it's own carrying bag. Everything goes in one trip. Yesterday, I used this to entertain 317 people for 45 minutes on a large stage. Since I also use standup comedy...it requires a little less magic. They already had the sound system although I have a large portable one of those too.

I like the big stuff but believe that a quality entertainer can make due with a lot less...even for bigger crowds.

Just my .02.
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>"The Master of Mystery"
<BR>www.KeithBrownMagic.com
<BR>
www.TheInvisibleMagicShop.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I will have one suitcase one appearing table bag and a folding table, to put my suitcase on.

The suitcase was for an old vhs camcorder that doesn't work any more. Its padded and has wells in it to hold stuff in place. The table is one of thos old wooden dinner tables that you would see in the seventies that people would use to eat in front of the tv.

I am ordering a mak magic appearing table this afternoon.
-Matt
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Your question was specific to Birthday Shows and I very rarely do one except in connection with some other client relationship. However, two brief cases is usually as small as I travel without doves.

Being raised as a cowboy, I equate the two cases to the drawer on a chuckwagon for odd items that are still needed. Old ranch hands call it the "possibilities" drawer. I can usually invent what ever show is needed from them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
Ok now me -

1 background spider
1 suitcase table small
1 all my stand and cable
1 for another magic ( fantasy magician, wands,ball juggling)
1 bigger wands
1 general magic (mouth coils, tape, glue, gifts and more...)
1 case bogunia routine 3
1 for chair
1 case microphone headset sure
1 pa system

It's a lot or not?
All this you can see in this picture
http://www.planetnana.co.il/dudumagic/setup.JPG
http://www.planetnana.co.il/dudumagic/withwand1.JPG

Dudu
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Dmagic

Who did your art work on your table. Love the look. Is it air brushed or what?

Steven
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
My friend make the picture .
It's called "air brush" I think ...

Dudu
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
For my corporate show just one catalogue case and for my kids show one slightly larger case with a tray jack, the corporate show case just sits on a chair. Namely of my gigs are in situations where anything more would become very difficult.

Gil Scott
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I guess I just can't make it work with the 'pack small, play big' philosophy, so I end up taking a lot of stuff to each show...For starters, I use a large Lefler suitcase table; then I have a small bag that carries my speaker and microphone; another bag to hold my MP3Tech; and then of course there's the speaker stand; and whoops! Can't forget the Elusive Bunny Box!
For me, trying to cut back on the 'luggage' would be nothing more than laziness on my part. I figure I'm getting paid good money for just an hour of my time, so the least I could do is invest another few minutes and not skimp on the props.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Depends on the Show,

for a b-day party or small show (30 min show)

Lefler suitcase table
Gator Speaker bag for the Rabbit tricks (2)
Spider table
Small folding table
Open top box for a couple of tricks

Larger show (Small club) 50 to 60 min show

All of above Plus (with different content)
A power yard blower
Fairchild Dirt extractor

Next year
A trailer full (lights, sound, backdrop, props)
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Does anybody use a Viking "Pro-Table"? I have a Lefler table, too. Comments?

Steve
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 08:29, Matthew W wrote:
I will have one suitcase one appearing table bag and a folding table, to put my suitcase on.

The suitcase was for an old vhs camcorder that doesn't work any more. Its padded and has wells in it to hold stuff in place. The table is one of thos old wooden dinner tables that you would see in the seventies that people would use to eat in front of the tv.

I am ordering a mak magic appearing table this afternoon.

The appearing table never happened, instead a built a Lefler style table that's extra wide and will still use the folding table. So I will have the suitcase and stand, lefler style table, and folding table

I will be carrying that for every show, The suitcase has the same props for every show and the lefler table will have props switched out depending on the show.

Including a cd player, I will be carrying 5 things. Everything rolls in strapped to the lefler table with bungee cords that I use with the suitcase. I find it necessary.

Go ahead, tell me I have too much stuff, lol.
-Matt
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Right now for my act,I use 1 briefcase,but since my act is getting bigger,i'll soon need another breifcase.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
2 cases -Handheld & 2 tables for all shows not involving Illusions
which is a whole different game!!!
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
I carry ONE Bag and ONE Table and a cd player. Not much.
HowaboutBob
View Profile
New user
south of atlanta
54 Posts

Profile of HowaboutBob
Two cases. Pull from the one on the right and ditch to the one on the left.
Resets the show as I go. These are the home depot cases with my signs on the front. Two small collapsible tables for the cases and a small pa with Ipod.

Bob
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
WOW!!!!! The Thread that refuses to die....I think this is great. This has held on for a long time. So many posts and great ideas. I originaly started it to find out how many cases you carried with you because I was trying to put my new show together. Well after about 10 different re workings of the act I can finaly say that..I am no closer to finding out how many cases I am needing than when I started this venture. I can at least say it is still a work in progress and the act is pretty much done. I have learned to say, "pretty much done" with this crazy act. I am working on getting the right cases but I know after reading the posts here that there are so many different variations on, "the right cases" as there are carpenter ants at my parents house...Sorry an inside joke there.
I do have a question for anyone that wants to answer, and I hope this will not kill the thread, but what do you think of the soft luggage cases on wheels that they sell at places like WalMart? I found a 29" one that lookes like it would hold just about the whole act minus my table and sound system. Oh yes and my square circle, my Performing Pachaderm, my...well you get the idea. What does anyone think about these cases. I was thinking about the big 29" one with a lineing of medium thick foam for protection.
Anyway thanks for all the posts and I look forward to reading more.

Thank you
Steven
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
If its a smaller stand-up type show, I try to keep it down to 2-3 cases.

When it comes to our larger scale show, everything is transported in a 12 foot, enclosed Haulmark trailer. In our current show, we use around 20-30 road cases, give or take, plus other miscellaneous items, extra BOR merch., personal luggage, etc.
We travel with an entirely self-contained show that can be set-up just about anywhere. We carry our own backdrops, sound system, lighting...

It is a lot of work to set up, and I'm glad I have the help from our crew, if it wasn't for that, the show would take me forever to setup!

The best advice that I can give everyone, this includes small to large performances... Plan out your setup on paper. When we arrive at the venue, we all have our own list of things to do to get the show setup fairly fast!

For an example, here's a couple simple lists that keep us organized...

My assistants list

1. Load in
2. Co-ordinate helpers
3. Backdrops
4. Hang fixtures & hazer
5. Run electrical and DMX
6. Test tech & focus fixtures
7. Crank up truss
8. Tape cords
9. Jumbo sidekick
10. Arrange backstage
11. Set up small props
12. Sub-trunk
12. Organize

My list

Load in
Co-ordinate helpers
Move cases
Guillotine
Lighting Tech
Sound Tech
Focus fixtures
Wiz-kote
Silk to egg table
Floating table
Appearance illusion
Organize!

Most of the cases we use are custom-made, so everything fits great, and we have yet to damage anything during transport!

Hope this helped!

Sam
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Samp321 One of these days I might have a show that large. I don't know, it would be nice. A lot of good info in your post also. Lots of performers don't really give a lot of attention to the load in and load out sequence. Well a lot of performers I know that is. It must be tough to carry a full show like that on a regular basis. I had a show years ago that was pretty good size but still small in comparison to yours. Loved it so much and wish I still had it going, or at least one like it. I really enjoyed the travel and setting up. Got to be a lot of work but it was still a lot of fun when I did it. I was a WHOLE lot younger then too but still I look back on it with awe and great acheivement. I got out of magic for a lot of years and decided to get back in a different mode this time. A lot ssmaller then before but I am finding out not as easy as I though it might be. Thanks for the post. Good luck with your show and let us know here when you are in the area of Seattle, if at all. Thanks again.
Happy Magic
Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How many cases do you carry for your show?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL