The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How many cases do you carry for your show?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I cannot stress how important I have found to have a list and know what you are doing when you show up!
Up until a month ago or so, we would arrive at the venue, scramble around and try to get the show set-up. There is so much time wasted when you have no idea what to do... It helps so much when you have a list.

Steven, we do not really have a traditional illusion show, we are slowly building and getting more illusions all the time. Although it is not really an 'illusion show' we travel with quite a big lighting setup in my opinion, and of course sound, etc.

Because of the list, we have been able to get the show setup in a little less than 3 hours, using just two people who know what they are doing, and usually one or to other helpers from the venue.

Like I said, almost everything in the show has a very strong road case. This is so important when you are not just traveling, but also letting others handle your props. Road cases are great!
But when you show up at the airport with a large case, they sure take you into the back and talk with you about the case, and x-ray everything... At least that's my experience. When you are flying, it may be better to travel with your props in a normal looking suitcase.

Also, sometimes it is important to watch what other helpers touch, when trying to help load-in the show. For example, I'm the only one that is aloud to open the case to, and set-up the floating table. I do let my assistant carry it, but she knows how careful she must be, and the cost of it.

The show is a ton of fun to do and I love to travel with it, but it is hard work. No one likes striking the show after a hard day's work, but its all part of the job.

One other point I want to touch on, which is kind of straying from the topic, but rather advice on traveling and packing in general. The easier and more 'idiot proof' you can make your setup, the better.
We once traveled with all are PAR's in one road case, and to setup you had to individually bolt all the fixtures to the stand. This took forever!
In the very near future, we are having some system cages built for us (out of lightweight aluminum) for our PAR's. For those of you who do not know what system cages are, let me explain... In a nutshell it is a large rectangular cage structure which houses four PAR's, and the dimmer. The advantage of this is that the cages have a socket on the bottom, so they are easily put in place onto of a light stand, other advantages are that there is no set-up time required, as all the fixtures are permanently bolted into the cage, plus since they are in the cage, they are protected from damage for the most part.
I will be getting these built in the next month of so and I'll post some pictures when I get them in.

Enjoy.

Sam
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]
On this note, was wondering how you guys handle doing corporate gigs where there is a dinner and you are the after dinner entertainment. You need to walk in and do your show but you don't want to be seen to be "setting up". Do you guys come hours earlier or do you have assistants do the work for you so you can stay in the waiting room? Do you walk in with your case(s) or have them set up hours ahead of time before guests arrive? (I am a little conscious of doing this due to curious/prying eyes)

I ask because I have a gig in which I will be performing after dinner and am not sure how to handle this aspect (lighting, audio, cases etc.)
[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi-

I always arrive at theses events 2-3 hrs before the first guests arrive, a few trips to the car-sound equipment checks etc all take time, you must be so professional at these corporate events

The hour before the show is when you mentally convert from prop man to Professional corporate entertainer! Very important-no rush-you need to relax in this time-not be fixing stuff 5 mins before you are on!!

Always arrive early!!

Cheers

-Brent
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
The System Cubs/Cages just cam in, complete with LED fixtures! They are great and will speed up set-up alot!

Is anyone interested to seeing pictures, or should I not bother?

Sam
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
A pic would be awesome Sam!
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Since I have a ton of stuff to load in, I got one of these a few years ago.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/R......u=699404

It'll hold a 12U SKU rack, two Peavey PR-12 speakers a footlocker, a suitcase, 3 instrument cases, speaker stands, two folding tables & a folding chair.

Or 2 footlockers, a large Lefler box, 2 instrument cases, two Crate PE-10 speakers, speaker stands, the tabels & chair.

Without a doubt, one of the best investments I ever made.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have one of those too and it is FANTASTIC
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magic1962
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magic1962
Quote:
On 2006-05-19 12:03, Regan wrote:
I hadn't been here in a long time. Steven, sorry it took so long to give you a straight answer. I must a lot like Daniel, because it takes me more than one trip also.

I take my accessory/emergency kit to every show. It's small, but separate. I have a rabbit carrier at most every show, sometimes two. I have 1 large footlocker that is filled with my table tops and shelves that goes to most all shows. I sometimes have a second one if I am doing puppetry or to carry certain props. I have a box filled with my table tripods. I have an old VHS camcorder case I customized into an minidisc case. I have one of the larger Vaultz cases that doubles as a drop box on stage. My wireless mic is in it's own case. Then there's my Fender Passport and 2 tripod speaker stands. I also carry extra speaker cable, connectors, mics, etc. in a seperate box. If I use my backdrop then it is in a case, along with my orange floor-marker cones. If I need the backdrop I also have to take 2 more tripod stands and the cross rod. I also have a small tupperware-type box that goes to most every show, sometimes two. Also a medium sized duffle bag.

It's hard to give an exact number of cases I carry to each show. The type and length of the show will change the number of cases that are required. The particular routines I am doing for a particular show also makes a difference. Certain routines I do are packed in individual cases, from the aluminum briefcase type to the tupperware type. Sometimes the smaller cases can be packed within a footlocker or larger case, but other times they will have to be carried in separately. It just depends upon the show and the routines involved.

The PA system and the curtain take up lot's of room. If I am doing a small show, I sometimes use a boombox instead of all the sound equipment. It saves a lot of load/transport/unload/set-up/tear-down/load/unload time.

Regan

I have been told that my show is way to big... I do carry it in a 6x8 trailer... Like I have stated before I do a lot of Walt Shepards illusions and those really don't break down that much... for schools, fairs, corporations and festivals it can take an hour to set up... I use doves and rabbits in the show... I don't do ALOT of shows but when I do, I like to do a full WOW show but recently after talking to a number of magicians... even from on here, I am thinking of having a smaller show to do some birthday parties... I am just not sure what to put in it yet... Happy New Year to ALL............. Dave
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi there Steven,
Todd75 Gave all of us here a web.WWW.makeupkits.com. Check to see if it's good for you. Through the years I have made my own for each piece of equipment I have.
That is if your handy in wood shop working or alike. You may simply have them made, Check also in the musical stores. Moving companies,storage companies ect.
Hope it helps. Best rgards DonRodrigo.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-12-23 15:37, Beano wrote:
Since I have a ton of stuff to load in, I got one of these a few years ago.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/R......u=699404

It'll hold a 12U SKU rack, two Peavey PR-12 speakers a footlocker, a suitcase, 3 instrument cases, speaker stands, two folding tables & a folding chair.

Or 2 footlockers, a large Lefler box, 2 instrument cases, two Crate PE-10 speakers, speaker stands, the tabels & chair.

Without a doubt, one of the best investments I ever made.

These are great carts. Just one piece of advice. Replace the pneumatic wheels with solid rubber ones. You will have to replace the whole wheel, not just the tire. I learned this the hard way. A friend of mine was helping me, and he plunked my levitation straight down on the frame right above the pneumatic wheels. I had two flats, simultaneously. Now that can't happen.

What I carry depends on the show. Sometimes, it's a vanful. Sometimes it's one trunk. Sometimes I work out of my pockets.

For Renaissance festivals, I built a big wooden trunk out of marine grade plywood. It is finished with marine varnish and it is on wooden skids. It's too heavy for a vandal or thief to lift by himself. I put a big lock on it, and I can lock my toys away during the week.

I cover it with a plastic tarp when the park is closed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill, I have a flat on one of my tires right now. I need to try and fix it, but I may check into the solid wheels. The air-filled tires are easy to roll though, and that is one reason I opted for them in the first place. Do the solid rubber tires make much difference in how easy the Rock 'N Roller rolls?

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How many cases do you carry for your show?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL